Will Rizin become big as Pride and compete with Ufc?

Didn’t Pride use a lot of Pro Wrestlers to promote their earlier events?

Short answer: yes
Long answer: Fuck yes

<Moves>

But honestly I dont have an idea. This could go both ways. Hope it is for the better.
Certainly could be a game changer. Hopefully levels the playing field on the world MMA scene.

Idk man. Right now RIZIN is having trouble finding an audience. There was the typhoon to consider, but their last card was amazing on paper (and in reality), but it didn't garner ratings that were really much better than their previous cards, or at least not what they were looking for. It has been hinted that if they don't start getting some major ratings that Fuji TV might pull the plug, and without them they are likely to fold.

However... DAZN is huge in Japan. DAZN is adding org after org to their roster of content. DAZN is paying big bucks for streaming rights. RIZIN making a deal with DAZN may be inevitable, especially if Fuji TV decides they don't want to broadcast RIZIN events beyond this coming NYE. Factor in that Bellator and Coker have made it clear that they want to begin co-promoting events with RIZIN again, which, if both were streaming events on DAZN, would make a ton of sense for all three parties and make the inevitable DAZN/RIZIN deal even more inevitable. If RIZIN makes the deal with DAZN it would have probably another three years (with an option for five) to operate, at the least.

A women's 115 GP with the names you posted? Idk. With $1mil up for grabs, maybe. But it would be hard for RIZIN to lure in all or even some of the names you mentioned. And their deal is finding native stars. Rena is a failed attempt. Kana might have some star power, especially if she learns to strike and becomes more well rounded and keeps winning (she will need to be well rounded to be the best). RIZIN would want probably a few more local names in that pool, I'm sure. I just don't think they'd be able, nor really want, to lure Claudia and JJ and PVZ away from the UFC, and Lee won't be leaving ONE either. I'm sure if any if them were interested that they'd take them, I don't see them attempting to poach them from different orgs, especially en masse.

What RIZIN CAN do is what the previous Japanese orgs (and RIZIN, to a point) have been amazing at doing, finding NEW talent with a bright future. Japan knows talent. They find unknown fighters with talent, guys like Bibi Fernandes, who have the upside to become world class talent in the future. That is more their MO, and rather than attempt to bring in current, in their primes, name fighters, I believe they'd try to find prospects who are unknowns and make them into stars.

Could they find success and become a huge organization? It isn't outside the realm of possibility. But in order to put themselves in position to do that, they need to survive.

IMO, it hinges on DAZN and Fuji. If they can maintain deals with both, outlook is bright.
Maybe if they co promote with one and bellator like trade fighters like if Caldwell vs Mighty Mouse Alvarez vs chandler the kickboxing sensation vs whoever Vera vs bader Cro Cop wandy fedor Barnett in a three way super show every few months over multiple platforms

Maybe if they co promote with one and bellator like trade fighters like if Caldwell vs Mighty Mouse Alvarez vs chandler the kickboxing sensation vs whoever Vera vs bader Cro Cop wandy fedor Barnett in a three way super show every few months over multiple platforms

Would be great to see. They are co-promoting with Mayweather and possibly K-1 for this show so who knows. They have worked with many orgs. already. A list of them.

ONE is basically not gonna happen. They've done everything but say they are competing with RIZIN, and if they did it would just be a formality.

The Bellator thing is gonna happen. Horiguchi sparring with fighter who are 6' makes it obvious that he will probably be fighting Caldwell. I think Caldwell beats him. I imagine with the momentum that each organization is gaining of late that they both feel as though co-promotion would be beneficial to both. Especially now with Floyd involved on NYE, we can expect Coker to do anything he can to make the bill be "RIZIN/TMT/Bellator present..." Would be a beautiful show.

If Mayweather can back it up financially and hire top talents, then yes definitely.

Not to mention the lack of overall interest in combat sports in Japan overall. I would never have thought that K-1 would die like it did. Even Sumo, the national sport, is far less popular than it used to be.

If Japan can't find their own national combat sport interesting, I can't really see MMA getting much bigger today either.

Sumo was probably relying on freakshow personalities for the past few decades starting with Akebono and the real hardcore fans who can actually follow the grappling techniques are getting old and dying off.

Sumo was probably relying on freakshow personalities for the past few decades starting with Akebono and the real hardcore fans who can actually follow the grappling techniques are getting old and dying off.
It's actually the fact that their homegrown Sumotori were losing is why it started dying, starting with American-born Akebono winning.

One of the biggest rivalries in Sumo during the 90s was Akebono vs Takanohaha and interest in the sport was higher than ever.

After Takanohana retired, Sumo started its downward spiral.

Foreigners like Asahoryu winning Basshos didn't help either.

Rizin will have his fair share, its easier for roiders to fight in Rizin then in the UFC, which results in a much better HW and LHW Roster. Also like previously mentioned, DAZN is growing and is important for the international sucess beyond Asia.

What about now? LOL. It has been a fun ride. Short but fun.
Well, this still had every major news media source in the world talking about RIZIN. Conor talking shit about Tenshin and Tenshin's response got people talking too. It's definitely a bummer that this isn't going to happen, but they got more publicity than they ever would have gotten otherwise. I watched video after video on YouTube that were by boxing/Floyd fans showing highlights of Tenshin and saying that the guy looked like a badass. So, it's not all for naught. People know who Tenshin and RIZIN now, and I'd wager that RIZIN will have more eyes on them on NYE than they were going to have before this fiasco. Hopefully NYE is a huge success, and hopefully they are successful moving forward.

ONE is basically not gonna happen. They've done everything but say they are competing with RIZIN, and if they did it would just be a formality.

The Bellator thing is gonna happen. Horiguchi sparring with fighter who are 6' makes it obvious that he will probably be fighting Caldwell. I think Caldwell beats him. I imagine with the momentum that each organization is gaining of late that they both feel as though co-promotion would be beneficial to both. Especially now with Floyd involved on NYE, we can expect Coker to do anything he can to make the bill be "RIZIN/TMT/Bellator present..." Would be a beautiful show.

Agree that we are very unlikely to see any co-promotion from ONE.
They are like the UFC in the sense that they want to dominate their respective markets, and both ONE and UFC have a fan base that is largely unaware of or uninterested in other promotions.

You can believe that many Bellator, Rizin, cage warriors fans are fans of the UFC....while majority of ONE, KSW fans may not be, and that's why it doesn't make sense to do co-promotion.

Agree that we are very unlikely to see any co-promotion from ONE.
They are like the UFC in the sense that they want to dominate their respective markets, and both ONE and UFC have a fan base that is largely unaware of or uninterested in other promotions.

You can believe that many Bellator, Rizin, cage warriors fans are fans of the UFC....while majority of ONE, KSW fans may not be, and that's why it doesn't make sense to do co-promotion.
Whatever happened to the ONEFC network? Is that still even a thing? I remember in their early days they wanted to do all kinds of co-promotion, and haven't seen them do it in a long, long time.

I'm honestly surprised they are letting the HW champ from Cage Warriors fight Vera, but they also don't really even have a HW division, so maybe it is out of necessity just to give Vera a fight?

You're right about ONE being an awful lot like the UFC, business wise.

Back