Winning FG-2900 Headgear Review

best headgear ive ever used. since i bought it i havent had one fat lip or bloody nose.... and i spar atleast 10-15 rounds a week

Im not doubting the quality of Winning products at all.
Ive recently ordered from them, and I know how good their products are.

But I need headgear with extra nose-protection. How is the nose protection on this?
The nose seems to be wide-open and prone to straight shots(Jabs and Crosses).

The FG 5000 is too expensive, so I was thinking about ordering the Cleto-Reyes E388 facebar headgear(please check it out at cletoreyes.com.mx or wbcme.co.uk). It has almost the exact same design. Im not sure how the quality of padding will match with Winning though.

I am afraid that this type of headgear(FG 5000 & E388) will limit my vision since Im training Muay Thai. Im afraid that the bar will interfere with seeing kicks(low kicks in particular, but all kicks generally).

What would you guys say?

the extra 40% percent padding helps out alot in the nose and mouth area... like i said before, i havent gotten 1 busted lip or sore nose ever since i started using this headgear

and the visibility is great. when you look at the headgear it looks like the visibility sucks but when its actually on the cheek protectors go out and really opens up the vision.

the only negative is that it hardly has any padding on the back of your head. ive only been hit twice in the back of the head so far but for anyone that boxes... they know those shots hurt like hell.

with the headgear being soft do you notice any issues when getting hit with elbows, knees, and or by someones shin?

I guess it makes sense that boxing headgear wouldn't be set up to protect against shots that are illegal.

with the headgear being soft do you notice any issues when getting hit with elbows, knees, and or by someones shin?

honestly.. ive only been doing nothing but boxing sparring. the leather is real flexible so i dont see it ripping from an elbow.

Ummm the nose protection sounds really good even on the FG-2900. I might just get that, since the nose protection was my biggest concern.

well i got my prototype, not i have to find an original to compare it with. already i noticed differences like non padding eardrum protector, and no quick snap chin strap, but that is fine wasn't going that direction.

i have a few questions,

Is the inner liner on the winning headgear smooth leather?
does the outside of the padding feel softer then the inside?

the leather is the same all around. i cant describe the feel of the leather it definitely feels synthetic ... its pretty flexible and thin.

the padding is the same all around. except for the forehead (from the end of your left eyebrow to the end of the right eyebrow... about 3 inches) and the mouth and nose area. thats what they mean by "40% more padding". you see on the first page.

and about taking kicks and knees... this head gear will hold up. the padding in headgear is what makes it special. kinda like a memory foam that is alittle bit softer than the masters headgear from ringside Fight Gear Masters Competition Headgear-www.Ringside.Com
but the foam retracts a hell of alot faster than that headgear.

btw... the masters headgear is pretty damn good itself. its hell of alot better than most headgears for that price

my bad. the outside layer if foam is more dense than the inside.

btw... the masters headgear is pretty damn good itself. its hell of alot better than most headgears for that price

Does that master's use a similar kind of foam? How is it compared to the FG2900 for the nose and overall protection?

Does that master's use a similar kind of foam? How is it compared to the FG2900 for the nose and overall protection?

they're both soft foams. but the winnings gives in alittle more (from the inside, the outside foam is alittle more hard) but the foam retracts alot more faster on the winnings. but feeling them both you can really tell the difference in the foam. of course the winnings headgear has a better overall foam.

when it comes to nose and mouth protection... the masters headgear has plenty of it. hell... this headgear is made for old men. like i said.. this is probably the best headgear out for that price range.

the inside foam on the winnings is what gives in... the outside is more stiff and doesnt really give in. kinda just flexes. its kinda like having a soft piece of cardboard (a nice foamy cardboard) over a pillow... the pillow will give in but the cardboard will just flex with it.... i know i know... bad example but that's the only thing i could think of

edit: the inside half is made of a softer foam and the outside part is made of a stiffer foam. exactly half and half. about a inch or padding total, except the forehead and the mouth/nose area.

the 2900 is the best headgear i have ever used....i have the fairtex with the chin and the thaisport and the 2900 is 1000xs better!!!

I've used the Top Ten and the Winnings FG-2900, and I found them quite comparable in terms of impact protection.

I sold the Top Ten and moved to the Winnings because I wanted something that protected my nose a little better. I also found the Winnings a bit more comfortable, but you can't go wrong with either one.

got my fg-2900 in today, it's crazy how well the thing fits. can't wait to spar with it tonight

just make sure not to have the back laces too tight. just alittle snug, tight but not too tight and have the top and chin strap on tight.

if you have it on too tight you're gonna get a headache

i got the 2L and i wore it just how it is right out of the box and it fits perfect, i seriously can't believe how comfortable this is, it's like it was tailored to fit my head perfectly. imo this is well worth the $200 + for it

Does anybody know of any pics of the yellow colour? I can't seem to track any down, even on the Japanese website...

Also, to those who own the white colour, how has it held up over time?

Its as white at it was the day i bought it. Dont remember seeing yellow color online that i can remember.

Back