Wing Chun?

M

msmethurst

Just wanted to get some opinions on the use of Wing Chun in MMA. I'm considering training in it and am impressed by what I see but I don't see any of the top guys fighting using Wing Chun so wanted to get some opinions of its strengths and weaknesses as an all around art...

To me, there is no point in taking Wing Chun. Wing Chun is mostly hand techniques but why take anything but Boxing for hand techniques?

Agreed Silver wolf. You can pick and choose boxing gyms as well. So much more effective/proven.

Just wanted to get some opinions on the use of Wing Chun in MMA. I'm considering training in it and am impressed by what I see but I don't see any of the top guys fighting using Wing Chun so wanted to get some opinions of its strengths and weaknesses as an all around art...

Try searching for Wing Chun here... You`ll get lots of hits.

Wing Chun is a Kung Fu-style. Supposed to be very realistic. No groundwork at all... Not very realistic, IMO.

If you use it right then it can be effective. I am a student of Wing Chun under the William Cheung lineage, and also of Cheung Style Sport Kung-Fu which is a modified version of Wing Chun for competitive purposes.

Depending on where you live in Canada, maybe I can help you out.

Calling it useful shows your subjectivity AND your ignorance!

And there have been so many Wing Chun fighters with success in MMA or NHB. Proof is in the pudding.

There is a reason why you do not see any of the top guys using it, it is not an effective style. Look at the history of the sport. Decide for yourself which styles are the best.

muay thai doesn't have ne ground work either

IM sure WC has some good points too it but I belive there are more effective systems if MMA is your goal..Muay Thai,Kyoshukin Boxing, etc are pretty effective

I train in Wing Chun (Wing Tsun style) alongside Vale Tudo, I like it and enjoy it. We do train all distances, including clinch and ground. You aren't going to win UFC with it, but it has some good stuff in it.

The thing that you have to realise is that Wing Chun is for self defence, ie. it's supposed to give you the edge over some idiot on the street. You aren't going to take on some MMA champion who is conditioned to fuck; it's self defence for your average, lazy person, for people who don't want to spar full contact or get hurt learning to fight.

There are so many practical aspects of Wing Chun that are being utilized by mixed martial artist's these days. Consider this: How many fighters in MMA use Jeet Kune Do as part of
their training? Quite a few IMO. One of JKD's big influences was Wing Chun. Bruce Lee trained under legendary Wing Chun master Yip Man. JKD practitioners still to this day utilize Pak sao, Lop sao which are trapping techniques derived from WC. JKD differs from WC in it's follow-ups. Trapping is a very important aspect of grappling IMO and is just one of the many useful aspects of WC. Oh and sticky hands is a great WC drill.

newb, you're right, Remco already told that he used JKD in Golden Glory training

Originally posted by Footprints
Trapping is a very important aspect of grappling IMO and is just one of the many useful aspects of WC. Oh and sticky hands is a great WC drill.

i feel trapping is effective primarily on its most basic levels and is rarely effective against seasoned fighters. i am not saying it won't work against a seasoned fighter, but the implications of missing the trap in such a situation will be painful.

muay thai doesn't have ne ground work either

Yes, but at least MT's techniques actually work in real fights and has produced world class fighters time and time again. Unlike Wing Chun. Muay Thai was even used in wars in South East Asia for 100's of years.

For standup arts Muay Thai, San Da, Kyokushin, and Boxing are the best. It has been proven.

Back