Why the World has started to hire workers by CV?

Hiring time sucks as it is, but lol at thinking everyone should come in person. Maybe 10-20% of the applicants even qualify for an interview. Why would we want to waste more time?
So your telling me if someone comes to you in person when you have downtime with a good resume, you wont give them the time of day?

If so, Id be happy not to work for a company like that. Almost every dept head I have met with is impressed I came in and that way I can sell myself to them. Maybe Ive just had good luck or Im charismatic.

So your telling me if someone comes to you in person when you have downtime with a good resume, you wont give them the time of day?

If so, Id be happy not to work for a company like that. Almost every dept head I have met with is impressed I came in and that way I can sell myself to them. Maybe Ive just had good luck or Im charismatic.

You are missing my point. We sure as hell aren't going to advertise for everyone to come in person! I don't think you realize how many people apply to jobs that they aren't qualified for. As much as I'd love for someone with experience to stop in, I'd be pretty annoyed by someone on the bubble who brings in a resume. The point is that we don't even have close to enough time for everyone coming in so you do not want to encourage that.

I don't think that's possible in Europe.
They will think that you are not in your right mind for going in to ask for a job in person. At least that's how things work here.
I don't know how it is in the States. Maybe it's normal.
You dont think going to talk to the manager of a dept is possible? I know the UK is weird but its just a conversation. Do some research, find out who you need to speak to and ask if they are available or make an appt. Talk with someone else from the dept and ask how it is there and who you need to speak to in order to get your foot in the door.

"Hi I am interested in the job listing you have listed on your website. I feel I have the experience and knowledge to be a valuable asset to your dept. Do you have a few minutes so we can talk about the position or possibly another time we can schedule? I really appreciate your time."

You are missing my point. We sure as hell aren't going to advertise for everyone to come in person! I don't think you realize how many people apply to jobs that they aren't qualified for. As much as I'd love for someone with experience to stop in, I'd be pretty annoyed by someone on the bubble who brings in a resume. The point is that we don't even have close to enough time for everyone coming in so you do not want to encourage that.
Thats why it makes it special when i do come in with that perfect blend of experience and general interest in the position. Obviously they dont want a lot of people walking in. Its very key to make sure you do it at a good time, I have found mondays or tuesdays around 10-11am to be a good time to come in. You also want to make it a point you are aware you are taking time from their day and if they need to reschedule, thats fine but now they have a face to a name.

Ive been told to piss off a few times from this technique but It has worked many more times than it has hurt. Ive been in interviews I had no buisness being in and by the time the interview is over, I may not get the job but ive asked enough questions that I will be ready for the next interview. Usually the interviewer sees my genuine interest and doesnt mind explaining things to me.

Thats why it makes it special when i do come in with that perfect blend of experience and general interest in the position. Obviously they dont want a lot of people walking in. Its very key to make sure you do it at a good time, I have found mondays or tuesdays around 10-11am to be a good time to come in. You also want to make it a point you are aware you are taking time from their day and if they need to reschedule, thats fine but now they have a face to a name.

Ive been told to piss off a few times from this technique but It has worked many more times than it has hurt. Ive been in interviews I had no buisness being in and by the time the interview is over, I may not get the job but ive asked enough questions that I will be ready for the next interview.

It depends on the industry and position. Timing is obviously key too. The first thing I'm looking at even with a walk in is the resume though. I'm going to be jumping out of my seat for someone with experience and good qualifications, but that person would get the interview anyhow from sending in the resume. The others that may or may not qualify, I may be pissed at depending on how busy I am.

If you actually want a job, going in on a monday morning and talking to the boss is still the best way to get hired. Not enough people do it anymore and it will show the manager you are serious. I have gotten a lot of jobs this way.

The way filtering works on those websites, if your resume doesnt have certain keywords, your resume is automatically rejected even if you are qualified. Its always best to go to the company directly if possible.

A lot of companies won’t even accept them in person. They’ll just tell you to go home and submit it to their website. When we first moved here, I had 3 or 4 different companies do this. Costco was one I remember in particular.

The only companies I’ve seen that walking in on Monday morning and getting a job actually work is labour intensive stuff like landscaping and construction, and even many of those want you to apply online.

Last edited:
I don't like writing cover letters. What annoys me the most is having to type up and submit your work history online when it is all on the attached resume.

This too. I already typed it out once......it’s on the resume they told me to submit......why would I type it out again, especially to work at a place like Walmart or Home Depot? I’m not typing out several years of work experience out again “into the required field” Fuck that.

I miss the good old days when you could at least walk in and hand it to someone like hr or whatever, or if it was online just attach a resume that you prepared and that was that.

Shit, my wife wants to move to a different department at the Marriott she’s working at, but even she has to submit her resume online again, and answer all these stupid qualification questions with the resume. It’s like whaaaa??? They already know her and worked with her for almost 2 years. They already know what she can do. It’s asinine, to say the least.

Last edited:
Walking in sounds like the kind of thing that you can get away with at a small organization. Imagine walking into Amazon and asking for an impromptu meeting with the hiring manager. Those people are super busy, and they are on the clock. Consider everything that happens at a large organization. You are going to pass by the front desk or building security, they will attempt to reach the person you're interested in talking to (assuming you know the name of that person, which is a stretch at a large organization of over a few hundred people), that person will wonder who the fuck is there to see them because they aren't expecting anyone, and you're going to then ask for 20+ minutes of their time to show how great and motivated you are. Assuming that you haven't already pissed them off with that, you better hope you're qualified for the job, and be ready to come back later when the hiring manager has time to interview you. Good luck.

Give some examples of companies and positions this has worked for please

A lot of companies won’t even accept them in person. They’ll just tell you to go home and submit it to their website. When we first moved here, I had 3 or 4 different companies do this. Costco was one I remember in particular.

The only companies I’ve seen that walking in on Monday morning and getting a job actually work is labour intensive stuff like landscaping and construction, and even many of those want you to apply online.
Usually you only get told to piss off if you dont talk to the right person but it does happen. I would have already submitted a resume online as well just to be in the database. Then you mention that.

A place like costco will tell you this if you didnt speak to whoever you would work for. most people there dont give a f cause they arent making much. the dept managers usually care a little though. If you want to work for the electronics dept, try talking to the electronics dept supervisor. Im not saying its possible everywhere, its defintely not.

I will say though too many people take no as a definitive answer when sometimes all you have to do is talk to someone else who might be willing to help.

You dont think going to talk to the manager of a dept is possible? I know the UK is weird but its just a conversation. Do some research, find out who you need to speak to and ask if they are available or make an appt. Talk with someone else from the dept and ask how it is there and who you need to speak to in order to get your foot in the door.

"Hi I am interested in the job listing you have listed on your website. I feel I have the experience and knowledge to be a valuable asset to your dept. Do you have a few minutes so we can talk about the position or possibly another time we can schedule? I really appreciate your time."

Yes. UK is weird. And not only UK.
You are NOT ALLOWED to get in to talk to ANYBODY.
Most of the places are like prisons (with high fences) and a guard, or a couple of guards, in front.

I dont think your talking to the right people. If the HR manager wont talk to you, you probably wouldnt want to work for that company anyway.

Of course HR is doing the hiring but your going to eventually interview with the head of whatever dept you want to work for. If you started off talking to him and the conversation is going good, your a lot more likely to get somewhere than shooting fish in a barrel online.

Sounds like you guys are making excuses for not going out and trying to get something you want.
Nah we probably just work in different environments. Every job ive ever had everything is through hr. You meet your department head on day one. Without weird stalking I'd have no way of even knowing who that person is. Im sure it varies a lot by job or field.

Give some examples of companies and positions this has worked for please
The 4 star hotel I worked for 3 years as a front desk supervisor (that i worked myself up to)
An AV installation company( after taking 3 different interviews at other companies and asking all sorts of questions to learn the AV field and getting rejected harshly)
****one company I bombed an interview with liked the questions I asked so much they offered me a job a month later after I had one even after not being qualified.
My current IT company (used my AV skills and lied about other experience)

Usually you only get told to piss off if you dont talk to the right person but it does happen. I would have already submitted a resume online as well just to be in the database. Then you mention that.

A place like costco will tell you this if you didnt speak to whoever you would work for. most people there dont give a f cause they arent making much. the dept managers usually care a little though. If you want to work for the electronics dept, try talking to the electronics dept supervisor. Im not saying its possible everywhere, its defintely not.

I will say though too many people take no as a definitive answer when sometimes all you have to do is talk to someone else who might be willing to help.

This was at the customer service desk, where it actually advertised with a sign that they were hiring lol. They wouldn’t even take the paper resume. At Costco they they don’t really have managers or supervisors hanging out in those sections. Those people would be in the back offices away from the masses most of the time. It’s mostly just the worker bees out and about.

Doesn’t matter now anyway, I have another career now that’s not in retail.

Yes. UK is weird. And not only UK.
You are NOT ALLOWED to get in to talk to ANYBODY.
Most of the places are like prisons (with high fences) and a guard, or a couple of guards, in front.
I've mostly worked for large corporations and you're not going straight to a higher up. Even as an employee for years you rarely see those people.

I dont think your talking to the right people. If the HR manager wont talk to you, you probably wouldnt want to work for that company anyway.

Of course HR is doing the hiring but your going to eventually interview with the head of whatever dept you want to work for. If you started off talking to him and the conversation is going good, your a lot more likely to get somewhere than shooting fish in a barrel online.

Sounds like you guys are making excuses for not going out and trying to get something you want.

You could get a job at the company I worked for by coming in to talk to the owner at 6am back the first 20 years I worked there. Once he died you would have to know someone who worked there. Once the company was sold, the manager on site had nothing to do with hiring. For the last 10 years I was there, they hired through temporary employment agencies. Almost every company around here does, blue collar, white collar or no collar. Companies won't even accept resumes. It has helped Wisconsin lower it's reported unemployment rate to 3%. The state employment service requires anyone registered to submit at least 4 applications weekly. Companies don't want to be bothered by all of the unemployed so they don't accept any resumes and hire through the agencies. Since there are only 5 agencies in the area, there isn't any place for people to submit applications so they get dropped off the list of the unemployed.

This was at the customer service desk, where it actually advertised with a sign that they were hiring lol. At Costco they they don’t really have managers or supervisors hanging out in those sections. Those people would be in the back offices away from the masses most of the time. It’s mostly just the worker bees out and about.

Doesn’t matter now anyway, I have another career now that’s not in retail.
Yep worked for places like that and the bosses of those areas are not typically around where you can access them. The day to day dept heads are just shift managers. They don't hire or fire people. If you want a certain area, communicate that to HR and make sure applicable skills you have are listed on your resume.

Yep worked for places like that and the bosses of those areas are not typically around where you can access them. The day to day dept heads are just shift managers. They don't hire or fire people. If you want a certain area, communicate that to HR and make sure applicable skills you have are listed on your resume.

I stocked shelves on a night crew at Zellers (what’s Zellers, right?) once when I was 25.

Yes, I’m old.

How much experience do you need to stock shelves anyway? They teach you that in a couple of hours.

My last job I had dinner with a manager. Then he asked me to send in my resume. Then I met with him and a field guy and spent the day with them in the field. Then I had a gauntlet interview....a panel of 4 that peppered me with scenarios for a few hours. Then I took a Wunderlic. Then I got the job making 200k+. After all that they had layoffs after a year and I got axed.
My next job I met a guy at a Starbucks for 20 minutes, I did a Wunderlic, and got an offer making similar money. These companies are all fucked up.

I stocked shelves on a night crew at Zellers (what’s Zellers, right?) once when I was 25.

Yes, I’m old.
Yeah never heard of Zellers but maybe its a canada thing. I did similar work for companies here. And apparently will be doing so again soon.

Back