Wonderboys inability to win close decisions

Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif

I'm prettttty sure the guy he just cracked has a granite chin.

Run into a fist blindly and you'll end up like that no matter who. <Varys01>

How about Full contact champ against other strikers? When Machida faced high level striker like sam greco, he took them down
Oh, stop it. Lyoto beat many good strikers in his career such as Ace, Shogun (controversial but still), Thiago Silva, Belfort, prime Sokoudjou, Mousasi..

Who are the strikers Thompson beat? Undersized Masvidal, green and dehydrated Whittaker, Cote (good win), Burrell (meh) and that's about it. The rest were wrestlers. Lost to the only great striker he fought (Till). Also got beat up badly by a MT guy (Brown).
Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif

I'm prettttty sure the guy he just cracked has a granite chin.
Yeah and then didn't finished him, won a 29-28 boring decision. That fight sucked, as most of WB fights.

Oh, stop it. Lyoto beat many good strikers in his career such as Ace, Shogun (controversial but still), Thiago Silva, Belfort, prime Sokoudjou, Mousasi..

Who are the strikers Thompson beat? Undersized Masvidal, green and dehydrated Whittaker, Cote (good win), Burrell (meh) and that's about it. The rest were wrestlers. Lost to the only great striker he fought (Till). Also got beat up badly by a MT guy (Brown).
Yeah and then didn't finished him, won a 29-28 boring decision. That fight sucked, as most of WB fights.

Fff sa I am talking about his carrier as a world champion Kickboxer. You know when u face actual strikers, and not mma guys??

Fff sa I am talking about his carrier as a world champion Kickboxer. You know when u face actual strikers, and not mma guys??
So why the fuck did you bring up a MMA fight (Machida-Greco) to the debate?

And Thompson never fought a top striker, he's not a former world champion in kickboxing either. You're just another guy that is drunk with the Zuffa kool-aid.

Last edited:
So why the fuck did you bring up a MMA fight (Machida-Greco) to the debate?

And Thompson never fought a top striker, he's not a former world champion in kickboxing either. You're just another guy that is drunk with the Zuffa kool-aid.

Because Greco is one of the few high level strikers he faced in MMA, and he took him down.

MEDIA SCORES Sean Ross Sapp
Fightful.com 48-47 Till Paul Fontaine
WrestlingObserver.com 48-47 Till Jed Meshew
MMAFighting.com 48-47 Till Chris Nelson

Sherdog.com 48-49 Thompson Dominik Durniat
Polsat Sport 47-48 Thompson Alexander K. Lee
MMAFighting.com 47-48 Thompson
MMAJunkie.com
47-48 Thompson
MMAMania.com
47-48 Thompson Brian Knapp
Sherdog.com 47-48 Thompson Dayne Fox
BloodyElbow.com 47-48 Thompson Drake Riggs
BJPenn.com 47-48 Thompson Phil Murphy
ESPN 47-48 Thompson Matthew Wells
FanSided.com 47-48 Thompson José Youngs
FanSided.com 47-48 Thompson Tristen Critchfield
Sherdog.com 47-49 Thompson Tim Burke
BloodyElbow.com 46-49 Thompson Chris Connor
The Fight City 46-49 Thompson Nick Baldwin
BloodyElbow.com 46-49 Thompson Nathan McCarter
BleacherReport.com 46-49 Thompson Rob Tatum
CombatPress.com 46-49 Thompson Ryan Frederick
WrestlingObserver.com 46-49 Thompson Kendrick Johnson
The Ring 46-49 Thompson
SevereMMA.com
46-49 Thompson Steve Duncan
mma.uno 46-49 Thompson
MMABrasil.com.br
46-49 Thompson

He is not in his prime. He's 35 for cryin out loud
LOL Thompson was like 29 or 30 years old
Because Greco is one of the few high level strikers he faced in MMA, and he took him down.
Yeah Machida is a complete fighter ofc he took the guy with no submission defense down.
Greco is nothing special btw, he lost to most top guys he fought, personally i feel like the Mousasi win is much better, and i mentioned other good wins too. Some guys that Machida didn't took him down and beat them with ease on the feet. Your boy WB on the other hand struggled badly with Cote, lost to Till and Brown (on his athletic prime) and even Burrell gave him problems.

He fought Rich in...2003, frail old Vitor in 2018? LMAO at prime Sokoudjou and Thiago Silva. Fucking Rory looks like GGG compared to those bums. So Shogun is his only good win vs a striker and he got KTFO in the rematch. It's easy to poke holes in anyones resume.

Some real concentrated hate for WB itt. I don't get it.

Nobody outside of point fighting likes point fighting, including the judges.

He fought Rich in...2003, frail old Vitor in 2018? LMAO at prime Sokoudjou and Thiago Silva. Fucking Rory looks like GGG compared to those bums. So Shogun is his only good win vs a striker and he got KTFO in the rematch. It's easy to poke holes in anyones resume.
Rich had a striking background so how the fight being in 2003 makes Machida's win worse? Rich was 14-0 going to the fight, 4 years of MMA training, while Machida was fighting for like 8 or 9 months, had only 2 pro MMA fights. If anything, makes it even more impressive.
Prime Sokoudjou and Thiago Silva were bad motherfuckers and much more dangerous on the feet than any1 Thompson fought. Rory? LOL his hands are weak asf compared to Thiago's, without wrestling he would be lost against Daley and Douglas for example.

No, he's not. Wonderboy will never be a champion. Machida is a former UFC champion and also a UFC Challenger in other weight class. Machida is a legend and will be missed by when he's gone. Wonderboy is a boring full of shit overrated fighter, had as many great moments as boring fights.

It takes two to tango. Machida's fights with Henderson or Jackson weren't exactly fireworks. Sadly, some of the more exciting Machida fights were fights in which his opponent was able to clobber him; surely it isn't a shortcoming of Thompson's that nobody has been able to do that to him.

No he's not....Machida was a world champion...unlike wonderboy
  • 1999 I.S.K.A Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.S.K.A Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F South East Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Middleweight Champion
  • 2000 P.K.C National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2000 U.S.A.K.B.F North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 I.K.F National Amateur Tournament Light Heavyweight Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2002 I.K.F North American Amateur Tournament Light Cruiserweight Champion
  • 2001 P.K.C National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
  • 2001 U.S.A.K.B.F Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2001 W.P.K.A Light Heavyweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.K.F Light Cruiserweight Amateur World Champion
  • 2003 I.A.K.S.A Cruiserweight World Champion
  • 2005 W.A.K.O Cruiserweight World Champion

The issue seems to be that his counterstriking, point based style only works with regards to judges scorecards when he's truly more advanced that the other guy in the octagon. When it gets reasonable close he can't tilt the decision in his favor through octagon control and dictating the pace of the fight while he's trying to outstrike him.

Back