Womesn flyweight is developing quickly as a weight class

like okay the division has existed for about 1 year. We now have recognizable names, a future champ with enough skills to almost beat a monster in nunes, who also had a significant weight advantage (Imagine conor beating tyron). We have JJ going to move up since she wont get a crack at the straweight strap. You got Andrade, who could go up. You've got new entrants like rose clark climbing the rankings. In 1 year, flyweight is growing fast

like okay the division has existed for about 1 year. We now have recognizable names, a future champ with enough skills to almost beat a monster in nunes, who also had a significant weight advantage (Imagine conor beating tyron). We have JJ going to move up since she wont get a crack at the straweight strap. You got Andrade, who could go up. You've got new entrants like rose clark climbing the rankings. In 1 year, flyweight is growing fast

Both won't go up. Andrade is title contender as WSW. Joanna won't move up, because it looks like she fixed issues with weight cutting, and she won't get a crack at flyweight strap without some kind of redemption at WSW, tbh she may retire after her next fight. She planned to retire after UFC 223, but probably want to end with win.
Nunes is not monster, she is avarage fighter in shallow division. Shevchenko was comepting as bantamweight most of her kickboxing career, not cutting weight for mma it's her choice. Looks like her bigger and older sister learned lesson and will cut to 125 lbs.

Well I'm not. Can't ingore fact she lost twice to current champion and never hold belt.

By your logic every top contender besides the current champ is a gatekeeper then. Nobody else has beaten her at BW and she has left the division so she cannot be a gatekeeper to anything.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class/Women_Flyweight

Look at who is involved on the roster, take note of the champ and who she beat to establish the belt in this newly minted stellar division.

The fighters in this division are recognizable yes, because I had to sit through some "interesting" fights right in the middle of a PPV while the UFC were trying to establish WMMA, so don't pretend that suddenly moving a bunch of people to a new division makes them the premier division in the UFC. It'll be relatively competitive though because each of them are on roughly the same skill level, but it doesn't mean that their skill set will magically blossom overnight or anything.

I have looked at who the champ beat. She beat several high ranked fighters and two former Invicta champs.

Because you are unfamiliar with the class does not mean it lacks talent. Furthermore, I never said that it was the premier division in the UFC. Kindly do not lie about what I post. If you cannot respond to what I write with a modicum of intellectual integrity, do not respond at all.

By your logic every top contender besides the current champ is a gatekeeper then. Nobody else has beaten her at BW and she has left the division so she cannot be a gatekeeper to anything.
By my logic she is GATEKEEPER, not contender at 135 lbs and it's logical, no chance for third fight against Nunes. She achieved nothing as WBW. I like these kind of semantics like "nobody else has beaten her at BW" like she somehow cleared this division lol.

Developing...maybe. But it still has a loooooonnnngggg way to go. I would bet 99 percent of the American public could not tell you who the champ of that division is. I personally might get it wrong if I had to guess without looking it up.

Shevchenko is definition of gatekeeper as 135 lbser, you can't come closer than her.

She’s a legit contender who lost 2 extremely close fights to the champ.

It's sandwiched between the only two divisions that have oversized and undersized girls in them respectively. Sure 125 may not be empty but it's taking the talent away from the other divisions that are already pretty shallow.

Alternatively, forcing talented fighters fight opponents that they are undersized against is not a very good use of those talented fighters.

It's sandwiched between the only two divisions that have oversized and undersized girls in them respectively. Sure 125 may not be empty but it's taking the talent away from the other divisions that are already pretty shallow.
The only 115 girls that have moved are PVZ, and bec who was cut because she's as bad at 125 as she was at 115. You do have a point it took alot of undersized 135ers, but it's also brought in some solid new girls with Nicco, Eubanks, JRC, Maia, and Lee.

The only 115 girls that have moved are PVZ, and bec who was cut because she's as bad at 125 as she was at 115. You do have a point it took alot of undersized 135ers, but it's also brought in some solid new girls with Nicco, Eubanks, JRC, Maia, and Lee.

Nice to see someone giving Nicco credit.

Failed strawweights + failed bantamweights = womens flyweight
If fighters have had poor win/loss records due to being undersized (forced to fight in the wrong division because the right division isn't available), or due to having to cut weight more than is healthy (forced to fight in the wrong division because the right division isn't available), then thinking of those poor records as proper indications of them being inferior fighters is rather silly.

where are the pics?
Flyweight Jessica Rose-Clark ("Jessy Jess") at UFC Singapore.
DgSAuoLUcAA-VcE.jpg

~

Flyweight Barb Honchak will fight at the TUF 27 Finale
DesoqkXX4Ac_c3x.jpg

~

Flyweights Andrea Lee and Veronica Macedo fought at UFC Fight Night 129
andrea-lee-ufc-fight-night-129-4.jpg

Can't say someone has moved divisions who hasn't booked a fight in it since the division started.

Calderwood hasn't booked any fight in any division since the flyweight division started, but when she fought Calvillo (her most recent fight) she said she was upset that the UFC booked that strawweight fight for her and then the UFC announced the opening of the flyweight division very shortly after that booking (Calderwood clearly indicating that she wants to be booked at flyweight not strawweight). And she has actually already fought at 125 lbs in the UFC (when she defeated Letourneau). Is there really any doubt that Calderwood will fight her next fight as a flyweight?

Last edited:
She’s a legit contender who lost 2 extremely close fights to the champ.
Extremly close fight, first one 29-27, second one 5 rounds of staring contest, yeah extremly.

I have looked at who the champ beat. She beat several high ranked fighters and two former Invicta champs.

Because you are unfamiliar with the class does not mean it lacks talent. Furthermore, I never said that it was the premier division in the UFC. Kindly do not lie about what I post. If you cannot respond to what I write with a modicum of intellectual integrity, do not respond at all.

Oh hey, sorry I just saw your post today because I don't take things as seriously as you do apparently. You do realize that some people are going to have an opinion that is going to differ from others and just because they do, it doesn't give you the right to get all bent out of shape and personal about it. Stating that's it's the "premier" division is called sarcastic exaggeration, which you obviously didn't pick up on, not trying to rattle you so calm down.

I'm not the one making assumptions about other people that I really know nothing about, I just wanted to point out that the division champ beat "The Happy Warrior", who isn't exactly the most well rounded or talented fighter in the division to establish the title. I just believe that the division needs time to fill out and welcome new talent, I'm just not impressed with it yet. Which is my opinion, which people are allowed to have.

FURTHERMORE...If you read my previous post I did actually state that I was familiar with the fighters in the new division, so do not lie about what I post. If you cannot respond to what I write with a modicum of intellectual integrity, do not respond at all...see what I did there?

Last edited:
Back