Wing Chun or Muay Thai? Which is Truly More Effective for Self Defense?

flailing punches, chin straight in the air

Unlike boxing, they don't do like Floyd with head movement and shoulder rolls. They try and change angles but, due to a lack of actual sparring, they can only go by fuckery.

Rogan's posted about this shit before. I think he is biased but, if history has shown us anything, there are core arts of MMA which are boxing/kick boxing/Thai standup, BJJ being a staple, and wrestling/TDD all a must. These 3 are core. Yes, there is the anomaly like Machida or Wonderboy. I think certain subsets of ancient traditional arts are very practical.

I am in search of a new martial art. Thinking about either a mma class that incorporates everything or doing a couple arts at once. Like MMA class to do grapping and standup but, to pay for a BJJ program. i just know, most fights start standing.

damn WC guy was a badass here

Its nice to see someone that is actually good. I found some really bad ones though. I suppose its co-dependent upon the actual practitioner then the art. I do think a lot of fucker exists in martial arts still today.

Why you gotta go there bro...

Wing Chun has its merits but it is an "Accessory" art in my opinion. Those chain punches aren't that bad per say, but they are not sufficient.

Muay Thai is a foundational art, Wing Chun needs an adequate delivery system to reap its full benefits. Muay Thai is a platform, it will develop your overall base ability to fight, Wing Chun would be used in addition as an accessory to mod your Muay Thai catered to your liking.

Study Muay Thai first, maybe if you have time add a little Wing Chun if you must.

Why you gotta go there bro...

Wing Chun has its merits but it is an "Accessory" art in my opinion. Those chain punches aren't that bad per say, but they are not sufficient.

Muay Thai is a foundational art, Wing Chun needs an adequate delivery system to reap its full benefits. Muay Thai is a platform, it will develop your overall base ability to fight, Wing Chun would be used in addition as an accessory to mod your Muay Thai catered to your liking.

Study Muay Thai first, maybe if you have time add a little Wing Chun if you must.

I think hitting the center is intelligent versus sloppy over hand wide angle shots which isn't to say it wont work. I just think that Wing Chun is ideal under the correct circumstances tailored more toward the new school.

TDD is necessary in mma. It wont happen is not an argument. I've seen a few good practitioners but, I would have to say, 99% of what I have seen was chunners getting beat to death.

Someone made a good point on youtube with the last video I linked. BJJ was mocked back in the 60s. A Gracie made UFC selling the BJJ art as a way to defeat a man regardless of the size and power. Now, once weight classes got involved, Gracie sold UFC since, he already accomplished what he had set out to do. At this time, strikers were getting beat by the BJJ guy(s). Then, BJJ guys started getting lit up. In came the Thai/boxers/Kick boxers that dominated the sport. Karate doesn't work then came Machida.

I think we can learn a ton from all arts. I love martial arts. I have studied heavily and I would still deem myself a noob to the world of martial arts. With that said, I want to become a MMA so, I am not identified with "form." My ego is not caught up in "concept(s)." With MMA, you are skilled to fight wherever a fight goes. You can do 6months and apply boxing/kick boxing/Thai in a way that you cannot with lets say Chun or Karate.

The fact that this subject is still debated baffles me. I've studied and practiced both arts extensively. They both have merit when someone understands and can apply the overall strengths while avoiding the inherent weaknesses of the stylistic constructs.

The fact that this subject is still debated baffles me. I've studied and practiced both arts extensively. They both have merit when someone understands and can apply the overall strengths while avoiding the inherent weaknesses of the stylistic constructs.

Back from the dead, eh?

I used to know a guy who competed in thailand in the 90s who studied wing chun aswell.

Jesus Christ why is this question still being asked? Wing chun while having some useful things is not a foundational art. Kick boxing/Muay Thai/MMA are foundational arts. Wing chun is something you add on. Something you do once or twice a week for shits and grins and if anything of it is useful then yay.

Can't believe this question still exists. Its like a fucking paradox.

Muay Thai is a dueling martial art, and Wing Chun is not. There are so many scenarios that can happen on the street, that nobody can say for sure which martial art works better. For the situation when someone sneaks up on you in the bathroom and grabs you, Wing Chun would probably be more effective. But if you’re actually going to face off with someone in a back alley, Muay Thai would obviously be more effective.
I you know more about martial arts Please contact us at Shobukan Martial Arts in perth.

For the situation when someone sneaks up on you in the bathroom and grabs you, Wing Chun would probably be more effective.

I dunno, in that case, i'd put my money on the guy who did peewee wrestling.

Muay Thai is a dueling martial art, and Wing Chun is not. There are so many scenarios that can happen on the street, that nobody can say for sure which martial art works better. For the situation when someone sneaks up on you in the bathroom and grabs you, Wing Chun would probably be more effective. But if you’re actually going to face off with someone in a back alley, Muay Thai would obviously be more effective.
I you know more about martial arts Please contact us at Shobukan Martial Arts in perth.

I haven't done Wing Chun before but I have done Muay Thai, does that mean I should avoid toilets and only use the back alley?? It's going to get pretty difficult carrying around a toilet roll all the time.......

Wing-chun. If you can master your energy, you'll end up flying and throwing fireballs.

Back