Banned
Banned
Reaction score
LULS

REFN: only god forgives is a masterpiece
Friedkin: you are fucking insane as well as full of yourself

PS also, is REFN "slow"?

This is hilarious.

What is it from? How did these two end up across from each other? Where is the full interview?

William Friedkin is the man, that was funny as hell he said is there a doctor in the house?

This is hilarious.

What is it from? How did these two end up across from each other? Where is the full interview?

If you look at the other video that show up on youtube with that video you should get it. I didn't watch them.
Friedkin was hilarious and REFN seemed to be trying to shit on Citizen Kane...

I don't think I have ever heard anyone else...not even people who made legit masterpieces call their movie a masterpiece.

I honestly didn't understand that movie.

Visually, it was good. But that's where it ends for me.

I didn't think the movie was awful

I think what's probably the biggest turn off for people is how self-congratulatory Refn is. It's obvious from a lot of statements he's made that he has a very high opinion of himself and his work.

Personally, I won't begrudge him his self-confidence, but his ego does get a bit laughable at times.

I like Refn but I think that was need to be said, Neon Demon and OGF have been pretentius and full of himself in detriment of the films.

Some scenes, cinematography and soundtrack are cool in places but they dont stand as a whole as a film, more insteristing that most of the films out there on theater but he neeeds to concentrate in doing a movie instead of a "Refn masterpiece".

If you look at the other video that show up on youtube with that video you should get it. I didn't watch them.
Friedkin was hilarious and REFN seemed to be trying to shit on Citizen Kane...

I don't think I have ever heard anyone else...not even people who made legit masterpieces call their movie a masterpiece.
Some of the greats in art don't mind flaunting it.

Oscar Wilde and Salvador Dali come to mind. I'm not saying Refn is among them.

I honestly didn't understand that movie.

Visually, it was good. But that's where it ends for me.
It's not an easy one to care about. A lot of it refers to a story occurring before the film, which is to say a story that occurs not at all. And it's a theme of atonement, set against serious Oedipal dysfunction. Essentially, an uncomfortable story told cryptically.

Refn is getting beat up because he's a surreal director. I feel he's better received when I let go of any expectation of reality. And, frankly, hope.

His is a world of predators.

"It was an inexpensive movie, so financially..."

"Who gives a shit?!"

{<jordan}

Really though it gives the impression Refn was going to qualify the use of the term "masterpiece" likely undercutting it and Friedkin jumped in before he could. I mean in terms of a "masterpiece" summing up a artists style you could definitely argue its the "most Refn" film if perhaps not the best.

Refn can be a bit self satifed at points(but I think it makes him an interesting interview) but Friedkin comes across like a old man shaking his fist at todays kids and their strange clothes/music.

I would point out that hardly anyone watches Citizen Cane these days outside of filmschool.

Last edited:
Back