Woodley Upset He's Not a Draw Like GSP: "I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges"

Who are you a fan of?

• Total voters
Waitaminute....Did he just call himself "explosive"?

When a white guy said that he claimed racism though, am i wrong?

He may be more ‘gifted’ than GSP, but he damn sure hasn’t proven to be anything more than a big right hand. Oh, and he’s well spoken..

Being more gifted doesn't mean anything when GSP's fight IQ is much higher. Woodley has not proven he can do what GSP did. GSP would take a guys strength and use it against them to beat them. Woodley just stays on the outside getting cheap points to desperately hold the title.

In an age where title reigns are becoming more defined by the money fights a champion pursues than the traditional meritocracy associated with the UFC, Tyron Woodley is something of a throwback. Since winning the welterweight strap at UFC 201 last July, Woodley has defended the belt three times - each time against the top-ranked contender. Which isn’t to say that Woodley hasn’t tried to chase down money fights. Just hours after winning the title Woodley began calling out Georges St-Pierre, Conor McGregor, and Nick Diaz but those fights have so far eluded Woodley, particularly the most appealing one of them, St-Pierre.

. . .

Woodley has been vocal that St-Pierre is moving to middleweight for fear of him embarrassing the GOAT, and on the most recent edition of his The Morning Wood Show podcast, the champ doubled down on his assertions, saying that St-Pierre’s skills are outmoded in the new welterweight order and that he has passed the Canadian already as far as his abilities.

“Some guys have medium speed, medium power, good wrestling, good attacks. I’ve been blessed to have maximum speed, maximum explosion, maximum power, and then [Din Thomas] and Duke [Roufus] have helped me add the other stuff, economy of motion, knowing when to explode, when not to explode, how to fight five rounds. . .

“They don’t want them problems, man. He had a chance to fight me and he said no. . .

“Georges has been away for three years, almost four. By the time he gets in there, it’s gonna be just a few days shy of four years so the sport has caught up. Whatever advantage he had, whatever degree of separation he created by being such a great martial artist, people have played catchup. I think I’ve surpassed him. He was a person I looked up to but skill for skill, mindset, explosion, power, wrestling ability, timing, strategy, all those things, I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges and that’s why I want to go out there to fight him and prove it.”

. . .

But if St-Pierre wins, a McGregor call out becomes odd as the most obvious weight for that fight to happen at would be 170 pounds since McGregor has fought there twice before, but welterweight is a division currently lorded over by Woodley. The welterweight champion says doing that fight in his division while he is reigning would be disrespectful to his title.

“No, that’s a disrespect to me. . .

“[St-Pierre] probably [will call out McGregor], but he’s gonna have to be honest with the fans and say, ‘I’m here for money.” And that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. . . Just know I’m gonna call him out on that. Win, lose, or draw, I’m gonna want to fight the winner of that fight, Bisping or Georges. Then I’m going to want to come back and see all this fresh new talent in the welterweight division and I’m gonna want to show them a lesson too.”

. . .

So yet again Woodley appears to be sitting on the outside staring in as Georges St-Pierre lines up big money fight after big money fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...rre-conor-mcgregor-bout-is-a-disrespect-to-me

Fuck you and your last two fights. You couldnt now sell pussy in a port whorehouse hosting the 7th Fleet.

why isn't there a both option in the poll? I used to bash GSP a bunch for being safe or whatever. I've bashed Woodley for the same. But, to be fair, both are exceptional MMA fighters. Why can't you be a fan of both?

Because I'd choppy choppy my dick instead of watching him 'fight' Wonderboy again.

Being more gifted doesn't mean anything when GSP's fight IQ is much higher. Woodley has not proven he can do what GSP did. GSP would take a guys strength and use it against them to beat them. Woodley just stays on the outside getting cheap points to desperately hold the title.

Yet GSP is running from that fight. He finally has someone who could challenge him but he will fight MW now, a division he was terrified when Anderson was champ. He cannot dry hump TW. He cannot stand and bang with him. We know he wants none of that fight.

In an age where title reigns are becoming more defined by the money fights a champion pursues than the traditional meritocracy associated with the UFC, Tyron Woodley is something of a throwback. Since winning the welterweight strap at UFC 201 last July, Woodley has defended the belt three times - each time against the top-ranked contender. Which isn’t to say that Woodley hasn’t tried to chase down money fights. Just hours after winning the title Woodley began calling out Georges St-Pierre, Conor McGregor, and Nick Diaz but those fights have so far eluded Woodley, particularly the most appealing one of them, St-Pierre.

. . .

Woodley has been vocal that St-Pierre is moving to middleweight for fear of him embarrassing the GOAT, and on the most recent edition of his The Morning Wood Show podcast, the champ doubled down on his assertions, saying that St-Pierre’s skills are outmoded in the new welterweight order and that he has passed the Canadian already as far as his abilities.

“Some guys have medium speed, medium power, good wrestling, good attacks. I’ve been blessed to have maximum speed, maximum explosion, maximum power, and then [Din Thomas] and Duke [Roufus] have helped me add the other stuff, economy of motion, knowing when to explode, when not to explode, how to fight five rounds. . .

“They don’t want them problems, man. He had a chance to fight me and he said no. . .

“Georges has been away for three years, almost four. By the time he gets in there, it’s gonna be just a few days shy of four years so the sport has caught up. Whatever advantage he had, whatever degree of separation he created by being such a great martial artist, people have played catchup. I think I’ve surpassed him. He was a person I looked up to but skill for skill, mindset, explosion, power, wrestling ability, timing, strategy, all those things, I feel like I’ve surpassed Georges and that’s why I want to go out there to fight him and prove it.”

. . .

But if St-Pierre wins, a McGregor call out becomes odd as the most obvious weight for that fight to happen at would be 170 pounds since McGregor has fought there twice before, but welterweight is a division currently lorded over by Woodley. The welterweight champion says doing that fight in his division while he is reigning would be disrespectful to his title.

“[St-Pierre] probably [will call out McGregor], but he’s gonna have to be honest with the fans and say, ‘I’m here for money.” And that’s okay. There’s no shame in that. . . Just know I’m gonna call him out on that. Win, lose, or draw, I’m gonna want to fight the winner of that fight, Bisping or Georges. Then I’m going to want to come back and see all this fresh new talent in the welterweight division and I’m gonna want to show them a lesson too.”

. . .

So yet again Woodley appears to be sitting on the outside staring in as Georges St-Pierre lines up big money fight after big money fight.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10...rre-conor-mcgregor-bout-is-a-disrespect-to-me

IMO Woodley is bitter that GSP is fighting Bisping over him, which makes sense.
This has always been GSP's division.
But one thing that comes to mind, is if GSP "grew" during his retirement, so it is hard for him to make 170. He is older now, and obviously didn't keep his weight in check.

But Woodley should stop trying to talk like he is king of the jungle.
He defeated TWO top opponents yet.
There are plenty of fighters in his own division for him to talk about "fighting Bisping/GSP next".
He needs to first be an exciting fighter. THEN he can try to get himself into these "money fights".

Because so far, he only surpassed GSP in being a (way) more boring decision machine.

I'd disagree with that. In fact, outside of power and fluidity with the right hand, there are very few attributes about Woodley I'd place above GSP.

For someone whose wrestling is touted so highly, he's barely shown any of it in the entirety of his UFC run.

yet gsP is terrified of this fight only slightly less then a Silva fight which he deems not a super fight.

Insert the runn forrest meme right here.

. . .

. . .

. . .

Haha damn this poll proves it woodley has zero fans even on a mma site

IMO Woodley is bitter that GSP is fighting Bisping over him, which makes sense.
This has always been GSP's division.
But one thing that comes to mind, is if GSP "grew" during his retirement, so it is hard for him to make 170. He is older now, and obviously didn't keep his weight in check.

But Woodley should stop trying to talk like he is king of the jungle.
He defeated TWO top opponents yet.
There are plenty of fighters in his own division for him to talk about "fighting Bisping/GSP next".
He needs to first be an exciting fighter. THEN he can try to get himself into these "money fights".

Because so far, he only surpassed GSP in being a (way) more boring decision machine.
Not to mention he could have lost either tompson fights and the maia fight was top 5 worst all times , the fact the 2 of them combined for like 67 punchs in 25 min says it all .

The sport isn't remotely close to having evolved past GSP in terms of skill; I don't think anyone above 155 lbs has passed the bar he set in terms of all-round ability and physical conditioning.

What GSP lacks is a big punch – simply as that. Some fighters shut your lights out when they land clean; GSP doesn't. That's the only reason folks like Cryron might seem more dangerous.

SIDZZ9W.gif

5FdL9pb.gif

You gotta put your time in to pass GSP. Being the best takes time.

I agree. He somehow managed to become even more boring than GSP.

Quite the accomplishment

Tyron vs Georges has the potential to the most boring fight of all time. It's a very tough sell as a PPV. Tyron has to accept his part in that. Georges remains very popular even if he couldn't finish people. There has to be a reason other than sherbros.

Everybody knows GSP is the money fight, if you can't get Conor. Bisping put off other title defences to fight him, Woodley, Nick Diaz.

It has to be obvious to everybody, GSP wants a few big paydays, so he needs popular opponents who will engage. Georges is also a curiosity, in that, we have no clue how hard he has been training the last few years.

Back