Why is it a bad time to build a gaming PC?

if one builds a bitchin gaming pc, how long on average can they expect the machine to be of use before it starts becoming obsolete? 2 years? longer?
My experience has been similar to the other person who replied to you. My last PC lasted for 6 years with just video card upgrades. I didn't really need to upgrade my video cards, but I wanted to continue playing games at higher settings. My PC also didn't stop working or anything, but eventually there was enough stuff that I wanted to change that it felt like the time to build a new one.

My experience has been similar to the other person who replied to you. My last PC lasted for 6 years with just video card upgrades. I didn't really need to upgrade my video cards, but I wanted to continue playing games at higher settings. My PC also didn't stop working or anything, but eventually there was enough stuff that I wanted to change that it felt like the time to build a new one.

once it becomes somewhat obsolete for gaming, you can easily transition it towards menial office work right?
or do you deconstruct and sell it?

once it becomes somewhat obsolete for gaming, you can easily transition it towards menial office work right?
or do you deconstruct and sell it?
I usually give the parts to friends that can use them because I have a personal laptop that I use for work, and my main PC does office work fine. I don't really need a second desktop at home.

I don't see why it wouldn't still be able to handle MS Office/email though.

Something I did in college was use my desktop for 3D modeling. I had to have a laptop that could do that too, especially if I was working with a group somewhere, but it was nice to use my desktop when possible because it was a good bit faster.

I usually give the parts to friends that can use them because I have a personal laptop that I use for work, and my main PC does office work fine. I don't really need a second desktop at home.

I don't see why it wouldn't still be able to handle MS Office/email though.

do you game exclusively on PC or do you also have PS4 and X1 ?

do you game exclusively on PC or do you also have PS4 and X1 ?
I have a PS4, although I've used it less as publishers have started porting more stuff over to PC. The quality of the average PC port is also a lot better than it used to be.

how much would a gaming pc like that set one back on average?
The consoles used extremely lowend hardware for this generation for the first time ever so it made PC gaming very easy this generation.

Mid tier builds in 2012-2013 had quad core i5s with 8 gigs of ram which is still good for todays games (even i5s back then where like 3 to 4 times faster than the consoles CPU). Users like the guy you quoted simply sold there card old card and then paid the price difference for something more modern and it vastly extended the life of the PC

The consoles used extremely lowend hardware for this generation for the first time ever so it made PC gaming very easy this generation.

Mid tier builds in 2012-2013 had quad core i5s with 8 gigs of ram which is still good for todays games (even i5s back then where like 3 to 4 times faster than the consoles CPU). Users like the guy you quoted simply sold there card old card and then paid the price difference for something more modern and it vastly extended the life of the PC

appreciate the advice as i am contemplating whether i want to play RDR2 on PC or PS4 when it comes out.

appreciate the advice as i am contemplating whether i want to play RDR2 on PC or PS4 when it comes out.
RDR2 is not coming out on PC, at least initially. Rockstar never announced it, but I don't believe they denied it may happen.

if one builds a bitchin gaming pc, how long on average can they expect the machine to be of use before it starts becoming obsolete? 2 years? longer?
If done right, you can build a system that will last for 5+ years easily. You may want to get new GPU along the way depending on how games and technology progresses.

Yea, I was looking to add another 1080ti until I saw that my liquid cooled model was a fucking grand a year and a half later!

The good news is that there are better chips than GPUs for mining now and hopeful the miners will flock to those and inflate their prices like the cockroaches they are.

I'm running a Core i3 1151 with a 1050 Ti, will I see better performance upgrading the gpu or buying a I5?

I just recently built a pc.

From my research and countless hours surfing around, I found the best bang for your buck would be to buy a barebones DIY kit.

These will come with a case, power supply, cpu, aftermarket cpu cooler and motherboard. (some bundles include ram)

Then you find the best deals on a SSD, GPU, RAM and for me personally a wifi card.

From what I can tell the price point of motherboards with built in wifi wasn't worth the additional cost.

The biggest point of concern is some bundles will have 2 solid parts then the other parts will be trash.

You will see better performance in gaming upgrading your GPU. The GTX 1060 6GB would be a nice little upgrade.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3639vs3649

..or wait to for NVidia to launch new cards...at some point...maybe.

NO you are wrong. For Gaming he will see more of an increase upgrading to an i5. If he is running an i3 with a 1050 the i3 is currently the bottleneck.

Also the i3 doesn't support turbo boosting

NO you are wrong. For Gaming he will see more of an increase upgrading to an i5. If he is running an i3 with a 1050 the i3 is currently the bottleneck.

Also the i3 doesn't support turbo boosting

You are basing this on what?

The lowest i3 for socket LGA 1151 he is probably running is an i3-6100. Here is gaming benchmarks for it against an i7-4790K and it only a couple of frames behind, and that is with a GTX 980.

Here are gaming benchmarks showing that it contends with an i5-4430.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html

Sorry, it is you that is wrong here.

You are basing this on what?

The lowest i3 for socket LGA 1151 he is probably running is an i3-6100. Here is gaming benchmarks for it against an i7-4790K and it only a couple of frames behind, and that is with a GTX 980.

Here are gaming benchmarks showing that it contends with an i5-4430.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html

Sorry, it is you that is wrong here.

Um 6100 vs 4970 then a 4430.

Why would he upgrade to a new generation then use a lower performance shelf?

The comparisons aren't honest.

Its like he's asking if he should upgrade his 2003 lambo to a 2005 lambo and you're like naw dog the 2003 lambo crushes that 2005 civic.

Apples to Apples, not apples to oranges.

Um 6100 vs 4970 then a 4430.

Why would he upgrade to a new generation then use a lower performance shelf?

The comparisons aren't honest.

Its like he's asking if he should upgrade his 2003 lambo to a 2005 lambo and you're like naw dog the 2003 lambo crushes that 2005 civic.

Apples to Apples, not apples to oranges.

Why those comparisons, Well because the i7-4970K is still a very good gaming CPU.

But if you want to compare it to an i5-5600,

In most games only a few FPS. No go and compare the difference between a GTX 1060 6GB card and a GTX 1050Ti.

Or lets put it this way, an i5-7600 is only around 39% more powerful then a i3-6100. While a GTX 1060 6GB is around 85% more powerful then a GTX 1050ti.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7600-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/3890vs3511

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/3639vs3649

...and of course this is going by him having a i3-6100, he could have a much newer or higher clocked i3.

Just got a MSI GTX 1070 ti Armor for 389. It was $479 - 25 retailmenot, -25 Chase cash back\w paypal payment, -20 rebate card, $-20 steam card. Lowest price I've been able to get in months.

Just got a MSI GTX 1070 ti Armor for 389. It was $479 - 25 retailmenot, -25 Chase cash back\w paypal payment, -20 rebate card, $-20 steam card. Lowest price I've been able to get in months.
That’s an insane deal. I paid $419 for a gigabyte g1 gaming 1070 at launch.

Back