Woodley Vs Till presents a very interesting situation.

Nope, that's not how vacant title bouts work, not in MMA or boxing. If only one fighter makes weight, then that fighter is eligible to win the title, while the one who failed to make weight isn't. A recent example would be last year's WBA vacant title fight between Katie Taylor and Anahi Sanchez. Sanchez failed to make weight, but Katie Taylor still won the title.
Got it, thanks.

I live Till but I hope he misses weight and Woodley refuses to fight. I need a shitshow

Got it, thanks.

The rules are necessarily set up like this in order to prevent fighters from exploiting the system to strip their opponents of a chance at winning the belt.

Let's say a vacant belt is no longer on the line if EITHER party misses weight. This means one fighter can cock block his opponent from fighting for the belt just by deliberately missing weight, which is simply unacceptable. In fact, if the reigning champion misses weight, the rule in boxing is that he is forced to vacate the title, and as long as the challenger makes weight, he can still contend for the belt. WEC didn't enforce this rule and Chael got screwed over in the rematch against Paulo Filho. Chael won, but since then MW champion Filho missed weight, the bout was considered a non-title fight, and Chael never got the belt.

I’m so scared that till isn’t going to make the weight dude lookin pretty damn thick on his insta pics

The rules are necessarily set up like this in order to prevent fighters from exploiting the system to strip their opponents of a chance at winning the belt.

Let's say a vacant belt is no longer on the line if EITHER party misses weight. This means one fighter can cock block his opponent from fighting for the belt just by deliberately missing weight, which is simply unacceptable. In fact, if the reigning champion misses weight, the rule in boxing is that he is forced to vacate the title, and as long as the challenger makes weight, he can still contend for the belt. WEC didn't enforce this rule and Chael got screwed over in the rematch against Paulo Filho. Chael won, but since then MW champion Filho missed weight, the bout was considered a non-title fight, and Chael never got the belt.
God I remember that weird ass fight....
Mark that as one of the only times I've ever felt bad for Chael.

Till has to weigh 170 exactly right? That means he would’ve missed his last fight by 4.5 pounds if it was for the title. That’s a fucking lot.

He also weighed 176 in an earlier fight. That’s just ridiculous. When you miss by that much you should be forced to move up.

I’ll be shocked if he makes 170. I can’t imagine he’ll be in good condition if he somehow manages to make it anyways.

Let me put forth a very interesting situation...
The Woodley and Till fight happens, Till misses weight. It becomes a regular title defense for woodley and a non title bout for Till, Till beats woodley. Leaving Woodley "still" the champ and Till the de facto champ....now out of this there would be only ONE person in this situation that would have claim to a real Welterweight belt....

Colby Covington.

Personally I myself would rather see Woodley vs Covington, as it would be the legitimate fight to make. And I'm not mad at Woodley vs Till as it has the chance to be a hell of a fight also. All and all I feel like the UFC set themselves up for a very really weird situation that could take place.
Thoughts?
It presents the worst title fight in the history of the best division in the UFC.

An interesting situation....

Woodley bet Colby 10,000 for everytime one of them goes for a takedown.

Till should tell that to Woodley, for everytime you touch my leg and go for TD... You owe me 10,000

Till has to weigh 170 exactly right? That means he would’ve missed his last fight by 4.5 pounds if it was for the title. That’s a fucking lot.

He also weighed 176 in an earlier fight. That’s just ridiculous. When you miss by that much you should be forced to move up.

I’ll be shocked if he makes 170. I can’t imagine he’ll be in good condition if he somehow manages to make it anyways.
Exactly, I don't see how he makes it on the dot like he's supposed to. Couple that with Woodley's ability to deny that fight if he comes in overweight, I say we are looking at a disaster of a main event.
Shame...because I feel if that fight would actually come to fruition it could be very fun. But it also has the propensity to be a stinker.
Idk what the UFC was going for in this one

Exactly, I don't see how he makes it on the dot like he's supposed to. Couple that with Woodley's ability to deny that fight if he comes in overweight, I say we are looking at a disaster of a main event.
Shame...because I feel if that fight would actually come to fruition it could be very fun. But it also has the propensity to be a stinker.
Idk what the UFC was going for in this one

I blame Colby. When you have a shot at the real belt fuck a vacation and fuck recovery as long as you’re not physically injured. I hate on a Mcgregor a lot but he would’ve jumped all over in a similar situation as would anyone else. Only Colby milks the interim belt and treats it as if it were the real thing.

I blame Colby. When you have a shot at the real belt fuck a vacation and fuck recovery as long as you’re not physically injured. I hate on a Mcgregor a lot but he would’ve jumped all over in a similar situation as would anyone else. Only Colby milks the interim belt and treats it as if it were the real thing.
But is it really worse than mcgregors unwilling to defend for two years? It would be hard to say that he would jump on an opportunity considering he has had many in the the time allotted. Same wth Woodley...I understand there was an injury in there, but he was also discussing fights with GSP and Nate Diaz over legit contenders.

I get the frustration...but It's a little odd that The UFC couldn't come of an agreement over this matter considering Colby wanted to fight a just month after the scheduled 228
It just seems a little bit of a double standard here with champions.
All and all I am a little confused at the UFCs move to willingness to place themselves in a more complicated situation.

I really think we are going to figure out how this fight is going to go within the first few minutes... if TWood can get him down rd1 its going to be an easy defend imho; yes Till is better on the feet but once again the “threat” of the takedown is going to play a huge factor; something Till has never really experienced at this high caliber of fighter. That said TWoods chin has been cracked before..i just want a great fight

I would have prefered Woodley Vs Covington. The build up would have been great. Although the fight may have been less exciting.

Woodley vs Till is interesting. I can see this thing turning into a war.

I prefer a fight in September between any of those 3 rather than no fight at all.

Woodley vs. Covington will happen eventually anyway.

The double standards and incompetence of UFC is more laughable every day.

They make the boxing organizations look great in comparison.

You give a guy an interim belt 7 weeks ago and strip him so a guy who missed weight by 5 pounds can fight for the title. Lol I cant wait to ses Till miss weight again.

i think if till misses weight, woodley wont fight him. rightfully so.

IMO he showed very impressive stamina in last fight against WB even he had to keep his weight down for extra 24h.

Exactly, I don't see how he makes it on the dot like he's supposed to.
If Till's not in Jabba the Hutt territory, he's got time to diet down to a reasonable weight without drastic food deprivation. If he instead tries to go through the dehydrate-until-you-get-blind protocol, then of course the chances he'd miss weight would be pretty good.

Back