William Friedkin shutting down REFN's nonsense

Refn > Friedkin tbh. Pusher trilogy + Drive

19774ac43440b2157b9b5d2da911d8b8_400x1000.gif

It's just a tad premature isn't it. Aside from the fact that it is for others to decide, to proclaim work that has not stood the test of significant amount of time 'a masterpiece' is just plain stupid and immature.

Laughable really - in same category as 22 year olds writing their memoirs.

Again though he's not really just reffering to his own work as a masterpiece, he was using that phase but was going to qualify it in what would likely have been a much less self congratulatory fashion only to be cut off and not allowed to finish.

As far as timescales go I'd disagree this is something modern, indeed I think Friedkin's prime era in the 60's and 70's self mytholising works of art very soon after their release was arguably far more common than today. People were not saying "lets see how 2001 or the Godfather holds up in 20 years time" , they were proclaiming them among the greatest films ever released very quickly. There was also I'd say far less respect for older cinema at that point than their is today for cinema of the 70's.

Again though he's not really just reffering to his own work as a masterpiece, he was using that phase but was going to qualify it in what would likely have been a much less self congratulatory fashion only to be cut off and not allowed to finish.
Of, ffs, stop.

When you refer to your own work as a "masterpiece" you're going full Kanye West. Stop white knighting that. Whether or not you agree he took no half-measure in egocentricity there.

Of, ffs, stop.

When you refer to your own work as a "masterpiece" you're going full Kanye West. Stop white knighting that. Whether or not you agree he took no half-measure in egocentricity there.

Not sure how that refers to my post, again for about the sixth time if you watch it he's not referring to it just as a masterpiece but is going to qualify that somehow before he's interrupted, something like "a masterpiece of self indulgence" for example. From what I'v seen of him elsewhere he isn't anywhere near self congratulatory enough to take the Kanye West route of self promotion.

As far as timescales go I'd disagree this is something modern, indeed I think Friedkin's prime era in the 60's and 70's self mytholising works of art very soon after their release was arguably far more common than today. People were not saying "lets see how 2001 or the Godfather holds up in 20 years time" , they were proclaiming them among the greatest films ever released very quickly. There was also I'd say far less respect for older cinema at that point than their is today for cinema of the 70's.
As you please. But as someone who lives in Refn-land and intimately familiar with the self-satisfied milieu of the creative elite here, i will have to disagree. I feel fairly confident that he would not have rounded that sentence off modestly but with something infinitely more smug and self-aggrandising :D He's a smart lad and a good film-maker but let's not pretend he is not totally up himself in every way it's possible to be up oneself. I actually quite like him but also understand why most people (not of his milieu) seem to want to strangle him on sight.

Drive = Gosling + satin jacket. Will it hold up in 20 years outside of Gosling biopics and 'Gosling's 10 Best Performances' type youtube compilation videos...?
We will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
having paid money to see Bug, Friedkin can go fuck himself.

I don't get the hate for this movie. I really liked it and had no idea Friedkin directed. But then again, I love me some Ashley Judd even though in real life she is a fucking moron.

I think Drive is a masterpiece. Fell asleep during Only God Forgives but I was already legit tired so its not all on the movie. I liked what I saw though, especially when the Thai cop chases that guy but then instead cuts him off. Refn makes great chase scenes, that one and the opening one in Drive are among my favorites but to be fair I don't really like chase scenes in general so it makes sense that the ones that betray the standard expectations are going to be more my style.

I loved The Neon Demon but its one of those films that, while I loved it, I can completely understand why it is most don't.

I think Refn being a genius is the one thing @Cint and I agree on. I'll always have a certain minimum level of respect for him simply for that.

The Exorcist and The French Connection? Both better than drive

Refn is amazing though. Drive, Only God Forgives, and Neon Demon might be one of the best runs of films of all time. OGF went above so many peoples heads but the movie was incredible.

The Exorcist and The French Connection? Both better than drive

Refn is amazing though. Drive, Only God Forgives, and Neon Demon might be one of the best runs of films of all time. OGF went above so many peoples heads but the movie was incredible.
Been a long time since I've seen The French Connection, don't remember loving it but I was in high school so maybe I couldn't appreciate it.

Hard for me to pick between Drive and The Exorcist. The former is such a unique film that has a different take on a lot of movie tropes and ideas while the latter is probably my favorite horror movie of all time. I really thought, being a young guy who has seen The Exorcist parodied to death, that it wouldn't scare me at all but boy was I wrong. I read the book afterwards and its amazing but also made me appreciate the film as well since I felt it was basically a perfect adaptation.
Of, ffs, stop.

I like Refn but I agree, calling your own stuff a masterpiece is cringey but Refn is nothing if not cringey. And seriously, OGF is the masterpiece? Should've went with Drive.

I think Drive is a masterpiece. Fell asleep during Only God Forgives but I was already legit tired so its not all on the movie. I liked what I saw though, especially when the Thai cop chases that guy but then instead cuts him off. Refn makes great chase scenes, that one and the opening one in Drive are among my favorites but to be fair I don't really like chase scenes in general so it makes sense that the ones that betray the standard expectations are going to be more my style.

I loved The Neon Demon but its one of those films that, while I loved it, I can completely understand why it is most don't.

If you're a huge Refn fan as I am, check my thread out. forums.sherdog.com/threads/nicolas-winding-refn-appreciation-page.3544857/

haha had no idea Friedkin was that funny. Legend.

He has to be some sort of mega troll. No one can be that pretentious and self absorbed.

Refn makes entertaining films.

Have you seen the Pusher films bro?

It's pretty funny how Refn went from making squalid, dirty crime drama to becoming the immaculate, hyper-stylish director he is nowadays. The Pusher films are brilliant though, especially the second one.

Have you seen the Pusher films bro?

It's pretty funny how Refn went from making squalid, dirty crime drama to becoming the immaculate, hyper-stylish director he is nowadays. The Pusher films are brilliant though, especially the second one.
Not yet but have heard great things about them. My brother has the trilogy I think.

Back