Banned
Reaction score
worst

Mark-Kerr-Greg-Stott-first-portion-of-the-fight.gif

Best

OddballPlainCowbird-small.gif

6t0peb.jpg

Both worst and best in the same gif

Anderson definitely never had the best hands. He was a good straight puncher but he always scared the shit out of me when he would plant his feet and throw his incredibly wild sloppy hooks with his torso well over his center of gravity and his head wide open.

If I knew how to post gifs I would provide you with several examples of what I mean cause I don't feel I explained it well enough there to paint a mental picture for you.

Anderson Silva is one of the best strikers of all time. What are you talking about?
Anderson definitely never had the best hands. He was a good straight puncher but he always scared the shit out of me when he would plant his feet and throw his incredibly wild sloppy hooks with his torso well over his center of gravity and his head wide open.

If I knew how to post gifs I would provide you with several examples of what I mean cause I don't feel I explained it well enough there to paint a mental picture for you.

GSP with the best jab in MMA.

Conor with the best southpaw cross.

Woodley with the best overhand right.

It's hard to pick an elite boxer who adapts their hands well to MMA.

It's the button that looks like a picture... same as in Word or any program

I don't know what you're talking about, Anderson was extremely efficient and precise with his striking and he had amazing knees both inside and outside the clinch

The Leben and Griffin fights are textbook examples of picking someone apart with precision and timing, and look at what he did to Franklin.

Anderson Silva is one of the best strikers of all time. What are you talking about?

Yeah he is. Because of his timing, footwork, headmovement and ability to read and anticipate as well as being a true 8 point striker who can finish with all of them. He's my all time favorite fighter.

All that however does not change the fact that he doesn't have the best hands, great straight punchs but absolutely horrible technique when throwing hooks. Wild, wreckless and over extended, you can see examples of what i'm talking about in almost everyone of his fights but the best example I can think of off the top of my head is in the Chael fights. The one he throws right before the slip in the 5th and the one he throws right before he grabs Chaels shorts in the 2nd round of the rematch and eats a huge right from Chael in the process.

There are also several examples in the Maia and Okami fights as well as when he got rocked by Cote cause he was so over extended on a hook Cote caught him in the back of the head.

I love Anderson dude but when he would throw his hooks I would always hold my breath.

It's the button that looks like a picture... same as in Word or any program

I don't know what you're talking about, Anderson was extremely efficient and precise with his striking and he had amazing knees both inside and outside the clinch

The Leben and Griffin fights are textbook examples of picking someone apart with precision and timing, and look at what he did to Franklin.

I'm in no way arguing against that. Leban and Forrest where both picked apart with straight punches though, not a single hook thrown, same with Rich.

Anderson is my favorite fighter man.

Yeah he is. Because of his timing, footwork, headmovement and ability to read and anticipate as well as being a true 8 point striker who can finish with all of them. He's my all time favorite fighter.

All that however does not change the fact that he doesn't have the best hands, great straight punchs but absolutely horrible technique when throwing hooks. Wild, wreckless and over extended, you can see examples of what i'm talking about in almost everyone of his fights but the best example I can think of off the top of my head is in the Chael fights. The one he throws right before the slip in the 5th and the one he throws right before he grabs Chaels shorts in the 2nd round of the rematch and eats a huge right from Chael in the process.

There are also several examples in the Maia and Okami fights as well as when he got rocked by Cote cause he was so over extended on a hook Cote caught him in the back of the head.

I love Anderson dude but when he would throw his hooks I would always hold my breath.

I don't know why, most of them look like this

silva-moving-counter-comp.gif

His hooks were never his forte but he had head and body kicks in place of that. His hand speed and precision are both as good as anyone. He rarely led with a hook that I can recall, although I'm sure it happened, but it was never central to his striking... why throw a hook when you can drop anyone with your cross

I would say it's either Anderson or Liddell

Last edited:
Technically the best striker in MMA history is...

... James Toney.

I am sorry to ruin this thread.

Yeah, that's horrible and just a mild example. He was throwing a hook when Bisping dropped him too, find that gif.
That is pretty bad looking, they're definitely closer to or actually are swings/haymakers rather than tight hooks but I think it's the speed of his counters and dodges/slips just being so fast that when one looks at him throwing those punches it looks like just sloppy swings but it's really just fast hands and slick defense but it doesn't look pretty in execution during these particular moments in the gif and the times you mentioned.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's horrible and just a mild example. He was throwing a hook when Bisping dropped him too, find that gif.

Those are two seperate quick counter right hooks that land... not sure what is horrible about that. It's not what you'd see in a boxing manual but it is highly effective MMA striking

AliShuffleAndersonSilva.gif

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-17_8-15-22.png
    upload_2018-10-17_8-15-22.png
    57 KB · Views: 6
Back