Why is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Some dude hit my rearview today while i was parked at a busy intersection and it got me wondering why its legal? Seems really dangerous. (Im in Nevada. Not sure if it is legal everywhere). Is there actual rationale as to why its legal or is it just because?

Because motorcyclists are too cool for school. Unless it's motorcycle repair school, then yea bruh I'm going to motorcycle repair school in Florida!

Some dude hit my rearview today while i was parked at a busy intersection and it got me wondering why its legal? Seems really dangerous. (Im in Nevada. Not sure if it is legal everywhere). Is there actual rationale as to why its legal or is it just because?

If someone happens to open a door in stopped traffic while a motorcycle is doing that, it could be bad news.

It's statistically safer to allow motorcycles to split lanes in slow moving traffic and at intersections. Motorcycles are significantly more likely to get rear ended, which could have much worse consequences for the biker. Allowing them to occupy the space between cars is safer for them. And in high congestion areas, it helps alleviate traffic to a small degree.

But yeah, that guy was a douche for hitting your mirror. I dont know if lane splitting is legal on Nevada. As far as I know, the only state to officially legalize it has been California.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Was he a wizard?

The biggest danger from lane splitting are drivers who are butthurt that someone "cut the line".

Because bike riders save a lot of lives with all of the organs they donate

I remember when I was a kid, my mom was stopped at a light. A motorcyclist wasn't paying attention and rearended the car. The front wheel rolled up the trunk, did a wheelie, then fell on his butt.

It was funny.

As to the question at hand: Are you sure it's legal?

On that note: Why aren't bicyclists ticketed more if they are breaking traffic laws on the road?

Probably because they end up too close to your car and end up in the blind spot.

It doesn't bother me when traffic is slow. What bothers me if when I'm driving fast and the motorcycles are still zigzagging around cars. I don't think I've ever seen a motorcycle not speeding.

If I'm going 80 and a motorcycle is still zipping past me, that means these guys are going 90 and above.

And it's not about "cutting", it's about them driving unsafely and making other drivers have to worry about hitting them.

It's statistically safer to allow motorcycles to split lanes in slow moving traffic and at intersections. Motorcycles are significantly more likely to get rear ended, which could have much worse consequences for the biker. Allowing them to occupy the space between cars is safer for them. And in high congestion areas, it helps alleviate traffic to a small degree.

But yeah, that guy was a douche for hitting your mirror. I dont know if lane splitting is legal on Nevada. As far as I know, the only state to officially legalize it has been California.
Interesting. Im pretty sure its legal here. Someone told me they can also treat red lights like stop signs because they're not bright enough to trigger the light sensors

It's legal because a lot of motorcycles are air cooled and even bikes with radiators get extremely hot when not moving. We can't have all these clapped out bikes starting on fire during rush hour.

It's legal because a lot of motorcycles are air cooled and even bikes with radiators get extremely hot when not moving. We can't have all these clapped out bikes starting on fire during rush hour.
<{hfved}>

I remember when I was a kid, my mom was stopped at a light. A motorcyclist wasn't paying attention and rearended the car. The front wheel rolled up the trunk, did a wheelie, then fell on his butt.

It was funny.

As to the question at hand: Are you sure it's legal?

On that note: Why aren't bicyclists ticketed more if they are breaking traffic laws on the road?
Not sure its legal but i see it all the time.

Maybe because bicycles arent motorized

Because motorcyclists are too cool for school. Unless it's motorcycle repair school, then yea bruh I'm going to motorcycle repair school in Florida!

Make sure you get a good internship right out the gate.

Network when you get there x100.

Found the footage of TS's accident earlier today:

Man-pushed-under-burning-car.gif

Back