Wonderboy wants oblique kicks banned - blames them for MCL Tear

I really don't think MMA would miss them if they're gone. It's a dirty move.

If you like dirty moves and wanna bring up that weak, tired "why don't we ban punches, too?"
Why don't we unban groin strikes and headbutts? Those are strikes.
Let's fucking do it. Headbutts into head position for wrestlers would he killer.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/...stephen-thompson-mcl-injury-darren-till-fight

648115504.jpg.0.jpg

You know I tore my MCL in the fight with Till. We did an MRI and thankfully nothing else was damaged. No surgery is required for this injury but I have to give it at least eight weeks to heal properly before I can get back to training.

I honestly think that strike should be made illegal. It could end somebody’s career. You know Robert Whittaker had to have ACL surgery following his first fight with Yoel Romero due to that particular strike. And as you could see, Robert Whittaker made sure to beat Yoel Romero to the punch in their second fight. He threw a lot more than he did this time around. It is just a very dangerous technique. I think a lot of fighters throw that strike but sometimes it is for different reasons.

When I fought Jorge Masvidal he used that same side kick to the knee. But when Jorge threw it, he was doing so just to keep me away. Not in an attempt to injure my knee. But when I was in the cage fighting Till it felt like ok this guy is trying to break my leg. It was like he had intentions of ripping everything out in my knee. That’s how I felt anyway. Like this dude is really trying to injure me in here. I think it an ugly strike and that it should be made illegal.

ThompsonMandelSherdog.jpg
Those kicks, and just about any other blow that’s thrown in that octagon is thrown with bad intentions.

I agree the kick is very damaging and at the least, the commissions should look into it.

I'm really surprised at all of the cretins in here that don't understand what makes this move objectionable. Go find an underground fight club if you want to see someone's body destroyed. This is a sport.

I really don't think MMA would miss them if they're gone. It's a dirty move.

If you like dirty moves and wanna bring up that weak, tired "why don't we ban punches, too?"
Why don't we unban groin strikes and headbutts? Those are strikes.

I would not mind a good groin strike now and then.. It would spice up the fights a bit.

Not comparable. You can't hit the groin, or headbutt in ANY regard. You can kick the leg in a multitude of ways. But just not this one way? Like I get it, they're damaging and some people don't like them. But this argument dosen't cover the gap as to why they plausibly should be.
Is this kick legal if it was aimed at the knee?

giphy.gif

Basically launching into the air and descending onto your opponent’s knee. Is that legal?

He has a point. It's not like you can tap prior to the knee kick flipping your knee backwards. Kinda makes me think of Road House had either Dalton or his archnemesis do his trademark eagle claw tear out the throat finishing move. He wins, but his opponent doesn't survive to fight again.

He has a point. It's not like you can tap prior to the knee kick flipping your knee backwards. Kinda makes me think of Road House had either Dalton or his archnemesis do his trademark eagle claw tear out the throat finishing move. He wins, but his opponent doesn't survive to fight again.
It's not like any other strike lets you tap either.

I'm really surprised at all of the cretins in here that don't understand what makes this move objectionable. Go find an underground fight club if you want to see someone's body destroyed. This is a sport.
We don't need to. We can just go back and watch Romero v.s. Whitaker 2, Edgar v.s. Maynard 2, Henderson v.s. Shogun 1, Lawler v.s. Condit, Hunt v.s. Bigfoot 1, Jones v.s. Gustafsson, . . . .

You don't get it. Knee injuries can be career ending.
Getting hit in the head is part of mma.

Getting hit in the head can be life threatening unlike knee injuries. You lack reason.

It's not like any other strike lets you tap either.
You'll probably survive to fight another day though. I suppose Miesha survived getting her elbow bent backwards vs. Ronda, but she doesn't use her arms for walking unless she walks on her hands.

It should be banned if it's very easy to do career-ending or fight-ending damage. It's the same reason that groin strikes, eye pokes, eye gouging, small joint manipulation, strikes to the back of the head/spine, kicks/knees to downed opponents, throat strikes, head-butting, biting, fish-hooking, hair pulling, downward elbows, etc. are all banned. These can all be "effective" techniques, and some of them might even require skill to pull off.

The fact that something is "effective" is no reason to not ban it. In fact, it's the opposite: we ban things when we think they are *too* effective or *unfairly* effective. There's a balance that all reasonable fans accept between allowing effective tactics and prohibiting dangerous or cheap tactics. Side-kicks to the knee can very well fall into the group of tactics that ought to be prohibited. This idea supported by most people in this thread which is "it's effective, so we shouldn't ban it" or "it's always been allowed, so we should allow it" or "that's fighting bro, sometimes damage happens" or "learn to counter the tactic" is just thoughtless, lazy, unrealistic and incompatible with the way reasonable fans expect the organization to operate.

I'm my opinion they should be in the same category as eye pokes. Even though it's not common, an eye poke can have lasting effect to someones vision. The oblique kick has the potential to ruin a fighters career, some people are never the same after an ACL surgery. On top of everything, the kick is retarded anyway.

[QUOTE="Troy Nelson, post: 142217271, member: 384177"]It should be banned if it's very easy to do career-ending or fight-ending damage. It's the same reason that groin strikes, eye pokes, eye gouging, small joint manipulation, strikes to the back of the head/spine, kicks/knees to downed opponents, throat strikes, head-butting, biting, fish-hooking, hair pulling, downward elbows, etc. are all banned. These can all be "effective" techniques, and some of them might even require skill to pull off.

The fact that something is "effective" is no reason to not ban it. In fact, it's the opposite: we ban things when we think they are *too* effective or *unfairly* effective. There's a balance that all reasonable fans accept between allowing effective tactics and prohibiting dangerous or cheap tactics. Side-kicks to the knee can very well fall into the group of tactics that ought to be prohibited. This idea supported by most people in this thread which is "it's effective, so we shouldn't ban it" or "it's always been allowed, so we should allow it" or "that's fighting bro, sometimes damage happens" or "learn to counter the tactic" is just thoughtless, lazy, unrealistic and incompatible with the way reasonable fans expect the organization to operate.[/QUOTE]

How many fights has ended by oblique kicks? How many fighters have had their career ended by that kick?

They should be banned. Getting hit in the head is an assumed risk with all combat sports, and all the precautions in the world are there to stop you from taking excessive head trauma (no hits to back of head, ref stops fight if you're getting too hurt, keep your hands up by default, etc). Kicks to the knee can permanently injure you at any moment though without warning and end your career, and there's no tapping out to prevent it like with a kneebar. There's also no skull protecting your knee like there is for head shots, your knee is just holding the top and bottom half of your leg together by ligaments and bone, its easy to injure by hyperextending it when its supporting your body weight.

It's a dirty tactic to try to injure someone's knee and compromise their life and career, its too effective for what is basically a jab with the leg, the move absolutely can and will be banned in the future after more high profile injuries happen, i.e. lets see if they don't ban it if someone tears Conor's MCL with oblique kicks.

"This strike was effective against me in a fight I lost. They should ban it." - Wonderboy

Back