Working 60+ hours per week

Anybody who says they work those kinds of hours isn't working half the time. Probably 40 productive hours at most the rest of the time spent dicking around. Let me guess your an office workers. ......
na tradesman. its actually super common. when i was a logger we did 11hr days. 6 days a week.

How much time did you spend there?
12 days the resort was lovely and the monkey temple show was great.
My problem was the garbage everywhere and shopping became annoying due to super aggressive shop keepers.

Thailand is much better the people are polite even when you aren't spending money and they at least try and clean up major tourist area's.

I've done 60-70 hours per week for about 6 months out of the years for 3 years now.

This year I had to put my foot down. Apparently I am somewhat valuable at my workplace because they said they want me to stay and if I can put in like 50+ hours during the busy part of the year that's cool.

I like making bank, but the lifestyle sacrifice just isn't worth it anymore. 60+ hours really burns me down every week, especially as I'm in my 30's now it just leaves me no energy to do anything else without it feeling like a chore. Some dudes can handle it and have a pretty full life outside of work but I'm just not that guy. I've gotten myself into a reasonably comfortable financial situation over the last few years, not just with the hours I've put in but also not having a lot of time to go out and blow it all. I don't need to work myself into the ground for the sake of money.

Is this a good place to write...... TRIGGERED ha talk about a meltdown

I'm not putting boxes on trucks I'm not doing and kind on manual labour what so ever, never assume, kid

The point was you said I shouldn't waste my time / my prime on work. But it now seems there are exceptions to this hard and fast rule you have been touting in here.

No matter what the job is, the result on yourself is the same, the loss of time / youth / prime. So make your mind up, it's either ok to work through your prime or it isn't, you can't be passionately screaming that it isn't ok to waste your prime and then flip flop and say actually you know what it is if you're doing x y z

Being condescending to and talking down to a willfull idiot doesnt = " a meltdown" . It probably equates more to being a dick or unkind in the sense that you can't help your condtion and aren't fully capable of understanding what's happening to you.

On the crux of your post , I won't even address the differences of magnitude and importance between the work of the Salks and Oppenheimers of the world .......and Davem10 , your analogy is dumb enough on its own that no elaboration is needed . You are clearly adept at weaponising your obtuseness , its too bad you can't get paid for that.

And yes , if you're taking home $15 an hour from OT ( puts you at what....$13 or $14 an hour straight time ), you might not be loading boxes but it ain't far off. Normally I'd think it petty ( hell it IS petty ) to belittle someone's station and salary. An exception made for you since youve managed to find a way to be belligerent with sheer dullness.

60 hours sucks , 40 hours though its the " standard " is a lot imo . The average plebe spends the majority of their productive lives doing someone else's bidding , while they farm the kids out to other people and you love it....or you think you do any way. Work Work Work Work your way into an " early " retirement is the claim , which is ok I guesd IF it works out. Not so if you get liver cancer at 48 or you and the wife split and you get set back a decade financially.

The guy that's been working 50% more hours for over 20 years to " retire in his 50s " is honestly not making much of a trade imo. You are sacrificing/ sacrificed the lions share of your prime years and your families prime years to gain an incremental amount of time in the winding down years. 50s is very doable by living conservatively with modest income anyhow.

Leaving below your means is the way to go imo. Don't get into excessive debt or have too many stupid toys. If you're making 60 k a year you shouldn't have a wake board boat or 50k truck. I see overtime rich retards doing this constantly.

I've got a good buddy that works 60-70 hours a week constantly. He knocks down between 130-140 k a year. He's always buying expensive guns or optics for a shooting hobby that he doesnt have time for and a kid that he doesnt spend much time with. No thanks.

I am a bit lucky in that my wife makes very good money without putting in killer hours ( 40 ) and her excellent earning ability gives me the flexibility to work for myself and work very few hours in exchange for very good money. We strategically put ourselves in this position though . Instead of taking big vacations we saved up 80 k to put down on our current house so we could hang on to our old houses instead of selling them . Now we have rental income. We don't buy new cars , but will search around for months and find the perfect deal on a used one . In a past life , up until about 30 , I did the whole killing it with overtime thing. Its no way to live imo , excepting a short term goal like yours TS .

Nobody ever laid on their deathbed wishing they had worked more Saturdays .

I work as little hours for the most money

Time spent with my son is more valuable than any materialistic thing

This ^

People fail to realize , or at least fail to live like time is a limited commodity. There are a certain amount of Saturday mornings or Wednesday nights that you have left , some of us would no doubt be terrified if that number were revealed to us. Taking any of them for granted , let alone doing it for years or decades on end is a fools errand imo.

Yeah I've been there and done it working weekends and stuff but I'm at a point now where I say to myself if I'm not making enough in 5 days (30 hours) then I need to change career
Different when your self employed as I am but people still don't listen, i would hate nothing more than to work my cock off and miss tons of life experiences only to have a mortgage paid early and then to die at 40 anyway
I dunno I just try and find a healthy balance
Fucking preach!

I work, at max, 32 hours per week.

I could be pulling in well over 140K a year if I doubled up my hours and/or took more call, but fuck that noise. I want to actually enjoy the money I have. I want to enjoy my time with my family. I want to enjoy my time with my friends.

Who knows if you're even going to live to enjoy all of the money you've saved up for early retirement. Who knows if your family members are going to live to enjoy all of the extra time you'll get with early retirement. The next day isn't guaranteed.

This doesn't mean that I'm not saving for the future, but there needs to be a balance. If all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, all play and no work makes Jack a dumb boy.

Fucking preach!

I work, at max, 32 hours per week.

I could be pulling in well over 140K a year if I doubled up my hours and/or took more call, but fuck that noise. I want to actually enjoy the money I have. I want to enjoy my time with my family. I want to enjoy my time with my friends.

Who knows if you're even going to live to enjoy all of the money you've saved up for early retirement. Who knows if your family members are going to live to enjoy all of the extra time you'll get with early retirement. The next day isn't guaranteed.

This doesn't mean that I'm not saving for the future, but there needs to be a balance. If all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, all play and no work makes Jack a dumb boy.

Very split perspectives in here

12 days the resort was lovely and the monkey temple show was great.
My problem was the garbage everywhere and shopping became annoying due to super aggressive shop keepers.

Thailand is much better the people are polite even when you aren't spending money and they at least try and clean up major tourist area's.

I'd imagine 12 days is a short time to see all there is to see. Although it's tough for most, staying somewhere for at least a month really allows yourself you 'get it'. Imho. Building some connections and having a lot of free time to get lost and find hidden gems is what made it fun for me. And I was also training at Bali MMA full time. Lots of good people there.
Bali is also still a relatively new tourist attraction... They've of course begun to industrialized, but it's miles away from Thailand. Plus, it's mostly hippies and surfers in Bali.
With that said, I prefer Thailand too. I didn't like Bali food too much. It was delicious, but not as diverse as Thailand.

Being condescending to and talking down to a willfull idiot doesnt = " a meltdown" . It probably equates more to being a dick or unkind in the sense that you can't help your condtion and aren't fully capable of understanding what's happening to you.

On the crux of your post , I won't even address the differences of magnitude and importance between the work of the Salks and Oppenheimers of the world .......and Davem10 , your analogy is dumb enough on its own that no elaboration is needed . You are clearly adept at weaponising your obtuseness , its too bad you can't get paid for that.

And yes , if you're taking home $15 an hour from OT ( puts you at what....$13 or $14 an hour straight time ), you might not be loading boxes but it ain't far off. Normally I'd think it petty ( hell it IS petty ) to belittle someone's station and salary. An exception made for you since youve managed to find a way to be belligerent with sheer dullness.

Nice avoidance post, and yes you certainly had a meltdown last post, swearing away and getting your little panties in a twist

You still havent clarified. Is it absolutely stupid to work through ones prime or not ? You cant have it both ways like you are trying to have it.

Your whole point has been made null and void. You cant adamantly be on one side of an arguement and then flip flop over to the opposite side.

You said its stupid to work as im missing out on hobbies, friends, family time etc. No matter what your job is, those same things apply, you miss out on them. So why is it ok for some jobs but not others it makes no sense, you still lose the thing which your whole argument is based on.................

Lets make some more hypothetical scenarios to show you how stupid your flip flopping is

If i was indeed putting boxes onto a truck (which is unacceptable to you) vs trying to cure cancer ( total back flip and now apparently acceptable to work away your prime) I worked to cure cancer and never came close to finding a cure, now what ? Was the work trying to find a cancer cure still an acceptable job to do? What if one day when i was at this imaginary box loading job i see a crack in a box and notice a bomb is inside, the job is putting bags onto planes prior to takeoff. My intercepting it saves a plane full of people. So was the box loading job still an stupid waste of prime ?

Last edited:
If working 60 hours a week leads to you having a heart attack before you get to retire then you're kind of defeating the purpose of working that much.

If working 60 hours a week leads to you having a heart attack before you get to retire then you're kind of defeating the purpose of working that much.

Thats true but again, working 60 hours in an extremely chill physical environment for 5 or so years wont hurt anybody i dont think

Im about to guinea pig it anyway lol

Nice avoidance post, and yes you certainly had a meltdown last post, swearing away and getting your little panties in a twist

You still havent clarified. Is it absolutely stupid to work through ones prime or not ? You cant have it both ways like you are trying to have it.

Your whole point has been made null and void. You cant adamantly be on one side of an arguement and then flip flop over to the opposite side.

You said its stupid to work as im missing out on hobbies, friends, family time etc. No matter what your job is, those same things apply, you miss out on them. So why is it ok for some jobs but not others it makes no sense, you still lose the thing which your whole argument is based on.................

Lets make some more hypothetical scenarios to show you how stupid your flip flopping is

If i was indeed putting boxes onto a truck (which is unacceptable to you) vs trying to cure cancer ( total back flip and now apparently acceptable to work away your prime) I worked to cure cancer and never came close to finding a cure, now what ? Was the work trying to find a cancer cure still an acceptable job to do? What if one day when i was at this imaginary box loading job i see a crack in a box and notice a bomb is inside, the job is putting bags onto planes prior to takeoff. My intercepting it saves a plane full of people. So was the box loading job still an stupid waste of prime ?

I haven't followed all of your back and forth, but I'm going to chime in here. Why are you looking for a black and white answer? Very few things in life are black and white. Some people are going to think it is worth working 60 hours, go for it, and not regret it. Many others will regret it. My guess is that a larger % regret it. The real question lies in how well you know yourself and your desired lifestyle.

A funny sidenote on this: Our fedex driver (box loader!) quit and went to a much lower paying job recently. He grinded away delivering packages up until about age 50. He was actually bringing in good money ($25 an hour, $37.50 overtime) and working 60+ hours on average. That comes up to just under six figures delivering and loading boxes. The problem is that it was killing him. He got a job now making just under $40k. He literally gave up more than half of his salary to get out of 60 hours per week.

I have a friend that just did the opposite. He was working 40 hours a week for the city and jumped into 50+ hours per week at a welding position for more money. He used to get to pick up his kids from school and have a lot more free time. It was a big lifestyle change for him. Not sure if he likes it yet or not.

I haven't followed all of your back and forth, but I'm going to chime in here. Why are you looking for a black and white answer? Very few things in life are black and white. Some people are going to think it is worth working 60 hours, go for it, and not regret it. Many others will regret it. My guess is that a larger % regret it. The real question lies in how well you know yourself and your desired lifestyle.

A funny sidenote on this: Our fedex driver (box loader!) quit and went to a much lower paying job recently. He grinded away delivering packages up until about age 50. He was actually bringing in good money ($25 an hour, $37.50 overtime) and working 60+ hours on average. That comes up to just under six figures delivering and loading boxes. The problem is that it was killing him. He got a job now making just under $40k. He literally gave up more than half of his salary to get out of 60 hours per week.

I have a friend that just did the opposite. He was working 40 hours a week for the city and jumped into 50+ hours per week at a welding position for more money. He used to get to pick up his kids from school and have a lot more free time. It was a big lifestyle change for him. Not sure if he likes it yet or not.

Im not looking for a black and white answer, i was just looking for peoples opinions on the matter

Then homeboy popped up with his swiss cheese filled logic

I have a brother and sister who lived for the moment. Money was something to spend. Then they reached a point in their 50s where they were no longer employed and had no money. They borrowed money from my parents with no way to pay it back. They got money when my parents died but went through that in a hurry. They made it to retirement age but didn't have much income while working so they collect minimum Social Security and no savings or pensions.
This is a false dichotomy.

There isn't just an all or nothing perspective when talking about the saving vs. spending debate. You can do a bit of both, saving for the future and enjoying time with friends and family, without having to put all of your eggs into one basket.

You can get away with working hours like that in your 20's, 30s and maybe 40s but after that working those kind of hours is hard to do as you get older.

There's more to life then having a big bank account and toys in your driveway.

Also a good number of the people in your life are probably going to be dead by the time you're 50. And you're wasting the time you could've spent with them working. You can't get that back. Don't take the people in your life for granted. I've learned that at a young age.

Working those kind of hours sucks, I did it at a law firm for a year working on mergers & acquisitions, super stressful and I was tired all the time it wasn't worth the money I'd rather have more time.

One guy at that job retired at 60 on the Friday and died of a sudden heart attack that sunday.

Now I work in transport planning for the government, usual day is 8.00am-4.00pm it's perfect I've got so much of my day left after work.

Last edited:
Do it while you're young if you have the time and determination. I don't think it's sustainable in the long run without something getting neglected.

Dave Ramsay podcast
Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I hated working 60+ hours a week. It was a good job, but it was physically hard on the body. I made good money, but basically had no social life, and no girlfriend; no time to date. I'd just come home from work everyday and go strait to bed; get up, and go back to work.

Yeah its certainly hard work on the brain, i feel groggy and mentally foggy probably isnt sustainable

1 week in and i say this lol

Back