working out before drinking alcohol

What? And all this time I've been drinking in the morning and pre workout. Damn I'm gonna try the post workout thing tomorrow and post results.

good call on the vodka if its one thing i dont want to be when drinking and lifting weights at the same time its dehydrated

Order a pitcher of water with each pitcher of beer.

I have found that rehydrating with beer post aerobic workout/activity messes me up - and not in a fun way. Achy, slightly dizzy, nausea, etc.

Also avoiding nasty bar food (spicy) is a good plan. Start with a veggie appy seems to be good.

Pound a couple of pints of water and you will be fine. Nothing tastes better than a post-workout brewski.

workout, drink water, drink beer/booze, drink water, go to bed, wake up, drink water and coffee.

If nothing else, working out before drinking will at least make you feel good about doing something athletic before killing your body...

I say do whatever you need to do to keep happy and sane. I've found that keeping my moral up is way more important than loosing the benefits of 1 workout. If the guy needs to go out and drink and blow off some steam go for it.

It seems to me that a lot of top level guys who lift seldom drink, some don't at all so take that for what it's worth. For a regular guy, as long as you don't drink before working out everything should be fine.

I had a beer once before working out. I waited around an hour and then I was fine. I didn't do my regular routine but I did just enough so that my muscles were dead. It is def. not a smart idea but I things happen.:icon_cry2

I've found that working out drastically lowered my level of tolerance to intoxicants (alcohol among other things). So my advice is to watch how much you consume because you may find that like me, you get way more messed up pwo.

i read in a weightlifting mag that drinking alcohol within 24 hours after a workout almost makes the workout before hand worthless. it lowers your testosterone and your muscles dont grow.

if anything try and get sleep before you drink.

workout thursday, drink friday night.

workout friday, drink sat night.

This reminds me of all those questions from a while ago, where people just wanted confirmation for what they wanted to hear. Obviously you want to go out drinking regardless.

But if you want my opinion, just adjust your workout schedule. For example, if I know that drinking is going to happen on a Friday of this week, then I will re-adjust my workouts so that I do my Friday workout on Thursday instead. If you have put thought into your training schedule then this should not be too difficult to do.

Didnt GSP say that a little wine a day is good for the blood?

I would think if you drink anything you should drink beer, its loaded with protein and carbs.

I know it means nothing but I made the biggest gains of my life since I started drinking 10-30 beers every weekend. I'm 20 lbs heavier and bench 100lbs more than I did this time last year.

i did that yesterday...of course I had plenty of time between working out and drinking.

Jesus fucking christ, how thick can you get? Booze is bad for you. I drink, but don't have any fucking doubts about it hindering you. And lets consider the alternative: don't workout and drink. in this Bizarro scenario you do NOTHING productive or healthy for your body and skip straight to the counterproductive part.

A little common sense will go further than all the science this thread can offer.
Im not sure why the thread continued after this. I think common sense says that not working out will benefit less then working out and drinking.

I dont like to drink after a workout cuz all the energy and tightness i got while at the gym is gone after i start drinking. So I choose not to drink.

So where are the actual studies, I know this topic is old, but really if you look at it, no true answer was achieved just a bunch of opinions / rumours. If you drink does it negatively affect your workout? What if you only have a few beers? What if you drink lots of water while drinking a few?

So where are the actual studies, I know this topic is old, but really if you look at it, no true answer was achieved just a bunch of opinions / rumours. If you drink does it negatively affect your workout? What if you only have a few beers? What if you drink lots of water while drinking a few?

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but there was a study on this forum posted about alcohol consumption either slowing very considerably or stopping muscle protein synthesis during the time that the body filtered/metabolized the alcohol. And considering that is what you need to happen after a workout in order for muscles to get either bigger or stronger, yeah it's a pretty big negative effect. I'd like to see the study again though, I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the results were.

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but there was a study on this forum posted about alcohol consumption either slowing very considerably or stopping muscle protein synthesis during the time that the body filtered/metabolized the alcohol. And considering that is what you need to happen after a workout in order for muscles to get either bigger or stronger, yeah it's a pretty big negative effect. I'd like to see the study again though, I can't for the life of me remember exactly what the results were.
I wonder how that affects the training of the central nervous system. I mean, essentially, peak strength training is LARGELY about the development of inter-muscular and intramuscular coordination right? Not necessarily about myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Back