Wing chun is a bad martial art.

It was a bad move to make this thread man... so not worth it.

Wing Chun was designed for brutal self-defense- in Asia. So was Aikido and Ninjutsu... Maybe Amerians just need to quit trying to adapt this stuff? Maybe we're screwing it up. I know we screwed up the two latter mentioned arts.

I don't think we screwed these MAs up. I think aikido has a place, actual fighting isn't it. This isn't the fault of Americans.

Lol. The day of barging into a dojo, shouting your lineage, and demanding a duel with the head instructor is over :icon_lol:

And if you win you take the Dojo sign and they kill themselves out of shame.

So I watched the video that contained pretty much entirely warm-up exercises to cheesy music. But actually LOOKED at a couple things, and it led me to the conclusion that yes...every single stance demonstrated is completely inapplicable in any combat art, let alone combat Sport. Well, except some of them I've seen elsewhere:

qzk6ma.jpg

Jack_Johnson_Uppercut.jpg

(Jack Johnson, of course.)

fitzevasion.jpg

(That's Bob Fitzsimmons.)

images

(On the left is the great Sam Langford, on the right is the great Joe Jeanette, both Hall of Famers.)

Picture11.png

So ummm, yeah, come to think about it...MOSTLY not at all applicable, I guess.

So I watched the video that contained pretty much entirely warm-up exercises to cheesy music. But actually LOOKED at a couple things, and it led me to the conclusion that yes...every single stance demonstrated is completely inapplicable in any combat art, let alone combat Sport. Well, except some of them I've seen elsewhere:

qzk6ma.jpg

Jack_Johnson_Uppercut.jpg

(Jack Johnson, of course.)

fitzevasion.jpg

(That's Bob Fitzsimmons.)

images

(On the left is the great Sam Langford, on the right is the great Joe Jeanette, both Hall of Famers.)

Picture11.png

So ummm, yeah, come to think about it...MOSTLY not at all applicable, I guess.

Those punches and stances shown in your boxing photos ARE the way WC is done.

The videos in the first post are just pieces of the form sets, not how the application is done

Also a lot of those postures are good for A LOT of reasons. Not the lest of which is that they activate the posterior chain, and thus, are better-balanced than front-foot heavy stances. I don't agree with the way the center-line is compromised, and the non-emphasis of rotation of the trunk, but there's A LOT of other arts with worse problems.

Back