With the passing of Avicii, I have to ask: What is it exactly that DJs do?

I am not a fan, but they connect things. Funny because Steve Jobs was asked this. In short, they synthesize.

Steve Wozniak: What do you do? You're not an engineer. You're not a designer. You can't put a hammer to a nail. I built the circuit board! The graphical interface was stolen! So how come ten times in a day I read Steve Jobs is a genius? What do you do?

Steve Jobs: Musicians play their instruments. I play the orchestra.

What he did, Woz, was put all those things together. Who saw the potential in Wozniak's creation? Who then saw the Xerox GUI? And who connected them? Not you, Woz.

“Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.”

Steve Jobs

Last edited:
I am not a fan, but they connect things. Funny because Steve Jobs was asked this. In short, they synthesize.

Steve Wozniak: What do you do? You're not an engineer. You're not a designer. You can't put a hammer to a nail. I built the circuit board! The graphical interface was stolen! So how come ten times in a day I read Steve Jobs is a genius? What do you do?

Steve Jobs: Musicians play their instruments. I play the orchestra.

What he did, Woz, was put all those things together. Who saw the potential in Wozniak's creation? Who then saw the Xerox GUI? And who connected them? Not you, Woz.

“Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.”

Steve Jobs
not sure I fully agree with that quote. Is a painter ''just connecting things"? Or a guitarist...

not sure I fully agree with that quote. Is a painter ''just connecting things"? Or a guitarist...

Yes. Connecting notes and lyrics. Arranging. Conducting. I am talking meta creators. In production specifically. What does Dr Dre do? What does Eminem do? They are DJs/producers and rappers. What did George Martin do? The Beatles would sound like shit without him. So would Katy Perry and everyone else. lol. The magic is not in the people but in the production.

Steve Jobs conducted enough people to make Apple the biggest company on Earth. You think Apple being a cult was accident? Jobs planned that. lol.

Yes. Connecting notes and lyrics. Arranging. Conducting. I am talking meta creators. In production specifically. What does Dr Dre do? What does Eminem do? They are DJs/producers and rappers. What did George Martin do? The Beatles would sound like shit without him. So would Katy Perry and everyone else. lol. The magic is not in the people but in the production.
Uhm, ok. You're just talking music here. But how does this apply to painting for example? Are you DJ Khaled by the way?

I think you're mistaking inspiration with creativity @JonesBones

Steve Jobs had inspiration. Inspiration to put all those people togheter - or ''link the dots'' how you say. But the guys CREATING the damn phone had creativity

Uhm, ok. You're just talking music here. But how does this apply to painting for example? Are you DJ Khaled by the way?

Jobs thought every computer should be a painting. It is a work of art. And Da Vinci said same exact things as Jobs. You need to experience things and connect them. What experiences did Da Vinci had that made him a genius? I don't know. They are looking at the same things everyone else is.

“They will say that I, having no literary skill, cannot properly express that which I desire to treat of, but they do not know that my subjects are to be dealt with by experience rather than by words. And [experience] has been the mistress of those who wrote well. And so, as mistress, I will cite her in all cases. Though I may not, like them, be able to quote other authors, I shall rely on that which is much greater and more worthy: on experience, the mistress of their masters.”
Leonardo da Vinci

Da Vinci also things experience is required for art. What is experience? Something we all share. Just like we all share all of music and can make a mix out of it.

Scientists are DJs. You could say Einstein sampled Max Planck for example. Used his work to connect it to something bigger. He was using everybody's records. Same with Darwin and nearly everyone else. You can go back and say some other guy first thought of it. Doesn't matter. They synthesized it and did the most with it. Darwin was brilliant at that. He took the observations and thoughts of so many people.

Out of all of Biology, Darwin is able to pick to help with his theory. And he did. He did his homework and connected things.

Jobs thought every computer should be a painting. It is a work of art. And Da Vinci said same exact things as Jobs. You need to experience things and connect them. What experiences did Da Vinci had that made him a genius? I don't know. They are looking at the same things everyone else is.

“They will say that I, having no literary skill, cannot properly express that which I desire to treat of, but they do not know that my subjects are to be dealt with by experience rather than by words. And [experience] has been the mistress of those who wrote well. And so, as mistress, I will cite her in all cases. Though I may not, like them, be able to quote other authors, I shall rely on that which is much greater and more worthy: on experience, the mistress of their masters.”
Leonardo da Vinci

Da Vinci also things experience is required for art. What is experience? Something we all share. Just like we all share all of music and can make a mix out of it.
But Da Vinci actually had skill to create? Unlike Steve Jobs? Idk why you're so fascinated with the guy. You think the guys working for him didn't have creativity? Should they not get credit for creating the iPhone?

giphy.gif

I wish I knew what Daft Punk was doing but god damn it looks cool.

Miming moves over a live PA.

They're mixers, not musicians. It's a way for untalented people to "make" music and bang bro.

Mixing is untalented?

Shit better tell the entertainment industry.

I know a few people who get paid solid money to mix and sweeten sound on live tv shows.

It requires talent and skill but it's one of those jobs where if you did it right no one noticed you were there.

If you mess up, everyone is screaming to find the sound guy and kill him.

Seriously.

I have no idea what goes into performing electronic music, especially live.

Can someone educate me?

Are DJs actual musicians?

Radio jockeys are DJs, people who do the music at weddings that aren't live band, and DJs. The people that play the music at strip clubs are DJs too. They also introduce the dancers.

that's actually an old list. This is the list for 2017:
https://www.highsnobiety.com/2017/08/09/highest-paid-dj-2017-calvin-harris/
and the numbers are mindboggling.

1. Calvin Harris ($48.5m)
2. Tiesto ($39m)
3. The Chainsmokers ($38m)
4. Skrillex ($30m)
5. Steve Aoki ($29.5m)
6. Diplo ($28.5m)
7. David Guetta ($25m)
8. Marshmello ($21m)
9. Martin Garrix ($19.5m)
10. Zedd ($19m)

That is what they made in 2017 alone.

no axwell or like mike and dmitri vegas wow. then again more mainstream have chainsmokers and harris less edm etc.

Y’ever pushed play, like on a CD player or somethin’?

That.

Y’ever pushed play, like on a CD player or somethin’?

That.
you saw those salaries I posted, right? If all you had to do is hit play, then surely you can make a few million doing it too?

Steve Jobs conducted enough people to make Apple the biggest company on Earth. You think Apple being a cult was accident? Jobs planned that. lol.
The beatles early music, which made them popular, was not production based music and even when it was George wasnt the only one involved in the beatles sound. Early beatles was performance based music with little frills here and there. Production is great but without the basic musical forms of chords,melody etc it is simply ornamentation. If the people didnt matter then George Martin could of made the Troggs the most critically acclaimed band of the 60s, yeah that never would of happened for a reason.

In regards to that Jobs quote, if he was the conductor, who is the composer?

Last edited:
Back