Wing Chun in MMA

Some elements of trapping work great in boxing and the Thai clinch. Some are just too complicated. Simple use of parries and pins, however, are great assets in the clinch and especially with stripping your opponent's clinch off your own neck. Samir Seif on Youtube has some excellent videos explaining this. He's one of those Erik Paulson, well-traveled, try everything martial artist types. He seems like an excellent trainer, and I really like his videos, so I take his word that it works for him and his students. I think he trains one of the current TBA champs.

Some elements of trapping work great in boxing and the Thai clinch. Some are just too complicated. Simple use of parries and pins, however, are great assets in the clinch and especially with stripping your opponent's clinch off your own neck. Samir Seif on Youtube has some excellent videos explaining this. He's one of those Erik Paulson, well-traveled, try everything martial artist types. He seems like an excellent trainer, and I really like his videos, so I take his word that it works for him and his students. I think he trains one of the current TBA champs.

very true...

i have seen and experienced this first hand, i don't know how the art stands alone; but it def has applicable elements that could supplement an mma's fighter in specific instances/situations.

the thing with Wing Chun that nobody really has addressed is that Wing Chun in its original lineage was built for the street and self defence and were talking about mma which is competitions where you would be gloved giving the mma fighter and advantage, also one of forms of Wing Chun, Bii Gii, it is called or something like that teaches you how to fight when you are at the final point, where your guard is broken and its clinch distance, including groin shots, throat gouges and darting fingers which would be illegal in mma, making it very hard for a true Wing Chun practitioner with a full teaching of the forms to make it in MMA.

the thing with Wing Chun that nobody really has addressed is that Wing Chun in its original lineage was built for the street and self defence and were talking about mma which is competitions where you would be gloved giving the mma fighter and advantage, also one of forms of Wing Chun, Bii Gii, it is called or something like that teaches you how to fight when you are at the final point, where your guard is broken and its clinch distance, including groin shots, throat gouges and darting fingers which would be illegal in mma, making it very hard for a true Wing Chun practitioner with a full teaching of the forms to make it in MMA.

That also makes it hard for a true Wing Chun practitioner to do any of those things off the cuff in a fight.

Not even sure I'd call that "sparring"

It's technical sparring. You see it in pretty much all fighting styles.

I would like to see some full speed sparring that doesn't look like a chain-punching girl fight, though. The stuff I saw on Fight Quest wasn't impressive. The practitioners were getting beat up by the substandard boxing of one of the hosts. Didn't see any application of trapping there.

Some of the trapping along with short elbows could be useful in the clinch.I trained with a functional JKD guy,he was also a pro kickboxer and catch wrestler,for quite a while and he found that the only real useful things from Wing Chun were the Pak Sau and Straight Blast (chain punching).As a matter of fact when he worked as a bouncer the straight blast was his primary weapon.If the guy was at kicking range he would Thai kick the thigh and follow up with the straight blast.He hit hard too.His straight blast wasn't just a bunch of speedy punches,4 or 5 of those from him and you were out.The closest thing I've seen to the straight blast used in MMA is Vitor against Wanderlei.

I have another idea.Train Anderson in Wing Chun for six months.He'll pull something off.:)

the thing with Wing Chun that nobody really has addressed is that Wing Chun in its original lineage was built for the street and self defence and were talking about mma which is competitions where you would be gloved giving the mma fighter and advantage,

A Boxer or MMA fighter punching you in the face and knocking you the fuck out is just as good in the ring/cage as it is on the street, ie. your "self defense". How about after you're KO'ed and unconscious on the ground, the MMA starts stomping your skull in against the cement until you die. Is that real enough?

This "self defense" gimmick is what you try to sell to fat chicks and girlie-men who are scared to get hit in the face for real at 70-100% power during sparring.

including groin shots, throat gouges and darting fingers which would be illegal in mma, making it very hard for a true Wing Chun practitioner with a full teaching of the forms to make it in MMA.

Yea, and grabbing some guy's nuts on the streets is so amazing and groundbreaking that no one in MMA could ever hope to master right? Basically, you're paying money to some guy to teach you how to grab another dude's nutsack real hard?

Tell me, why does WC also holds tournaments that disallows nut shots, eye jabs, etc.? And while wearing a shit-ton of safety gear on, including what looks like a motorcycle helmet? MMA = 4oz gloves + mouthguard. Which is more brutal?

And eye poking and scratching people's throats, talk about awesomeness. You know, every time I watch a YouTube video where hookers fight, they always scratch and poke eyes too, maybe they are Wing Chun experts. No one else can figure out how to poke eyes nor target throats right except Chuners and hookers right?

Tell me, is this Wing Chun?

8 Ballbusting - BallBustingTube.com - ballbustingtube.com

A Boxer or MMA fighter punching you in the face and knocking you the fuck out is just as good in the ring/cage as it is on the street, ie. your "self defense". How about after you're KO'ed and unconscious on the ground, the MMA starts stomping your skull in against the cement until you die. Is that real enough?

This "self defense" gimmick is what you try to sell to fat chicks and girlie-men who are scared to get hit in the face for real at 70-100% power during sparring.

Yea, and grabbing some guy's nuts on the streets is so amazing and groundbreaking that no one in MMA could ever hope to master right? Basically, you're paying money to some guy to teach you how to grab another dude's nutsack real hard?

Tell me, why does WC also holds tournaments that disallows nut shots, eye jabs, etc.? And while wearing a shit-ton of safety gear on, including what looks like a motorcycle helmet? MMA = 4oz gloves + mouthguard. Which is more brutal?

And eye poking and scratching people's throats, talk about awesomeness. You know, every time I watch a YouTube video where hookers fight, they always scratch and poke eyes too, maybe they are Wing Chun experts. No one else can figure out how to poke eyes nor target throats right except Chuners and hookers right?

Anyone can poke eyes and punch throat. It's easier than doing yoga. Grabbing balls, hahaha. Even little kids can do that. Nothing skilled about those kind of shit.

LOL!

haha exactly

Yea, and grabbing somhttp://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/wing-chun-mma-450132/index13.htmle guy's nuts on the streets is so amazing and groundbreaking that no one in MMA could ever hope to master right? Basically, you're paying money to some guy to teach you how to grab another dude's nutsack real hard?

Um... probably the same reason that stuff is illigal in MMA. But, ya... I'm a wing chun guy and I think those tournaments are pretty lame.

I'n a real fight you can't hope to always get 1 punch knockout. Not everyone is built like mike tyson, and there are not weight classes in real life. I'm not big guy. 160lb. If I punched any heavy weight with with my strongest hook, there is no way I could knock him it. Going for tender spot would equalize that.

None of those self defence systems work on their own. But to be ready for a real fight you do need to train in something full contact. Just look at the way the navy seals train, or any special forces from any country. They don't limit them selves to sport combat. They always add Krav maga, combat ju jitsu, etc.

are you seriously tell me that now there is TWO pointless thread about the same kind of topic? And this one got necro'd too? Gimme a break...

Brah I'm still wondering where all the wing chun hate is coming from...LOL!

old post, but thought i would share that i got to train pro MMA fighter, Tony Ferguson, teaching him how to keep his root and develop short range power the wing chun way, to prepare him for his upcoming UFC fight. hope to see wing chun power in the cage!

great videos. shows the application of trapping in a close quarters situation....stuff really works especially against untrained people. but in mma, not so much because of several factors (footwork, hard to time a good striker, sweat, etc.)

I think wing chun combined with Sumo would be an awesome combo for MMA

I practiced WC for close to 5 years.

Just like anything, there are elements that could be useful, and elements that will get you creamed. Some of the centreline theory is very applicable. Some of the blocks are very useful and I have even used them in Muay Thai sparring with effectiveness. I have also used chain punching to throw guys off believe it or not. It's all about using it at the right time and the right place with the right setup.

But if you walk into the cage with only WC as your standup, you're in trouble. Big trouble.

I practiced WC for close to 5 years.

Just like anything, there are elements that could be useful, and elements that will get you creamed. Some of the centreline theory is very applicable. Some of the blocks are very useful and I have even used them in Muay Thai sparring with effectiveness. I have also used chain punching to throw guys off believe it or not. It's all about using it at the right time and the right place with the right setup.

But if you walk into the cage with only WC as your standup, you're in trouble. Big trouble.

There's also a lot of other concepts that are applicable in Wing Chun (being a practitioner myself), but there are also a lot of situational techniques that COULD be good, but won't always present themselves in an environment with equally skilled fighters. There's also a problem with the footwork against any sort of wrestling martial or sport art. That's not to say the art is bad because a lot of standup arts fair poorly against wrestling arts.

But you're right: going in with just Wing Chun as your stand-up will limit you severely limit you in the cage or on the 'streets.' That said, it's the same with so many martial arts that it's not really an argument to state that wing chun in itself is bad. Helio Gracie proved that in order to be effective you needed to round out your knowledge of martial arts to combat other types of martial arts, and was the same stuff Bruce Lee was saying, as well as others long before Bruce Lee. It's also why Bruce Lee developed a modernized version of wing chun, but you could say that his 'modernized' version of Wing Chun might have actually been more closely related to the original when you consider Mao's extermination of martial artists in China, as well as scriptural translations being modified as time passed and becoming less effective.

Back