William Friedkin shutting down REFN's nonsense

I want to challenge this but it actually WAS a film history class where I first watched Citizen Kane.

That Sight and Sound "greatest films" list to me comes to mind when it comes to older critics/film makers failing to acknowledge cinema beyond their own era, still preaching the European new wave and Hitchcock(who ironically was rather pulpy for his era ala Refn) as the be all and end all of cinema.

Honestly I tend to think cinema has actually been very creatively active in recent years compared to a lot of mainstream art forms(especially music), perhaps not in terms of big blockbusters but theres a very healthy scene behind that.

Last edited:
Drive was fantastic, one of my favourite films. Neon Demon was pretty bad. Only God Forgives was that bad I switched it off.

I think as a director you have to make something that you love that is for yourself; if other people like it, great, if they don't too bad. It's just that some directors have "visions" that agree with us and some do not.
Can't really blame Refn for liking his own work if it's exactly what he wanted to make and appeals to himself. Now being so up front about it, well that's not my style, I'm not into boasting unless it's a heat of the moment thing.

Again though if you listen to it Refn is looking to qualify the use of the word "masterpiece" as he;s interrupted and I'm betting that would almost certainly have been to undermine it.

I do actually think Refn is one of the best interviewees/public speakers of directors these days, I mean he's a bit self obcessed but actually has some character to him and doesn't just play it safe, plus I remember him casually dropping the F-bomb all over a BBC breakfast news interview. <45>

I want to challenge this but it actually WAS a film history class where I first watched Citizen Kane.
It's got everything. Good story, script, acting, directing, fine drama, good character and story arcs, excellent cinematography.
We've been waiting for another Citizen Kane and I'm not sure anything quite equals it.

Besides, of course, Matrix Revolutions

I wonder when Refn will finally acknowledge that Drive is just a remake of Walter Hill's The Driver.

MV5BM2EzODM4YzYtOWRjZS00MGVhLTkwYmEtNDU4YjQyY2UyOGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU%40._V1_SY1000_CR0%2C0%2C687%2C1000_AL_.jpg

I wonder when Refn will finally acknowledge that Drive is just a remake of Walter Hill's The Driver.

MV5BM2EzODM4YzYtOWRjZS00MGVhLTkwYmEtNDU4YjQyY2UyOGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwMzI2NzU%40._V1_SY1000_CR0%2C0%2C687%2C1000_AL_.jpg

I do tend to view Refn as more inline with Tarantino, just more focused on visuals rather than dialog, basically taking pulp genre stables and working them over with his style.

I mean you wouldn't say Drive is a film defined by an amazingly original concept would you? the concept is deliberately a stable of genre cinema and its more the way its played(often against expectations) that gives the film its worth.

having paid money to see Bug, Friedkin can go fuck himself.

Only about the first 15 minutes or so though. Afterwards they're markedly different.

Both are pretty great, though.

I would point out that hardly anyone watches Citizen Cane these days outside of filmschool.

To be fair, virtually nobody watches any film that's 40+ years old these days. Only film nerds do.

I would point out as well that Friedkin's era was NOT shy at all when it came to praising films like 2001 as classics on release, indeed I would argue it was actually much more dismissive of older cinema than we are today.

I think what's probably the biggest turn off for people is how self-congratulatory Refn is. It's obvious from a lot of statements he's made that he has a very high opinion of himself and his work.

Personally, I won't begrudge him his self-confidence, but his ego does get a bit laughable at times.
Yeah. You can make a masterpiece, or even think you've made one. But you can't say "I made a masterpiece"

Friedkin made To Live and Die in LA and the French Connection so he can basically shit on anyone he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah. You can make a masterpiece, or even think you've made one. But you can't say "I made a masterpiece"

Friedkin made To Live and Die in LA and the French Connection so he can basically shit on anyone he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Again though Refn to me seemed to be playing around with the phase but Friedkin didn't let him finish his comment, I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of "I made a masterpiece....badly".

Just seems like a terrible mismatch of personalties to me, Refn very playful and Friedkin very gruff, I couldnt help but think...

krusty62036.jpg

Last edited:
Friedkin you're a can. What have you made comparable to Drive? @BisexualMMA

The Exorcist and The French Connection? Both better than drive

Refn is amazing though. Drive, Only God Forgives, and Neon Demon might be one of the best runs of films of all time. OGF went above so many peoples heads but the movie was incredible.

Walter Hill >>>>>>>>Refn

I'd rather watch The Driver, The Warriors, The Long Riders, Southern Comfort or 48 Hours before any of Refn's pretentious wankfests.

also anyone watch The Hunted by freidkin? movie was fun, awesome knife fights

It's just a tad premature isn't it. Aside from the fact that it is for others to decide, to proclaim work that has not stood the test of significant amount of time 'a masterpiece' is just plain stupid and immature.

Laughable really - in same category as 22 year olds writing their memoirs.

I would point out that hardly anyone watches Citizen Cane these days outside of filmschool.
That's okay. They don't watch Only God Forgives even at film school.

Back