Will Bare Knuckle Fighting (WBKFF) take off like MMA?

... bear knuckle fighting ...
brown-bear-paw-sharp-claws-260nw-1101312803.jpg
?

Bare knuckle boxing? No

I would love to see a Pancrase/rings variation with no gloves though. Or some more full contact karate.

Bare knuckle boxing? No

I would love to see a Pancrase/rings variation with no gloves though. Or some more full contact karate.

Dudes initial reaction was "oh shit, you ok?"

They should at the very least have hand wraps, bare knuckle is just stupid

But I'll watch Josh, Leben & Baroni do any kind of competing

Why is Johny fighting Brennan Ward? He is going to get hurt, Brennan is a decent boxer, a crazy fucker and has good power.
That might get ugly quickly for the fat lad

Bare knuckle boxing? No

I still get teary eyed thinking about Andy

I see many broken hands in the future..

Hand wraps are a good compromise. Gloves make it difficult for grappling and even Rogan says MMA should get rid of 'em. I think MMA could use with a less padded form of glove.

They should at the very least have hand wraps, bare knuckle is just stupid

But I'll watch Josh, Leben & Baroni do any kind of competing

Why is Johny fighting Brennan Ward? He is going to get hurt, Brennan is a decent boxer, a crazy fucker and has good power.
That might get ugly quickly for the fat lad
They have hand wraps, but not over the knuckles

They have hand wraps, but not over the knuckles
The UK based BKB org has full hands wraps (with knuckles wrapped), but BKFC only has hands, no knuckles. Wasn't sure what these guys were planning

Bare knuckle means, few punches, and a lot of broken hands.

Bare knuckle typically leads to cuts not KOs.

Gloves allow you to throw punches much much harder because you don't have to worry about your hand shattering. Hand bones are small and weak. Elbows, knees, and shin bones aren't and therefore do not need any protection when conditioned.

No, because bare knuckle fighting is usually boring as fuck to watch. It always was.

I went to the card in Cheyenne, Wyoming and it was pretty darn entertaining. However, I don't think it will become big like MMA.

Since this has been legalized apparently for the first time in 130 years, it could take off.
The World Bare Knuckle Fighting Federation are having their first even in November.

http://bareknucklefightingfederation.com

Johny Henricks, Chris Leben and Phil Baroni will be on the card.

It will be interesting to see how the standup is bare knuckle and if the sport takes off. From what I know of bare knuckle it will be a bloody night.

No

My Mate fights for BBKB over here in Britain. They sell a few hundred tickets at a time but it will never be where boxing is. Its fckin brutal and that just isn't what a lot of combat sport fans want. I much prefer boxing because it is much more skill based and less about how much damage you can withstand

Hope they get the proper amount of dollars to fuck their brain and fist doing this nonsense

do you think it's worse for the brain than gloved boxing or MMA? if so i just don't see how's that possible. i think just a hand wrap might be a good compromise. and especially in MMA there shouldn't be those padded gloves, it does hinder some chokes people pull on 'em to get out positions

Im even surprised its legalized. MMA as is(and other contact sports that are more mainstream), is hitting into more and more obstacles with people becoming more aware of brain damage and how quickly it occurs and the general pussifying of the nation. But bare knuckle fighting?
Heck even me as a big mma fan see bare knuckle as too much. Those involved will probabily keep believing it will blow up but it never will and fighters will keep competing in arenas where there will be no proper medical support or licensed refs and pay will be sh1tty or on hand. Sad future.

Actually bare knuckle looks more brutal and tends to cause more cuts so more blood but it is much safer than both boxing and also mma.
You can't hit as hard without protection due to damaging the hands so you have to pick the shots more or maybe use more palm strikes to the head.

Boxing is repeated head and brain trauma then standup and some more. MMA is slightly safer than boxing but again can be alot of trauma especially strikes on the ground where all the force is transmitted. Much of the head trauma in both is caused in sparring anyway.

So bare knuckle is the purest and safest. I actually think this could be a success if promoted right and they mix up BK boxing bouts with some kind of pancrase type of fights also with grappling. There are a few avenues they could take it but there will always be an audience as people do want to see what is perceived as the most real so it could work especially if they sign some big names.

Im even surprised its legalized. MMA as is(and other contact sports that are more mainstream), is hitting into more and more obstacles with people becoming more aware of brain damage and how quickly it occurs and the general pussifying of the nation. But bare knuckle fighting?
Heck even me as a big mma fan see bare knuckle as too much. Those involved will probabily keep believing it will blow up but it never will and fighters will keep competing in arenas where there will be no proper medical support or licensed refs and pay will be sh1tty or on hand. Sad future.

Football for sure but what obstacles are you pointing to as far as mma? Sounds like a lot of conjecture.

Safe to speculate that its glory days were back when the sun never settled in the British Empire and the alternate favorite past time was bull-/bear baiting.

I honestly dont think there's a big enough appetite for bear knuckle fighting with the UFC in the picture.

Most people who don't follow the sport think cage fighting and bare knuckle boxing is one in the same.
Headlined everywhere by MMA fighters doesnt help... but the idea might come from the "vale tudo" days where they didnt used any gloves.

Unless they open a ton of bare knuckle fighting academies like they did with bjj to keep the everyday working man connected with the sport, I don't think so.

MMA's mass appeal came from marketing genius. Bare knuckle needs a marketing plan.

Won't the fighters tend to break their hands more frequently? It seems that may put a damper on any given fight.

Every combat sport uses gloves.

Not just for hand protection, but because it's percieved that it somehow protects fighters from getting hurt (it does against cuts, even though elbows cut way worse)

Back