With the passing of Avicii, I have to ask: What is it exactly that DJs do?

haha thats a good comparison in one way, but not for the reason you think it is. If someone were to find a "lost Pollock" it could sell for millions of dollars, and everyone would rave about how good it is and pontificate its artistic details, but if suddenly it turned out someone else had painted the exact same piece only 10 years earlier, its worthless and noone would care. bottom line Art and Music as a commodity are not purely about the quality of the expression. At the end of the day its all subjective, so thats why I differentiated between his saying the music was "shitty" and not simple.
Yes, the context matters greatly obviously. If a band today released Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band it would barely get a mention in a music blog. But for its time it was revolutionary and steered the zeitgeist of the generation.

The DJ is essentially the host of the party.

His job is to make sure people are dancing and having a good time doing it. And he will employ several tactics, whether it's just playing songs, scratching, mixing songs, or grabbing the mic and shouting things to get the crowd fired up.

Kid_Acts_Like_a_DJ_with_the_Equipment_Unplugged_Funny_GIF.gif

DJ_fake_hover_hand.gif
Lol who's the douche bag in the second one?

I was going to underground raves in downtown Los Angeles dropping acid in 1994 when you were still taking spelling bees in class. I grew up on real Electronic music, The glory days of Trance, House, Drum and Bass Jungle. I've seen the best DJ's from London to Tokyo....

LOL at hooking up with some hot chicks.... Like i said i was doing that shit in high school. Ecstasy wasn't even popular yet when i was dropping that shit. Bottom Line is I know what good music and dj;'s are. These party dj hipster knob turning fucks or making commercial euro trash are a disgrace and embarrassing to real European and Stateside producers of Electronic music.
Lol at saying you did everything before it was cool and then calling someone else a hipster.

1564670.jpg

ok, if it's that simple why dont you go do it? These guys make more in one gig than you do all year.
How tf is Pauly D making 11 million?

How is he making almost as much as Deadmau5 lol

Wow just found out he died. Rip. He was a talented artist despite what you think these djs do. I think he sings his songs but idk

No dude. I had no idea who this guy was, so I Googled and he had a "pop" hit with some singing in the song. I said the singing is pretty good. Then I looked into it... he didn't sing. He hired a singer and he and someone else came up with the song on guitar. He never mentions the singer in the credits either. That's pretty lame.

"In an interview with the Daily Star, Avicii, who had previously labelled "Wake Me Up!" as "a fun experiment" during an exclusive chat with MTV UK,[9] said: "I had a demo with Mac Davis singing, the guy who wrote some songs that were covered by Elvis Presley, but I needed another singer to do the parts. At the same time I was tipped off about doing another track with Aloe Blacc, and I started working on that track. When I was with Mike Einziger from Incubus, we came up with the chord progression and the melody for 'Wake Me Up!' but [with] no real lyrics. None of us [could] sing and we really needed to get that demo down and the only person I knew that lived in LA was Aloe, so I called him and he was free. Lyrics come really easy to him so the two of us wrote them in a couple of hours and we finished the track."[2][10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Me_Up_(Avicii_song)

RIP though... too young.

Some make their own music. Some do some live stuff on their tunes. Other djs just play other artists tunes.

They're mixers, not musicians. It's a way for untalented people to "make" music and bang bro.

Not true. You got many different types Some djs are very good artists who make their own music

They create the mood. A track is like a note on a piano and they use these tracks to tell a story, to create a mood on the dance floor.

From a technical point of view these videos can be interesting:

The Worst is the that Dj Aoki guy or whatever. Jesus fucking christ stupid drugged out techno hipsters making that shmuck a millionare.

Also lol at stupid festivals of hipsters like Coachella. Fake fucks.
Aoki is a can

The other weekend they had a 2 person "band" in the bar I was at.
One dude played keyboard, sax, and flute. The other guy was a DJ. The DJ dude was turning knobs and and pushing shit the entire time and it had literally zero percieveable effect on the music. I was sitting like 10 feet away and was watching the whole time. He even stepped away for about 2 minutes and nothing changed.

His previous job was working for Dr. Evil as the henchmen that got called out for arbitrarily pushing buttons.

Derrick Carter
Jeff Mills
Ritchie Hawtin

Check those guys out for live mixing, track selection, pacing, and reading an audience.

Like anything, there are good and shit tradespeople.

They waive their hands around while wearing headphones, pretending they're actually doing something. This is usually followed by high amounts of MDMA, and hooking up with herpe riddled women.

Hey leave herpes out of this!

They sometimes make really good music. Avicii has some good ones.

Back