will future generations care more about E sports and less about actual sports?

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Drew Peasack, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Drew Peasack Banned

Drew Peasack
    it seems to me that more and more kids are playing games and getting into watching e sports following twitch streamers, and less kids care about athletics. I can only assume that this disparity will increase. will athletics eventually die out and be replaced with e-sports in say 100 years or so?

2. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    No, the opposite will become true.

eSports will adopt actual physical activity into AR-augmented combat/competition.

Drew Peasack and cmw43 like this.
  3. mr.bigglesworth Silver Belt

mr.bigglesworth
    Not replaced outright but there's no doubt the esports scene will be much larger than it currently is, and physical sports will suffer.

As for AR/VR being front and center- I just don't see it happening. It's a novelty if not just a gimmick outside of simulation racing games. Having said that, theres no denying it's potentially disruptive tech and theres a lot of money banking on its success.

4. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Athletics will never go out of style. Simple reason: physical dominance is part of the sex game.

It isn't that the current crop of gamers (who deliberately avoid physical exertion) aren't going to gravitate towards AR-augmented physical competition. That's going to be the evolution of those who currently do sports. Sure, eSports is going to grow, and physical sports are competing, but eSports isn't going to swallow physical sports any more than Motorsports is going to swallow Ball sports (as some predicted throughout the second half of the 20th century) or the X-Games is going to swallow traditional sports.

Not all trends are temporary, but at the same time, timeless is timeless. Combat sports faces its greatest challenge in history from the discoveries of our brain trauma studies, and yet, it will persist, whereas the NFL and Hockey might not: a difference in the purity of trappings. Fighting is simply human nature. War is primal, not irrational.

mr.bigglesworth likes this.
  5. someguyy Brown Belt

someguyy
    While I agree with general sentiment that esports will eventually fade and something else will be "the next big thing", whatever that is.
    You have been spelling esports wrong for months.
    You come off as "How do you do fellow esporters?" guy.
    Just want to let you know you are ignorant in that field. Not even a layman.
    Carry on.

6. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    LOL, the very fact that he is ranting about that is testament to the fact the there is no "official" stylization of the word, and continues a tradition tracing back to hyphenation of "e-mail", and even early on when people still wrote "e-Mail" or "eMail" before it finally settled in with more traditional rules of grammar. Applying the same "e" prefix to many newly digitized apparatuses that had non-digital precursors has been common ever since. You come off as some peremptory 20-year-old oblivious to this (not very old) history, and ripe with condescension in your absurd ignorance.

Not important. Maybe we can get a more widely accepted formal consensus. Where to look, I wonder? Oh yeah, Wikipedia, the globe's de facto up-to-date encyclopedia and almanac:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports
    LOL, whoops. I'm living rent free in that pigeon brain, tryhard. Carry on.

7. The Big Bang Brown Belt

The Big Bang
  8. someguyy Brown Belt

someguyy
    Using wikipedia as source, thanks for proving my point.

I think the video and word of a host who has been in industry for 15 years hosting big events every single year mean more than wikipedia.
    It's been decided years ago, how more esports figures you want me to post that make fun of noobs(you) who post the name wrong?

Go on and prance around here, I'll answer in like 3 days when I have time for your stupidity.
    You have already lost, like you lost in last 5 esports threads, because you are ignorant.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.

Palis likes this.
  9. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Actually, it proves my point. First, you don't even understand how these determinations are made, or you'd know that it's ridiculously stupid to quibble over stuff like this because it isn't definite, but...if we're going to quibble you've actually advanced the incorrect position. No, a single host doesn't decide these things. That's not what determines norms in style. You didn't mention the MLA, or the history of the style of this term, which means that you don't understand language, and style, or the fluid nature by which it evolves.
    DOT ESPORTS: The final word on the great esports capitalization debate (Jan 17, 2014)
    You come off as a tryhard CS:GO adolescent who just got into the scene like two years ago, and now thinks he can pontificate to the rest of us from a perch of ignorance. Some of us are a bit longer in the tooth, and don't care to dispense with the habits or our more profound knowledge, and deeper experience.

That's why, for example, in one of those eSport thread debates, I opined that Overwatch would gain traction as a viable eSport, and maintain that. I was correct. You (and several other posters) were not. That's a specific example of how you have lost these debates-- just as you did, here, again.

D3THRONED likes this.
  10. MaureenCretis Brown Belt

MaureenCretis
  11. someguyy Brown Belt

someguyy
    It was decided about at that time, maybe little before, which you would knew if you were following it in that timeframe.
    Damn, being wrong must be your official occupation.
    I got my first clan, played my first LAN and first competitive(you would clasiffy it as such, it had equipment as reward) in 1.5 in 2002.
    I retired from competitive esports before you could reach keyboard.
    Really, lets see what you actually said about Overwatch in MAY 2017.

Bwahahahaha.
    Bwahahahaha.
    This is easily proven wrong with simple data. I've been recording esports hours numbers for about three months since I correctly assumed newzoo wouldn't realease it in their yearly report.
    Last month with numbers is October.

So by esports hours watched on Twitch in a year since November 2016 - October 2017.
    League of Legends has 271,6 Million hours watched,
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 232,1 M
    Dota 2 211,3 M
    Overwatch 23,1M.

Mind you numbers were even worse in May.
    No wonder others called you on your bullshit.

I don't want to die from laughter, so I won't be reading your posts about esports until at least next year.

Palis likes this.
  12. Prairieboy Black Belt

Prairieboy
    "sport"

Nooob likes this.
  13. KaNesDeath Black Belt

KaNesDeath
    This is a 30 year old form of competition that now has a delivery platform with internet based live streaming websites/services with live sports level on production teams.

Its impractical to speculate on it overreaching traditional sports. Only thing we know is the yearly revenue of gaming with competitive hours viewed and live viewers. One aspect to keep an eye on is non-endemic investment to gauge growth. An event organizer hosting an event for your favorite game isnt an indication of a self sustaining competitive scene for that game.

For context, PUBG saw a 75% viewership decline from their initial lan event at Gamescom to IEM Oakland.

14. Nesruk Blue Belt

Nesruk
    You dont get a great body from video games so no

15. KaNesDeath Black Belt

KaNesDeath
    [​IMG]

yookfarb and Drew Peasack like this.
  16. Nesruk Blue Belt

Nesruk
    Didn't get that mashing a keyboard :p

17. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    I neither believe you, nor care, and none of this changes the fact that you're objectively wrong about the style in this matter.
    It has maintained as a Top 6 eSport since it debuted by any metric you choose.

Again dancing on your own grave.

18. Scott Parker 27 Your Mom's Box

Scott Parker 27
    I still am trying to understand in my old man brain why the youngins will watch others play video games online. Help me understand. Wouldnt you rather just play it yourself or at a friends house if you dont own it?

Nooob, Martian 2.0 and the gorilla like this.
  19. KaNesDeath Black Belt

KaNesDeath
    You dont understand the meaning of such a chart. This isnt equating it to the sixth most viewed sport in the world or sixth highest earning company in the world. It would be like you asking me who the sixth ranked WMMA fighter is in each weight class. Thats how meaningless it is in the context of sixth most viewed esport in the world.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Palis likes this.
  20. Drew Peasack Banned

Drew Peasack
    1 you cant say "never" you really dont know that
    2 not true. alot of millennial girls think jocks are douchbag "fuck boys"