Why was amateur Mike Tyson not as ferocious and powerful?

If you look at some of his amateur bouts, like the one against Henry Tillman, he is clearly not as powerful puncher and dominant as he would be as a pro.

What prompted this change? Did Tyson bulk up to punch harder? Late bloomer?

I don't think it's the same fighter.

more maturity, even the 18-22 year old tyson wasn't fully mature which just tells you how special he could have been had he peaked when most heavyweights peak (late twenties). Last week, i heard a story by glenn Mccrory saying that Tyson knocked lewis "spark out" when they sparred as teens, impressive if true and he was kayoing grown men in those years. Also, intimidation, he was intimidating even in the ammies, Holyfield said everyone was scared of him, even after he didn't make the team and came to the olympics camp as an alternate. He was even more intimidating a few years later, sooo..., more maturity, more tricks (the body feint and looping overhand he comatized Tillman with was something he probably wouldn't have done at 17, the first time they fought), experience.

Confidence, Amateurs back then were of a higher level than some Pros were. They competed for Olympic glory, with Olympic Gold came more sponsorship than being a Pro would pay if you didn't make it to world title level.

yea mike was apparently one of the only elite pro athletes in the 80s who was not using PEDs
Honestly, with Tyson being so honest and candid as he is, I believe he would have admitted PED use already. His relatively quick prime doesn't support the idea he was a juicer, IMO.

also, ammies favored boxers over sluggers always have.

Honestly, with Tyson being so honest and candid as he is, I believe he would have admitted PED use already. His relatively quick prime doesn't support the idea he was a juicer, IMO.
holyfield tried to point to tyson, which i just thought was the classic "he who smelt it dealt it" but who knows. the alopacea that mike had in the mid 80's is a sign of steroid abuse.

Maybe because he was a teenager?
Word is, as a teenager Tyson was just as ferocious, but the amateur game was touch pointing and referees allowing vicious KOs was not the deal. Guys got hurt and they were forced to reset and take a standing count. Then the other guy would outpoint him.

If you look at some of his amateur bouts, like the one against Henry Tillman, he is clearly not as powerful puncher and dominant as he would be as a pro.

Tyson had a lot of KOs as an amateur. I've never seen a comprehensive record of his, but most sources cite 48-6, 38 KOs, so a higher percentage than average.

@DeJulez posted a few of his bouts and his style wasn't too different to his pro years. Bigger gloves and breaking up any clinch prevent the likelihood of a KO.

Also, using his fight against Tillman isn't a fair gauge. That was against a top amateur who then went on the win Olympic Gold. So, when Tyson turned pro he was against easier competition. He also got his revenge for Tillman making fun of him!

Age and development play a factor too. Mike started at 15 so had some time to catch up to other amateurs. Also, the body can change a lot from mid to late teens.

True. But Tyson lost his mentor. Maybe that motivated him. Something happened. Something focused the mind and raised his level tremendously. His true potential came out.

Hearns was also a case of maturing physically. Steward said he went from one of the weakest to strongest at the Kronk.

more maturity, even the 18-22 year old tyson wasn't fully mature which just tells you how special he could have been had he peaked when most heavyweights peak (late twenties). Last week, i heard a story by glenn Mccrory saying that Tyson knocked lewis "spark out" when they sparred as teens, impressive if true and he was kayoing grown men in those years. Also, intimidation, he was intimidating even in the ammies, Holyfield said everyone was scared of him, even after he didn't make the team and came to the olympics camp as an alternate. He was even more intimidating a few years later, sooo..., more maturity, more tricks (the body feint and looping overhand he comatized Tillman with was something he probably wouldn't have done at 17, the first time they fought), experience.

Holyfield just hyping up the fact that he beat a relatively young and motivated Tyson. Tyson was not the best boxer

The rules and length dont really set themselves up for KOs like the pros.

And he was facing stiffer competition as an amateur then he did as a pro for a while.

But even so he did have great power and very quick stoppages as an amateur.

The rules and length dont really set themselves up for KOs like the pros.

And he was facing stiffer competition as an amateur then he did as a pro for a while.

But even so he did have great power and very quick stoppages as an amateur.

Yeah but pro Tyson was not a one trick poney. He won decisions against several tough opponents like Tony Tucker. It wasn't as if he was in trouble if it got to the scorecards. He could outbox people as well

Give ur 16 year old son a pair of brass knuckle rings, i’ll throw him back to the school yard...
A teenager was beating up grown ass men.. late bloomer? I’m sure u had a full beard as a featus.

Tyson had a lot of KOs as an amateur. I've never seen a comprehensive record of his, but most sources cite 48-6, 38 KOs, so a higher percentage than average.

@DeJulez posted a few of his bouts and his style wasn't too different to his pro years. Bigger gloves and breaking up any clinch prevent the likelihood of a KO.

Also, using his fight against Tillman isn't a fair gauge. That was against a top amateur who then went on the win Olympic Gold. So, when Tyson turned pro he was against easier competition. He also got his revenge for Tillman making fun of him!

Age and development play a factor too. Mike started at 15 so had some time to catch up to other amateurs. Also, the body can change a lot from mid to late teens.

Hearns was also a case of maturing physically. Steward said he went from one of the weakest to strongest at the Kronk.
it was briggs who made fun of him. tillman was a friend.

Give ur 16 year old son a pair of brass knuckle rings, i’ll throw him back to the school yard...
A teenager was beating up grown ass men.. late bloomer? I’m sure u had a full beard as a featus.
he only needed one round as a pro, he was better at cutting off the ring, feinting and he was more experienced, nothing mysterious really. He had his big punch when he was old too but he couldn't catch guys the same way because he was rusty and old. he had the power to kayo lewis but he couldn't land it.

he only needed one round as a pro, he was better at cutting off the ring, feinting and he was more experienced, nothing mysterious really. He had his big punch when he was old too but he couldn't catch guys the same way because he was rusty and old. he had the power to kayo lewis but he couldn't land it.

He was very close to his prime in Tyson-Holyfield 1 and didn't get anywhere... Compare his motions in that fight to his worst won fights as a champion, and it looks very much like the same Tyson.

By "worst", I mean matches Tyson won as a champ in the 80s when he wasn't performing at his best., even though he was in his prime. Holyfield faced a Tyson of that level.

Last edited:

Tyson was beaten up as a kid before taking boxing. I don't find it strange that a 16 year old trained boxer can beat grown men. As for myself, I did beat grown ass men in arm wrestling as a 16 year old. All I did was pull-ups at home.

Back