Wing Chun?

I think Kyokushin fighters would benefit from training with an Olympic TKD coach to improve their kicks. I'm sure TKD fighters could improve their punches training with Kyokushin fighters. No style is useless. No style is perfect.

Ah hey buddy, Kyokushin guys have better and more useful kicks than TKDers.

k1 is geared for k1, not tkd. a tkd guy will need to adjust his game and practice some of the effective strategies other styles have used to win in k1. strategies are not the same as tactics, strategy is a plan and style of fighting, while tactics are actions.

Normal bs reply that I can destroy...

K-1 is geared to K-1 huh? Hmm... Kyokushin is geared to Kyokushin but still Kyokushin fighters like Andy Hug, Sam Greco, Francisco Filho, Muasashi, etc. all have done well in K-1. Kyokushin fighters like Peter Smit and Frank Lobman (sorry but you probably don't even know who those great fighters are but try to follow with me) have been able to compete at TOP level Muay Thai at their weights. Muay Thai is geared towards Muay Thai yet Alexey Ignashov, Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, Martin Holm have all done great in K-1. Explain why Muay Thai and Kyokushin fighters can adjust and switch to K-1 style and be great at it and not ONE TKDer has been able to? Hell, the TKDer from Korea , Kim, stepped into K-1 MAX and got KOed by Genki Sudo who is mostly a BJJer with a little Kyokushin Karate. Face it man, TKDers can't run with the hardcore guys.

In case you guys are really thick, he means they are using effective striking styles, not TKD or KF.

Originally posted by Silver Wolf

Normal bs reply that I can destroy...

K-1 is geared to K-1 huh? Hmm... Kyokushin is geared to Kyokushin but still Kyokushin fighters like Andy Hug, Sam Greco, Francisco Filho, Muasashi, etc. all have done well in K-1. Kyokushin fighters like Peter Smit and Frank Lobman

(sorry but you probably don't even know who those great fighters are but try to follow with me

this post is very condescending. especially that last bit in parenthesis. many of your posts seem to be very bull headed considering your training level, much like a child left to run amock with little supervision. are you home school? cause if you act like this in person you won't get very far. your attitude resembles that of a kid i used to know who felt he knew everything about dogs and their family tree and who the best trainers and competitors were. but he had very little real world experience, most of his work or knowledge he gained from sitting behind a computer analyzing this and that. no medeals, no certifications, no titles, no chance to show his stuff, he "bought" himself a "good titled" dog, instead of training one. all fluff.

first please read my post in it's entirety and you may gain some insight into what i said. as far as kyokushin their style of fighting and training is much closer to k1 than many other styles, that is why they have had more k1 fighters. their training already incorporates leg kicks and hard contact, what they lack is the head punches and experience of recieving such. that is why many have trained in boxing to incorporate them more, and to condition the chin and eyes to punching. Andy Hug and others did some boxing training to sharpen his hands and chin. many of todays kyokushin stylist are lacking in their skills primarily due to the sport aspect of many gyms training, and the absence of judo which many of them lack today. Who is holding the kyokushin banner in k1 now? yes i do know who those guys are.

as far as tkd yes they have some effective techniques and training strategies. would an olympic coach of tkd be able to help a k1 fighter? yes, they have much insight into training, conditioning, reaction time and other aspects that would be applicable. does tkd in its traditional form train one for k1 or close to it? no but with more work with boxing and ability to take a punch you could have a contender. first it always starts with the individual, it doesn't matter the weapon or training they have, if you start with a less than optimal person you will get less than optimal results. then it starts with the training and intensity, all meshed together with effective coaching, and teamwork. would your stubborness and egotism be accepted in many gyms? no. no matter if it was mt or boxing, they would light you up at any chance they got, many people love to hurt pseudo "tuff guys"

myself i am fortunate enough to train at an excellent gym. i have been to a few gyms in my time, this is by far the best. mt and boxing are the primary styles, while bjj and pancrase we also train. it is fairly known and my coach has ties to many organizations such as k1 and shooto. i say this not to elevate my status but to point out the reality of my training and competency.

isn't the so called brazilian kick a tkd style technique?

this post is very condescending. especially that last bit in parenthesis. many of your posts seem to be very bull headed considering your training level, much like a child left to run amock with little supervision. are you home school? cause if you act like this in person you won't get very far. your attitude resembles that of a kid i used to know who felt he knew everything about dogs and their family tree and who the best trainers and competitors were. but he had very little real world experience, most of his work or knowledge he gained from sitting behind a computer analyzing this and that. no medeals, no certifications, no titles, no chance to show his stuff, he "bought" himself a "good titled" dog, instead of training one. all fluff.

Ok, you done with the personal attacks? Can we get back on topic now. I'm not the topic, the styles of Wing Chun and TKD are.

would an olympic coach of tkd be able to help a k1 fighter? yes

False. They would not be able to help them at all. Hoost trains at Vos Gym, Aerts trains at Mejiro Gym (and he also trained at Chakuriki Gym), etc. Those guys get world class Muay Thai training.

no matter if it was mt or boxing, they would light you up at any chance they got, many people love to hurt pseudo "tuff guys"

Now you're acting like more of a fool than normal. NOWHERE do I claim to be some "tough guy". You see I bring facts to the table to back up what I say. You can't argue these facts so you take it to a personal level. That means your arugement dones't hold water so you try to discredit me personally. Not going to work.

isn't the so called brazilian kick a tkd style technique?

Maybe it is? The Brazilian Kyokushin team made it famous but the kick hardly ever works and is mainly done for the fans.

I think that an Olympic TKD coach could help a K1 fighter to the extent of what they wanted coaching on and whether or not that area of fighting is in the scope that the TKD coach can teach. However, that scope is pretty narrow as far TKD goes, but not non-existent. Let

It's not a widely known fact, but Cung Le has trained extensively in Tae Kwon Do, as have a lot of other San Shou and Muay Thai fighters. It works best if Muay Thai or kickboxing is the base style, and you complement that base with a little bit of TKD.

Peter Aerts and Bas Rutten have also trained in TKD before doing Muay Thai but look how they fight in the ring. NO TKD AT ALL. Just basic Thai style round kicks, Boxing punches, knees, clinch. Why don't they use TKD in their fights? Because it DOESN'T WORK. Bas himself even said TKD wasn't "real fighting" and that why he switched to Muay Thai.

TKD competition is not real fighting. Side kicks, backs kicks (rarely), spin kicks (rarely) are real fighting. So is conditioning.

Yes, TKD as a ring art sucks. We basically all know that. But that isn't completely due to the type of training they employ. It is mainly due to some of the techniques they employ and a bunch of the techniques they don't employ.

Originally posted by Doc
TKD competition is not real fighting.

Yes, TKD as a ring art sucks. .

Unless it is a TKD tournament, it has no effectiveness.

That is exactly what I am saying.

if you measure the pressure exerted per square inch of a tkd side kick or spinning back heel kick you will get a serious amount of force concentrated into a small surface area. when this is focused into attacks to the body i feel could give exceptional damage.

Originally posted by Doc
Mix in a few conditioning techniques from TKD with those to Muay Thai, and you have a pretty good training combination.
- So basically a TKD coach could help with new conditioning techniques and some other kicks to compliment the Muay Thai round kick and teep.

Good post
this is what i am saying. also if it could go one way, i feel it could also go the other.

you should consider being a fight jounralist or something similar considering you enjoy this so much and its always great to have knowledgable commentators instead of old football players. i really hate it when i am watching some fight and the interviewers or commentator is way off.

maybe you could be a reporter for the events in your area for some magazines or publications, or photographer or something.

Originally posted by peregrine

as far as tkd yes they have some effective techniques and training strategies. would an olympic coach of tkd be able to help a k1 fighter? yes, they have much insight into training, conditioning, reaction time and other aspects that would be applicable. does tkd in its traditional form train one for k1 or close to it? no but with more work with boxing and ability to take a punch you could have a contender.

um...a hi class TKDer lost to a JJer...hm.... before you're so-called helpful TKDers try to help a top class athlete, they must help themselves.

first it always starts with the individual, it doesn't matter the weapon or training they have, if you start with a less than optimal person you will get less than optimal results. then it starts with the training and intensity, all meshed together with effective coaching, and teamwork. would your stubborness and egotism be accepted in many gyms? no. no matter if it was mt or boxing, they would light you up at any chance they got, many people love to hurt pseudo "tuff guys"

yes. a common pattern we've learnt in MMA: even a kung fu guy, with only enough heart, can win a fight :rolleyes:

JKD - Thai champ? He looked like a beginner to me.

All Martial arts have their strengths, although some less than others ie Kung fu, TKD. Im sure though that EVERY martial art would have a technique or two that you could take and use effectively in a fight. Maybe not so much in a ring fight, but in the street, bar, etc.

Back