Why is football such a big deal in the south?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Why is football such a big deal in the south? I know it's a big deal in the US as a whole, but it seems to be a religion in the south.

Its a tough sport, and you can get the whole town behind it. It is like the whole town is going to war against the next town over.

Plus it is cheap like soccer is. You just need open space, and a ball. You dont need a hoop, or stick, and helment.

because most of the south is still almost tribal.
certain groups work certain jobs.
one group belongs to a parish and another group belongs to another parish.
there is territorial awareness that doesn't really exist in urban areas, gangs notwithstanding.

the economy of the south has been historically depressed so sports provide an outlet from
the daily, mundane existence there.

but, man do they produce some good athletes.

Because outside of fucking their cousins that’s all they have.

Because it’s the best. And not as restricted to certain body types as those pussy sports.

The mid west also. That’s all there is to do In certain parts of the country.

Some high school games have huge turnouts

Its a tough sport, and you can get the whole town behind it. It is like the whole town is going to war against the next town over.

Plus it is cheap like soccer is. You just need open space, and a ball. You dont need a hoop, or stick, and helment.

Lol what?

Football is cheaper than basketball?

Lol what?

Football is cheaper than basketball?

as long as you are not wearing the pads, and helmets yes. You just need a field, any field. It does not have to be a sport specific field either. For basketball, you must have a hoop, unless you just play keep away.

Also you dont have to have the full 11 man team. You can just do receivers, QBs, DBs. That way, you definitely dont need the full field.

as long as you are not wearing the pads, and helmets yes. You just need a field, any field. It does not have to be a sport specific field either. For basketball, you must have a hoop, unless you just play keep away.

Also you dont have to have the full 11 man team. You can just do receivers, QBs, DBs. That way, you definitely dont need the full field.
You can use a milk crate as a basket

Anyway it's not real unless you play organised

Organised football with pads and helmet is way more expensive than organised basketball

because most of the south is still almost tribal.
certain groups work certain jobs.
one group belongs to a parish and another group belongs to another parish.
there is territorial awareness that doesn't really exist in urban areas, gangs notwithstanding.

the economy of the south has been historically depressed so sports provide an outlet from
the daily, mundane existence there.

but, man do they produce some good athletes.

This is probably the best answer ITT.

You can use a milk crate as a basket

Anyway it's not real unless you play organised

Organised football with pads and helmet is way more expensive than organised basketball

The football field can be shared with soccer and track and field (track around the field). Organized soccer and football have more players so costs gets more spread out I guess. And old people can use the track too. Plus there is marching band that will use it.

There are only so many boise dimes to go around.

Boise is technically midwest i guess. But same thing applies.

Church
Football
Hunting

Buuuut. Real christians wouldnt hunt. Fish yes.

The football field can be shared with soccer and track and field (track around the field). Organized soccer and football have more players so costs gets more spread out I guess. And old people can use the track too. Plus there is marching band that will use it.
Are you being for real? There as more hoops around than football fields in almost any town/city in North America. You also don't need nearly is many people. Hell, I shoot around in my driveway alone. Basketball is far, far more accessible than football to play recreationally.

Are you being for real? There as more hoops around than football fields in almost any town/city in North America. You also don't need nearly is many people. Hell, I shoot around in my driveway alone. Basketball is far, far more accessible than football to play recreationally.

Nah you need a hoop. Like the other poster said, about crates, how will you and where will you hang one up that high? You need a ladder. What kid has a ladder? You cannot just hang on a street light, or telephone pole. The city, and telephone company will not let you. Trees have branches. A brick wall? No you need some nail gun, and what kid has nail gun?

Nah you need a hoop. Like the other poster said, about crates, how will you and where will you hang one up that high? You need a ladder. What kid has a ladder? You cannot just hang on a street light, or telephone pole. The city, and telephone company will not let you. Trees have branches. A brick wall? No you need some nail gun, and what kid has nail gun?
Are you retarded? Does every school, playground, park, or driveway in the burbs not have a hoop? Wherever there is a soccer field there is a hoop at minimum. There are far more hoops than fucking football fields and you only need one or two people. If you truly think that football is a more accessible sport than basketball I'm gonna have to come to new York and fuck you up. Even kickball needs bunch of :eek::eek::eek:s or a net. Basketball is likely the most accessible sport on earth.

Are you retarded? Does every school, playground, park, or driveway in the burbs not have a hoop? Wherever there is a soccer field there is a hoop at minimum. There are far more hoops than fucking football fields and you only need one or two people. If you truly think that football is a more accessible sport than basketball I'm gonna have to come to new York and fuck you up. Even kickball needs bunch of :eek::eek::eek:s or a net. Basketball is likely the most accessible sport on earth.

The school has to be open and allow you in. After school the kids usually cant stay in the school. Again, you dont actually need the football field to play football. Small kids can play in the backyard, or even on a farm field.

The whole "cost" argument is retarded.

Here is the country that produces- by far- the most high-quality baseball players:

2.jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAj9AAAAJDEwMjgwMGM4LTJiNDctNDAzZS04NGMxLWIyM2VhNmJjYTMzMg.jpg

practicing-640x381.jpg

OMG their Louisville sluggers aren't even bats! And some of them aren't even wearing gloves!!!

The whole "cost" argument is retarded.

Here is the country that produces- by far- the most high-quality baseball players:

2.jpg

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAj9AAAAJDEwMjgwMGM4LTJiNDctNDAzZS04NGMxLWIyM2VhNmJjYTMzMg.jpg

practicing-640x381.jpg

OMG their Louisville sluggers aren't even bats! And some of them aren't even wearing gloves!!!

well they arent "playing" baseball, they just doing batting practice really.

Why is football such a big deal in the south? I know it's a big deal in the US as a whole, but it seems to be a religion in the south.

I think what you mean to reference is the popularity of college football in the south. The answer is there are no professional sports teams in patches of the south.

Last edited:
Back