Will Rizin become big as Pride and compete with Ufc?

Yeah UFC is C-tier mma promotion because they don't feature tekken.

No. A big part of PRIDE's relative success was the fighters it had. Rizin doesn't have much of a shot of having 2 or 3 of the most talented divisions in the sport, especially the HW division. I hope they do well and continue to grow, but a PRIDE environment will never happen again so long as the UFC has 90+% of the top talent in the sport. Even if you feel the UFC doesn't have that much talent, the perception is that they do, and that is what matters in gaining interest.
Perception is the key in the 2000s a champ would try to become undisputed by getting the major belts. After dana white saw 2x in a row the „best mma fighters if all time“ nanely lidell and metzger gerting theyre ass kicked in the quarter finals he necer co promoted again. Its a fact 90% if the ufc roster are cans especially the stars mcnugget steroid jones abd more. anderson silva, vitor belfort, lidell all got theyre ass kicked in japan. And dana white promotes jon jones getting his arm nearly snapped off by a 40+ no trt vitor as sign that jon jones is the goat. Ufc greats would get theyre asses kicked by ksw and ucmma as seen with mcnugget (0-2 in the uk).

The biggest question really is when does Conor McGregor start promoting and running his own shows. That changes everything if Ufc stops giving him special treament because he will bounce. Him and Dana are going to have a falling out soon because of a power struggle. Conor may end up buying a Rizin in 2 or 3 years and promoting a superior rule set than UFC against Dana.

The biggest question really is when does Conor McGregor start promoting and running his own shows. That changes everything if Ufc stops giving him special treament because he will bounce. Him and Dana are going to have a falling out soon because of a power struggle. Conor may end up buying a Rizin in 2 or 3 years and promoting a superior rule set than UFC against Dana.
Keep dreaming. He just signed like an 8-fight deal with them

He can't do anything without UFC
He signed a 6 fight contract
He is tied to UFC

I don't think people understand that the UFC made more revenue with the last Conor PPV alone than Pride had revenue for their best year or at least very close.

I think that is a pretty safe bet

229 did over 5x Bellator's 2017

Back in 2004 Pride was the best and had their peak 2005, the best Hwa fought in Pride back then

The question is will Rizin try to become what Pride was but in the female divisions? If Rizin tried to promote at 115 lbs grand prix with 1,000,000 $ it could give an attention to have Joanna, Paige van Zant, Gadelha, angela lee, Jessica Andrade, Syuri Kondo and many more

Also Rizin will keep doing that tekken fight to bring a new audience that Ufc will miss nobody cares about the Ufc games
I would love for it to be as big as ufc/pride. I’m assuming it’ll be pretty damn big. We just gotta wait and see tho.

DAZN is not big in Japan.

Streaming services in Japan have not taken (in comparison to other countries)

People are always pining for the next PRIDE, but the further I look back at those days, the less I believe we'll ever have a time like that again.

As for being PRIDE, but women's division.... I don't know, probably because I don't particularly care about women fighting. Their big hope was Rena, I assume, and that's looking a little uncertain, so... well, like the guy said, Rome wasn't built in a day. But I don't really see anything in the here and now that screams PRIDE.

Part of the problem is that MMA(and K-1) in Japanj during its peak wasn't popular in the way the UFC is popular in the US today, it was popular in the way mainstream sports are pulling up to 50% of the entire TV viewership(obviously lower most of the time but still very significant). A lot of the money the fighters were earning was actually though exploiting that doing TV commercials and the like.

Its not like MMA interest in Japan is dead but its dropped back to the same kind of level we see in the US sans Conor and without much PPV culture that's not going to bring in massive amounts of money.

Baseball was huge. MMA was moderately big at best. But K1 was definitely bigger than Pride. People now seem to think Pride was some kind of mega success in Japan. Most average Japanese had no idea who Fedor or the other foreign ”stars” were...

I guess it depends what you determine as huge. Kakutougi sports as a whole were arguably bigger in Japan from early to mid 2000's than combat sports have been anywhere else on the planet at any point in history (maybe muay thai in Thailand?). Combat sports enjoying a mainstream success like they did in Japan back then is very rare.

Highly unlikely, but the crowd was going nuts for Tenshin and Horiguchi at the last event. That's a start.

I guess it depends what you determine as huge. Kakutougi sports as a whole were arguably bigger in Japan from early to mid 2000's than combat sports have been anywhere else on the planet at any point in history (maybe muay thai in Thailand?). Combat sports enjoying a mainstream success like they did in Japan back then is very rare.

I don't think it's arguable. Unless you count Roman times.

Muay Thai is just one sport, there's been many highly popular combat sports in Japan.

You have to remember how PRIDE gained a foothold in the first place.

It was basically put together as a showcase for Rickson Gracie vs Nobuhiku Takada

The allure of the best fighter in the Gracie family (who already got more notoriety in Japan thanks to his appearances World Open Vale Tudo/Japan Vale Tudo) against their very popular Pro Wrestler Takada brought the fans and media interest in.

So it was a combination of Gracie mystique and pro wrestling popularity that got PRIDE off the ground running, even though there were already other MMA promotions (Pancrase, JVT, Shooto, etc.) established at the time.

Then other Japanese fighters grew from those fledgling PRIDE shows like Shoji and Sakuraba and to a lesser extent, Otsuka (who got a major bump for outlasting Marco Ruas in PRIDE 4--which also had Rickson Gracie and Takada's 2nd bout.)

Without something that will really bring in the viewers ("casual interest" as it's called) like a Rickson vs Takada match and homegrown Japanese fighters that are popular/winning, there isn't much chance for Rizin to get anywhere.

Not to mention the lack of overall interest in combat sports in Japan overall. I would never have thought that K-1 would die like it did. Even Sumo, the national sport, is far less popular than it used to be.

If Japan can't find their own national combat sport interesting, I can't really see MMA getting much bigger today either.

Well guys looks like I was right because Rizin has not Floyd :)

We can now see Deontay Wilder in Rizin soon

Back