Will 130 champs accept unification with loma?

GloryOfIran

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
THe rumor is that lona wants to unify in spring. But any champ will be a big undersog. Im sure they will be paid well for it, but will they agree to be humiliated probably quiting before round 9? Is there enough money to pay for that?

I wonder. Berchelt would be a good name and the best fight, but by best fight I mean Loma still destroys him.

Hard fucking no.
I mean, maybe for double their career best pay day.

They haven't shown much interest so far so it would have to be a very good pay day for them to accept what will probably be a humiliating fight for them. But I don't think it would be career ending for them. Gary Russell bounced back ok. People would expect them to lose very badly to Lomachenko anyway so that would take some of the sting out of it.

Berchelt would be the only decent match-up that could be made because it would be for the lineal championship and a WBO and WBC title unification bout. He's the clear #2 guy in the division. However, he's scheduled to make a voluntary defense against Cristian Mijares next month and after that the WBC expects him to face his mandatory, Miguel Roman (who just stopped Salido). Roman could be paid to step aside.

These titleholders at 130 and 135 will flat out expect to be overpaid to fight Loma. Bob has his work cut out for him this year.

So you offer me a 4 month training camp and a career high payday for 36 minutes and you reckon people would pass?

They would probably all be willing. They aren't any fights that could generate as much money for them.

The question is whether Arum will be willing to pay for unification fights when he could keep things in-house and keep more of the money.

Lomachenko has had no trouble getting fights, not sure why everyone is acting like he's being avoided.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/659771

Lots of big fights there, relative to the talent in the weight classes he's fought in.

That isn't proof. Why are fighters like Walters and Salido asking for more money than they're worth when it comes to Loma and nobody else? Walters admitted to asking for 1 million to fight Loma and this was when Loma was moving up to SFW, he hadn't even fought there yet. Salido was asking for the same for a rematch.

Now, I can only speculate (just as you are) that not many would be willing to fight Loma right now considering his last 4 opponents quit on him in between rounds and he's been on a tear for the last 4 years. They're weighing the risk vs reward and not liking their chances I'd imagine.

That isn't proof. Why are fighters like Walters and Salido asking for more money than they're worth when it comes to Loma and nobody else? Walters admitted to asking for 1 million to fight Loma and this was when Loma was moving up to SFW, he hadn't even fought there yet. Salido was asking for the same for a rematch.

Now, I can only speculate (just as you are) that not many would be willing to fight Loma right now considering his last 4 opponents quit on him in between rounds and he's been on a tear for the last 4 years. They're weighing the risk vs reward and not liking their chances I'd imagine.
Are you really asking me why prize fighters ask for big money to fight on HBO against their star?

Are you really asking me why prize fighters ask for big money to fight on HBO against their star?

Loma fights on ESPN and has for his last two fights. If you're a fighter's management, do you put him in with Loma in his division? Of course you wouldn't unless you're willing to throw him to the wolves which a guy like Hearn will. None of the other titleholders are Hearn fighters btw. If the fighter is considered "hot" expect them to be avoided until they show some signs of slowing down (slippage). There are numerous examples to back this well known theory up. It's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Lomachenko has had no trouble getting fights, not sure why everyone is acting like he's being avoided.
Walters (initially), Davis (IBF titlists), Corrales (ranked #2) and Salido (after the rematch and all the shit he talked) all turned him down and openly avoided him. That's oviously not everybody, but you start to notice a pattern after a while.

also, how can you simulateously say Loma hasn't fought a good fighter, then point to "big fights" on his resume? That's a little silly, almost as silly as you saying you won't be impressed till he goes up two weight classes to face Garcia until you're impressed.

Back