Wife brings home a surprise today....

Get the mag for the Luger in the mail today. Bought some Winchester 115 gr 9mm ammo and shot it for the first time. The Luger functioned precisely as it should, kicking out empties in the air with vigor, hitting whatever I aimed at. Now that I know it functions, I may store these old grips, and put a set of new walnut grips on it ($50 or so). Ammo was cheap at Academy, $20.00 for 100 rounds; gotta love affordable ammo. That's the same price as the best on the internet, and no shipping.

I'll probably take it to the indoor range tomorrow, and see what it'll do on paper. Fun stuff.

Cleaned the Luger with Eagle One Wadding Polish

DSC03581.jpg

DSC03582.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Dude, I envy you so much it is'nt even funny.

New Toy!!!

Got a Draco AK pistol.

DSC03592.jpg

DSC03593.jpg

I went to a gun shop this morning after calling and asking about prices (Indoor Range in SE TX). I get there and all the prices are higher than the lady quoted me on the phone- her son is showing me price tags that are exactly 10% higher than what she told me. 7.62x39 Saiga she said $399. I said I'm on my way. I get there, they're suddenly $439. Then the son starts in with this bullshit that's been going around the gun forums, that the ATF is going to ban Saiga shotguns. I tell him nicely that that is a misunderstanding of the current stance on the ATF, and that the recently released paper by the ATF has been misinterpreted by a few paranoid individuals as "They're about to be banned!" What excludes the Saiga is the lack of pistol grip, among a few other tiny distinctions that keep it legal (the Russians have this down pat): shop owners have been using this fear to jack the price of a Saiga 12 gage from the usual $599 to $999, $1099, and more- sickening. He protests, and points to his computer, and I tell him I am aware of the ATF paper in question,what it means,a nd that it's unfortunate that a few unscrupulous gun shop owners are using that fear to gouge people.

Kid blanched.

I then asked him how many he had in stock, and of course, since he couldn't bullshit me, he told me they had none. Fucker. So I asked about the Draco under glass- now it's $479.00. I got my shit and walked out- and I'm not playing sour grapes, but I had carried $1100 with me in full expectation of spending it all there, as I had hoped to buy a Saiga for $400, a Draco for $400, and a revolver for whatever was left- I figured the man that owns it would make a deal with cash on the counter, like he has in the past.

I just got a call from a gun shop that is a few miles further away, nice old man owns it, and he tells me that his supplier is out of stock on the Saiga rifles, but when he can get them, they'll be $300 (his cost) and my cost will be +10% of that.

$330.

I told him put me down for 3 at that price. I can pay deposit if necessary.

And I filed a report with the BBB on that crooked shop for bait-and-switch. :icon_twis

So later, a guy I met through the AK forums calls me. "Hey, I thought I remembered you saying you wanted a Draco AK pistol?" I said yes, he knew it, as he had a sweet one, a Draco that was accurate as hell. He shoots as his house, and he was hitting steel at 200 yards with ease with that little AK. So I said, "Yeah, I want one, why?" He was in a $$ bind, and needed to raise cash- did I want it before he pawned it? The gun, a 30 round mag, and a $100 75 round drum magazine. Hell yes. I got it for $440, less than I'd have paid at that shop ($479 +25 fee +$39 tax = $543, and that doesn't count the $100 drum mag), and after I sell the drum mag in the forums for $90 or so, I'll have a $350 Draco with about 300 rounds through it- it looks brand new. :D :D

I applied pine tar in the hot sun, let it soak in, and shellac'ed the wood right after I got it. I changed the cheap black plastic grip for a Russian bakelite grip I had off another AK. I also made the rear sling loop- Dracos don't come with one for the rear- and so that will help take the place of the butt stock, by using tension on the sling around your upper arm, it steadies the gun much like a butt stock would. I may put a muzzle brake like on my AK74, and I want some 20 round mags, as they won't hang so low, and make the gun more portable. :icon_twis

Got some replacement grips from Czechoslovakia coming in the mail too, for under $40- black bakelite. So I can store these wooden ones; they're loose, and I know they're not the original grips, but I don't want to break them.

Last edited:
Cool. I really like the design of the Luger. My grandfather on my mothers side had one. I asked him once, when i was about 14-15 years old where he got it, and he just said: "got it off a german" in a tone of voice that made me not ask for details.

I asked my mom recently if she knew where he got it and she said: "He never told us. Just said that he got it off a german. I didnt ask again."

$479 for a Draco? That shop is high. I can get one here in AZ for $329. I've been thinking of getting one and SBR'ing it.

$479 for a Draco? That shop is high. I can get one here in AZ for $329. I've been thinking of getting one and SBR'ing it.

Yeah, they're full of it. But I got the deal I wanted- after this drum is sold my cost will be $340.

SBR'ed Dracos are cool- essentially a Romy Krink. :icon_twis

Saiga 5.45. Plum polymer stocks, etc.

DSC03598.jpg

Going to look at a CETME in an hour or so, stainless receiver:

Cetme.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the CETME. $550 with 5 20 rd mags, 150 rds of ammo, and the polymer furniture set, in addition to the original wood stocks.

DSC03599.jpg

Changed to the wood stocks

DSC03600.jpg

Last edited:
Ever feel like you have too many guns?

When I do, I sell some. Then I buy more. :icon_twis

Guns are one of the few things you can buy that hold their value or even appreciate in value. I used to be into cars, and that stuff depreciates as soon as you buy it- engines, etc. Computer stuff too- it's always being eclipsed by new better cheaper stuff. But the guns I've bought, I've been fortunate to sell at a profit (mostly) and so the wife doesn't scream when I come home with something anymore.
Then there's the whole import game, the ebb and tide of supply and demand. Buy when plentiful and cheap, sell when scarce. I bought several dozen black 5.45 Bulgarian mags a few months ago, packed them away, as I shoot 5.45, and this last weekend, I see "WTB Black Bulgy mags!!" ads on the AK forums. I checked, adn the stores are all out of black Bulgies. I even had a guy trade me some Russian Plum mags ($$) for my black Bulgys.
So if they don't want to wait till the supply goes back up, I have some to sell at a premium. Russian wood sells well too- you can order direct from Russia or Ukraine and get real Soviet wood stocks in unissued condition. People who don't want to wait 3 weeks for delivery pay extra to get it now.
It's like the stock market in a way.

Still got to get the wife her .38 snub nose.

Last edited:
The Draco AK doesn't come with a rear sling mount, just a front one. In Romania, the originating country, they are sold with a wire folding butt- in this country, the Draco is classed as a pistol, and according to US law, you can't add a butt, or a forward grip, to a pistol (without filing AOW papers and paying a few hundred).

So I added a sling mount. First I tried a nylon loop, secured between the pistol grip and the receiver; this was easy, but the sling would flop in the way of the grip when it was picked up. I wanted the mount to be higher, so I drilled 2 holes for #8 stainless bolts and drilled and bent up a ring mount. I use cold-bluing for the finish (I was out of flat black paint). I used acorn nuts for a better look, to match all the riveting on the gun, and also the acorns won't tear up the sling. I had an AK sling on it, but it just didn't look right. The sling I got with the CETME is perfect- it is about 1/4" narrower- and matches the size of the weapon better. I loaded up a 75-round drum mag, and I also have a shorter 20-round mag on the way, that will hang no lower than the pistol grip, resulting in a more compact overall package.

But the drum is "gangster, like the old Tommy guns", my wife has opined.
DSC03616.jpg

Sling mount: (I'll find a black-oxide coated key ring and snap clip for the front eventually)

DSC03615.jpg

Last edited:
are there any other pistols with the same mechanism as the luger?

even wikipedia didn't have any real answers

I don't think there are, pretty much every other semi-auto pistol uses a slide action versus what the Luger design uses.

are there any other pistols with the same mechanism as the luger?

even wikipedia didn't have any real answers

Next purchase may be this:

LCR-5401.jpg

A guy called with a LCR but it's more than I had allotted for the snub: but, if I get her a nice one, she'll be extra cool about any more stuff I manage to acquire.

So, I've got a few non-essentials (ammo, accessories, that AK drum) in a FS ad on a couple of forums and so I should have the moolah for the LCR by Sunday or Monday.

Ammo is better than currency. It just about always goes up, just like the guns, and although it is heavy to ship, it requires no FFL or license to purchase; there's always the face-to-face sale too. So I keep unopened spam cans of ammo here. It really is better than money, and if someone was stupid enough to break in (how much fun would THAT be? :icon_twis) ammo is a lot harder to cart off than cash. Right after Obama got elected, ammo went through the roof in price, and supply dropped to near zero. A year or so later, things had normalized. If he gets re-elected, there'll be another ammo panic (Pubs always scare people with Dems taking guns or ammo away at election time) and so ammo will skyrocket. Unopened cases of Wolf 7.62x39, or .233/5.56, are pure gold, and can almost double in value at those times.

do you live near an indian reservation?

I saw on TV (Sons of Anarchy) so it must be true ;P

they got native americans to make handloaded bullets for them (US laws doesn't apply?) bought them in the res and sold it outside!

do you live near an indian reservation?

I saw on TV (Sons of Anarchy) so it must be true ;P

they got native americans to make handloaded bullets for them (US laws doesn't apply?) bought them in the res and sold it outside!

I wouldn't trust Native American ammo-maybe one of them starts having flash backs about Geronimo or Sitting Bull, and loads too much powder in it- "Take that Paleface!!"

and the gun explodes. :D

I like to use cheap Russian ammo. Unless I'm shooting for groups, I like nice, cheap ammunition, and lots of it. The only weapon I have that I haven't tried with the Russian, or am unsure about, is the Luger. Sometimes Russian primers can be too hard for non-military guns; I had some .38 Spl Russian ammo, Monarch brand ammo made in Russia for Academy Sports, and my .38 wouldn't pop the primers- I threw the bullets away rather than break a firing pin. The .308 ammo for the CETME is around $.50/round- versus $.11 for 5.45x39, and $.17 for 7.62x39, or $.20 for 9mm- but I don't shoot a ton of .308 anyway.

Plum polymer on the Draco, with a AK74 brake, drilled to .390.

DSC03621.jpg

What do you like better- polymer hand guards or wood?

Dracowoodorpoly.png

Back