Will Ngannou sell as a champion?

DeeDubb

Gracie Online Black Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Traditionally, the fighters who have sold the best have been white. Lesnar, Rousey, Conor, GSP. Jones sells pretty well, but because he's a polarizing figure. Ngannou will have a tough road because he's a nice guy, he has a strong accent, and he's not white. None of this is race bating or anything, it's just a fact at which fighters sell fights.
What he does have going for him is that "it" factor of looking the part of a monster. The ability to OHKO anyone in the world violently while looking terrifying gives him that Rampage Jackson appeal. He doesn't have the charisma of Rampage, but that could develop over time (as well as his English). If he wins the title and breaks the consecutive title streak, I think he could become the main attraction in the UFC (if they invest the time and resources into pushing him).

Don't see him being a giant draw but potentially a bigger one that Stipe due to the excitement factor.

I’ll take who is Anderson Silva for $300, Alex.

giphy.gif

if he wins the belt and then keeps winning decisively he'll sell or whatever

don't know why people are interested in what the ufc makes lol just be interested in the fights. people calling countries or states markets is weird

I’ll take who is Anderson Silva for $300, Alex.

Anderson didn't really sell all that well other than the Chael fights and Weidman 2 (which would have been more because of Weidman than Anderson)

I think he could be a massive star. Rags to riches story, looks like a monster, and building a spectacular highlight reel.

If he destroys Miocic he will keep his aura of invincibility, but I hope he has to dig deep and it's a classic.

Anderson didn't really sell all that well other than the Chael fights and Weidman 2 (which would have been more because of Weidman than Anderson)

Yea cuz Weidman was such a big star after lol Anderson was pretty big star after chael1/Vitor He got huge sponsorships and there are no ppv buys in Brazil

The Heavy Champ is always a draw, so if he becomes champ, sure he will be a draw

Yea cuz Weidman was such a big star after lol Anderson was pretty big star after chael1/Vitor He got huge sponsorships and there are no ppv buys in Brazil

Weidman I sucked, but Weidman II was a big seller, mostly because he broke Anderson's aura of invincibility, so everyone wanted to see if it was a fluke. Instead they saw a noodle leg...

Not saying he wasn't a star. He just wasn't on the level of the 4 I mentioned previously.

He has the potential. He looks like an unbeatable beast in the octagon and he has a background story that mainstream media might pick up.
If the UFC plays this right and he keeps winning, then I think he could be their next star.

Francis "The Predator" Ngannour - Evolution of a Monster

You can write a book or two about it, pretty sure. So several promo videos should be trivial to make. Well, to think of.
Actually making it is a bit harder :D

Yes i can see all of africa buying his PPVs

None of this is race bating or anything

lol yeah of course it's not.
Why not break it down by gender, weight class, nationality of the champion? Because that wouldn't be race baiting.

I couldn't give a shit what colour the champion is, just how good they are and whether I like watching their fights.

I know I'll watch his fights. He's a beast and has a great story. If marketed correctly I think so. He also speaks better English than Stipe

Any African combat athlete that has "sold" before?

I don't think any true Black African has ever reached Ngannou's level. Azumah Nelson was the biggest African boxer, not really sure how popular he was and it was mostly in the 80's.

Yes. If this dude, who is hard to understand at the best of times, can make over 500 million dollars...

1319215840_mike_tyson_uppercut.gif

...I think Francis has a shot.

giphy.gif

HW's that knock people out will always sell.

Back