Why is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal?

Why is lane splitting on a motorcycle legal? Some dude hit my rearview today while i was parked at a busy intersection and it got me wondering why its legal? Seems really dangerous. (Im in Nevada. Not sure if it is legal everywhere). Is there actual rationale as to why its legal or is it just because?

It is not legal in Nevada. I think you meant to say your side mirror. The rear view mirror is inside the car. The map below shows in 'red' and 'black' the states where it is illegal to 'lane split'. California, as always, has to be special and fuck things up.

640px-USA_lane_splitting_legality.png

It is not legal in Nevada. I think you meant to say your side mirror. The rear view mirror is inside the car. The map below shows in 'red' and 'black' the states where it is illegal to 'lane split'. California, as always, has to be special and fuck things up.

I knew it was legal in some places and i see it so frequently i just assumed it was

Last edited:
I knew it was legal in some places and i see it so cequently i just assumed it was.

I hate those idiots. If you travel (and drive) to South America, Brazil in particular, that is the only place those idiots will ride their bikes. They will drive by very fast (city), and on the highways they will still drive in between lanes going 30 mph over the posted speed. When I see one dead lying on the side of the road for being stupid it is hard to feel sorry for the guy. If you cut them off, they like to drive next to your car and kick your side mirror off. I just drive them off the road...'but I did not see you, I was playing with my radio.' In Brazil, a full face helmet is mandatory by law.

Interesting. Im pretty sure its legal here. Someone told me they can also treat red lights like stop signs because they're not bright enough to trigger the light sensors

Yeah, I googled it. Apparently some states simply don't have laws pertaining to lane splitting. California is the only state that has explicitly legalized it though.

I hate people on motorcycles. They think they own the road and ride them like the biggest dicks on earth.

I knew it was legal in some places and i see it so frequently i just assumed it was
Chances are it was some Californian.

Seems like any difference in motorcycle law from state to state startles people. Once I was going through Arizona and they don't have to wear a helmet and I stared at every bald head with fascination. The part I was going through did not have much else by way of scenery. I have a biker friend that comes into town and every time some splits the lane next to me he almost cries out. "Biker friend" doesn't sound like I should be bandying that term about, especially concerning one that cries out.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Was he a wizard?

Almost every mirror on a vehicle is a rearview mirror. School buses are the only exception I can think of as they also have a mirror to see in front of the bus to make sure children are clear of the area.

Where is the rearview mirror on a motorcycle?

Wisconsin is a State where it is also illegal.
— 11 —
Wisconsin Motorcyclists' Handbook
May 2017

wisconsindmv.gov
MOTORCYCLE LAWS
Motorcyclists are entitled to
use a full traffic lane. You may
not ride in any part of a lane
occupied by another vehicle
except when two cyclists agree
to ride side by side in one lane.

Almost every mirror on a vehicle is a rearview mirror. School buses are the only exception I can think of as they also have a mirror to see in front of the bus to make sure children are clear of the area.

The rearview mirror on a car is inside, in the middle.

The side mirrors are on each... y'know... side.

giphy.gif

Where is the rearview mirror on a motorcycle?

He wasn't driving a motorcycle.

The rearview mirror on a car is inside, in the middle.

The side mirrors are on each... y'know... side.

giphy.gif

He wasn't driving a motorcycle.

The law requires every vehicle to have a rearview mirror but it doesn't have to be inside. It is a mirror that you see the view to the rear. Vans without rear windows have rearview mirrors but not inside.

The law requires every vehicle to have a rearview mirror but it doesn't have to be inside. It is a mirror that you see the view to the rear. Vans without rear windows have rearview mirrors but not inside.

Go into an Auto Zone and ask for a rearview mirror for your car, see what they hand ya.

Everyone knows what a rearview mirror is, including the TS, who corrected himself after I joked with him about it.

Yet here you come, trying to argue about nothin'.

6i7FSgT.gif

Go into an Auto Zone and ask for a rearview mirror for your car, see what they hand ya.

Everyone knows what a rearview mirror is, including the TS, who corrected himself after I joked with him about it.

Yet here you come, trying to argue about nothin'.

6i7FSgT.gif

Trying to have an intelligent discussion with some one like you who appears to be lacking in that department so I'll leave it to Merriam-Webster.
Definition of rearview mirror

:a mirror (as in an automobile) that gives a view of the area behind a vehicle
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rearview mirror

In NYC lanes means nothing regardless of what you are driving/riding.

I always see signs for telling people to watch for motorcyclists. Problem is a a majority drive like complete assholes.

Chopper/Harley riders tend to drive a little more safely, but they feel the need to rev their engines at stoplights especially if the have modded pipes so fuck them too.

Back