Why Music today sux horribad

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Why music today sux horribad?

This is so serious, I think about putting this in the Warroom

Watch this.

Two people are responsible for most of the top pop songs.

All songs have so many things in common, no real variety

Lyrical intelligence is down

etc, etc, just watch it.

Music today isn't bad.

POP MUSIC today is bad, just like it has been for decades.

Stop listening to whatever is most popular and actually search for shit you like online. There's literally never been more great music that's so easily accessible.

gLl6vr.gif

Music today isn't bad.

Stop listening to whatever is most popular and actually search for shit you like online. There's literally never been more great music that's so easily accessible.

The 70's would like a word with you.

I've seen it and it's all true.

I think American Idol started the march towards what pop music today is... factory produced from beginning to end.

To program the next generation of mindless zombies

The 70's would like a word with you.

Why?

Are you seriously trying to suggest that back then there was more good music that was so easily accessible?

In the 70s there was plenty of good music, sure, but you had to go to a record store, or hope it played on the radio. Whereas now, I can literally search through thousands and thousands of different artists, instantly, from the comfort of my living room.

No comparison, IMO.

Most popular music is bad. I think what's tough about finding "good" new/new to you music is twofold. 1. Specifically with rock music on the radio, 95% is the same songs/bands they have been playing 20+ years now. 2. With everyone having the ability to make/put out an album due to the internet, there is so much to sort through now when looking for something new that is "good" is a grind.

Things were easier when you could find it on the radio, or from friends at school/relatives ect.

Things were easier when you could find it on the radio, or from friends at school/relatives ect.

You can still ask friends etc for recommendations.

And as for finding stuff online, if you sign up to any music service, it's algorithms will recommend you a lot of stuff similar to what you like. It's not perfect, but I've discovered a lot of good bands that way.

Because the producers and execs wanted more control, and had to get people with actual talent out to give them complete control over who "made it" and who didn't. That's where the power is. Also, teen brains are hormonal and stupid, so the most stupid music has been chosen.

Because nobody understands music and people don't want anything they can't snap their fingers to.
Keep it 4/4. Danceable beat. Simple melody. Simpler. Simplerrrrrr

Look, make it so simple Taylor Swift could sing it

Okay now dumb down the lyrics
Okay, is the video finished?

etc

You can still ask friends etc for recommendations.

And as for finding stuff online, if you sign up to any music service, it's algorithms will recommend you a lot of stuff similar to what you like. It's not perfect, but I've discovered a lot of good bands that way.
That's true, I have things on Spotify and the like. I'm sad to say though my friends ect. have had their music tastes stunted. Most that got married/have kids have fallen into the Country music/Pop trap because it's what their wives like or it's "safer" for their kids. The rest have went the classic rock/90's rap route mostly already which is weird because we are all only around 30 give or take a few years.

Music is better than it's ever been.

You can't point to hyper-formulaic pop that has basically sounded the same since the late 80s and say "music now sucks". That's just silly.

linkin park was the goat 2000-2010.

regardless of how they were formed they made pretty fucking good songs

Music today isn't bad.

Why dont they put this good music on the radio these days? That is ad money they are missing out on.

It's all about marketing, it's how Britney Spears became a star when she literally couldn't sing

As much as I love say white soul singer Allen Stone, it's hard to market a guy that looks like a literal Civil War Lieutenant on a hipster fad

Instead of worrying so much about music you think is terrible, look for the kind you like.

It's easier than ever to find stuff.

Why dont they put this good music on the radio these days? That is ad money they are missing out on.

Because it's often not super comfortable, catchy, easy to digest music, like shitty pop music is.

Good music is often complex and challenging, or requires more of your attention to appreciate. The same could be said for most art forms, I think.

Pop music, and pop culture in general, is calculated and cynically created to be as broadly appealing as possible. It's designed to be appealing and addictive.

It's like fast food, or Hollywood films; immediately appealing, but quickly forgotten.

Back