With Canleo possibly getting suspended will boxing be able to have a PPV this year?

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
If Joshua beats Parker there could be a case made for a Joshua vs Wilder PPV, but that fight will more than likely take place in England and air on Showtime in the States. 2017 was a great year for PPV boxing, but I don't see anybody else with the ability to headline a PPV. GGG, Pacquiao, and Lomachenko can attract a crowd, but can't carry a PPV with only their name.

Canelo is probably getting suspended? According to who? Every indication is that the fight will go ahead as planned.

Canelo is probably getting suspended? According to who? Every indication is that the fight will go ahead as planned.

I just figured the fight would be canceled due to him pissing hot. Tbf I just read the headline and not the story. How can he fail a drug test and still fight? I know that most high level athletes are on something, but if this fight goes through it still sets a bad precedent.

I just figured the fight would be canceled due to him pissing hot. Tbf I just read the headline and not the story. How can he fail a drug test and still fight? I know that most high level athletes are on something, but if this fight goes through it still sets a bad precedent.

Because he pissed hot for clenbuterol at levels which strongly suggest that meat contamination was the culprit. There is precedent across sport for athletes to be found not at fault for testing positive for clenbuterol at very low levels if it can be plausibly shown that it was caused by meat contamination (it is common for clenbuterol to be given to live stock in certain countries, namely Mexico).

There is precedent in the UFC for USADA finding fighters to be not at fault when they pissed hot for clenbuterol:

https://ufc.usada.org/brandon-moreno-accepts-finding-no-fault/

This doesn't mean that this whole situation isn't problematic. It suggests, at best, that Canelo's team is unprofessional, but there is an ample amount of precedent for athletes with drastically less clout and money behind them more or less getting off after pissing hot for clenbuterol in very low amounts (which it has been confirmed that Canelo's tests showed). The fight isn't going to be cancelled (at least not for this test).

Because he pissed hot for clenbuterol at levels which strongly suggest that meat contamination was the culprit. There is precedent across sport for athletes to be found not at fault for testing positive for clenbuterol at very low levels if it can be plausibly shown that it was caused by meat contamination (it is common for clenbuterol to be given to live stock in certain countries, namely Mexico).

There is precedent in the UFC for USADA finding fighters to be not at fault when they pissed hot for clenbuterol:

This doesn't mean that this whole situation isn't problematic. It suggests, at best, that Canelo's team is unprofessional, but there is an ample amount of precedent for athletes with drastically less clout and money behind them more or less getting off after pissing hot for clenbuterol in very low amounts (which it has been confirmed that Canelo's tests showed). The fight isn't going to be cancelled (at least not for this test).

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Canelo isnt getting suspended.

We can all bitch and moan and complain and speculate about whether hes using Clen or not but the guys running the tests and the licenses are widely on board with the contamination sources.

Why would he get suspended?

lol

If Joshua beats Parker there could be a case made for a Joshua vs Wilder PPV, but that fight will more than likely take place in England and air on Showtime in the States. 2017 was a great year for PPV boxing, but I don't see anybody else with the ability to headline a PPV. GGG, Pacquiao, and Lomachenko can attract a crowd, but can't carry a PPV with only their name.
The UFC is dead bro

Well, the lower levels just as easily suggest that it was fading from his system and that there originally would have been a higher amount in his body at a previous time.

Big Canelo fans will believe in his meat, opponents of this excuse will believe that he was cheating and got caught at the tail end of it.

It could for sure go either way, but given clenbuterol's ability to improve oxygen rates and give mental and physical sharpness and thus help your cardio means that of all the peds, and Canelo's existing flaws, the shoe, unfortunately, fits.

As I said elsewhere, he's a mutlimillionaire with a trainer that is a butcher. They can get access to stuff that wouldn't jeopardize his rep if we are talking about food. Why would he jeopardize everything cuz he got a hankering for a burger?

We're better.

It's just that the OP has nothing to do with MMA. I'll admit that I follow it a little more closely than I do boxing, but I love both sports, but without Canelo I don't see any PPV fights in the future for 2018 unless Wilder Joshua can happen in Vegas.

I would like to see both sports do away with the PPV model, but it looks like the UFC is going to out sell boxing this year when it comes to PPV as they're able to put on a PPV card once a month.

I don't think it'll be suspended at this current time.

It will just cast a cloud over Clenelo if he wins. It's a topic that will be brought up regarding their second fight.

It's just that the OP has nothing to do with MMA. I'll admit that I follow it a little more closely than I do boxing, but I love both sports, but without Canelo I don't see any PPV fights in the future for 2018 unless Wilder Joshua can happen in Vegas.

I would like to see both sports do away with the PPV model, but it looks like the UFC is going to out sell boxing this year when it comes to PPV as they're able to put on a PPV card once a month.

Two words to elicit a response and I get a confession. My field training is finally paying off! I say random stuff at times. It's just that your thread title seems a bit hurried and could easily be perceived as a slight toward the game, hence some of the responses.

I don't think it'll be suspended at this current time.

It will just cast a cloud over Clenelo if he wins. It's a topic that will be brought up regarding their second fight.

It's not looking good

So whats your take on this fight now? Initially i thought the same, Canelo was getting cleared of it and fight was moving on, now he is "suspended" and hearing is set for April 18th, basically cancelled imo, GGG must be mad for losing on his biggest paycheck, in Conor's words "Red Panty Night".

Canelo is currently suspended officially so pretty much everyone was wrong haha.

Canelo isnt getting suspended.

We can all bitch and moan and complain and speculate about whether hes using Clen or not but the guys running the tests and the licenses are widely on board with the contamination sources.
Shut up you can.

Back