Why isn't the jab utilized as much in Kickboxing?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason tied to the inclusion of kicks?

I have sparred WAKO style Kickboxing for several years in my club and the jab has always been second nature to me even before I starting to train boxing.

I see high level kickboxers use most boxing techniques to decent effect but the jab is the exception. It's almost as if you could tell a boxer and KB apart in their hands by the frequency and venom of their jab.

The difference in ranges and fighter skill sets .. plus think about it if you were fighting under a kickboxing rule set why bring yourself into kicking range trying to punch... plus from what I've seen they mainly just use the teep as a jab

The difference in ranges and fighter skill sets .. plus think about it if you were fighting under a kickboxing rule set why bring yourself into kicking range trying to punch... plus from what I've seen they mainly just use the teep as a jab

The thing is, a good jab can be a power punch. Semmi Schilt knocked down Badr Hari with one.

1) I'm not convinced your premise is correct, I'd need to see some stats of high level, successful KBers and their use of the jab (edit: including what range they were at at the time). It's certainly not uncommon at the least for high level kickers to use it.

2) Many kickers probably came from TMAs. I'm not sure what the full history of the jab is, but many eastern styles focus on single powerful rear hand punches. I would make an educated guess the jab developed very recently compared to say, several thousand year old Indian martial arts or whatever.

Boxers use the jab as a range finder. Some even leave the lead hand extended. If you do that, you can easily get your lead hand trapped and eat a knee.

As for range finder, kickboxers are used to a different range and range finder. They like to fight on the outside more and use teeps as their range finder. You're either outside throwing kicks or in the pocket throwing hooks and uppercuts or inside throwing elbows and knees.

If you can throw a jab, you can throw a kick. I'm sure they throw jabs too but there's just so much more options. They mix it up and therefore you will see less jabs thrown.

If everything is equal you will 50% less jabs between a boxer and a kickboxer who also uses a teep as a jab. But most kickboxers will prefer to kick so you will see jab use even less. Not even going to get into roundhouses and inside leg kick and stuff. All these will lower the use of a jab.

Boxers use the jab as a range finder. Some even leave the lead hand extended. If you do that, you can easily get your lead hand trapped and eat a knee.

As for range finder, kickboxers are used to a different range and range finder. They like to fight on the outside more and use teeps as their range finder. You're either outside throwing kicks or in the pocket throwing hooks and uppercuts or inside throwing elbows and knees.

If you can throw a jab, you can throw a kick. I'm sure they throw jabs too but there's just so much more options. They mix it up and therefore you will see less jabs thrown.

If everything is equal you will 50% less jabs between a boxer and a kickboxer who also uses a teep as a jab. But most kickboxers will prefer to kick so you will see jab use even less. Not even going to get into roundhouses and inside leg kick and stuff. All these will lower the use of a jab.

Seen plenty of K1 fights back in the day in which the fighters are frequently in range to throw jabs, yet refrain from doing so. And that goes for both fighters. It's as if systematic jab tactics are completely discounted.

Seen plenty of K1 fights back in the day in which the fighters are frequently in range to throw jabs, yet refrain from doing so. And that goes for both fighters. It's as if systematic jab tactics are completely discounted.

Here's some counter. I use the 2nd one a lot.

Another theory is kickboxers and muay thai specifically don't use head movement as much or not as exaggerated. In boxing I see guys jab then dip or some other huge head movements. In KB you will get kneed or head kicked. I know for me against a good kicker, I'm afraid of using my arms. My arms is my only defense against kicks.

How rarely is the jab used when you watch those fights? Can't be less than the other punches right?

How rarely is the jab used when you watch those fights? Can't be less than the other punches right?

I can pull entire fights with zero jabs thrown. They duck under punches just like boxers here and there. I see most elements of boxing blended in, but there's a lack of any refined jabbing. By contrast, you have the Japanese boxer who beat Bob Sapp in K1 and he jabs constantly in all his K1 fights.

I'm not sure I follow your logic regarding head movement. You don't need to use any head movement to jab.

I'm not sure I follow your logic regarding head movement. You don't need to use any head movement to jab.

Roy Jones do this a lot. Kind of like anticipating a counter. So some boxers would automatically move their head after a strike or combo. Just like how you would bob your head as you enter the hitting range/zone.

Jones like to back away after jab. Some forward pressure fighters will jab bob head and move forward.

I believe DC has a tendency to duck to the left or something and that was Jon Jones game plan. DC himself even mentioned this and still got caught. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:
Maywheater does the same as Roy Jones. A lot of boxers do. I am not sure why a lot of kick boxers do not utulize the jab. I believe mostly due to range issues. You are required to do a combo mostly from what I have seen in kick boxing, while in boxing you can fight a lot with single hits or pauses between hits.

From my experience first months in boxing start with practicing the jab and the cross and involving them in combinations.
In kick boxing you start with simple combos, such as 1-2 left low kick, or 1-2-3, right low kick and how can you implement these combos into a fight. For example if you check a right low kick you are in a perfect situation to trow a 3-right low kick or 3-2-left low kick. If you check a left low kick you can trow a 2-3-right low kick and etc. That is drilled as soon as people are familiar with simple techniques. As you see there is not much of jabbing going on.

The thing is, a good jab can be a power punch. Semmi Schilt knocked down Badr Hari with one.
I understand what you're saying but all I'm saying is when you are in a different style of fighting .. your approach and tactics will be different than others ... I know a power jab can do damage but if I as a guy who's style is primarily boxing and only 6 months of kickboxing fought under kickboxing rules.. I'd start of using a jab because that's how i was trained to learn about a threat... when you have someone trained in kickboxing they use teeps because most guys are more proficient in kicking than they are punching

Roy Jones do this a lot. Kind of like anticipating a counter. So some boxers would automatically move their head after a strike or combo. Just like how you would bob your head as you enter the hitting range/zone.

Jones like to back away after jab. Some forward pressure fighters will jab bob head and move forward.

I believe DC has a tendency to duck to the left or something and that was Jon Jones game plan. DC himself even mentioned this and still got caught. Old habits die hard.

That depends on the boxer. Foreman said tall guys don't need to bob and weave, and many don't

No, DC anticipated yet another body kick and jones finally switched up with a high kick. DC was blocking midsection kicks this way. It had nothing to do with head movement from boxing. Just a complete blunder by Cormier

The jab is great at setting up kicks. Using it to actually punch people in the face is harder, and underutilized imo

it usually leaves you right on the end of leg kicks. i'm more of a boxer and the first thing i usually do against a kicker is abandon the jab and throw crosses and hooks. get in a bit closer to keep their feet on the ground more.

1. They don't know how to throw it as well. Lack of dedication to its use.

2. They are more focused on kicks.

Bruce Lee said something about fearing the man that does 1 technique 10,000 times. That makes sense here. They just don't practice it.

In kickboxing the teepee kick replaces the jab

Back