Worst Nepotism in Wrestling?

Protegejoe296

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Lord knows there's a LOT of nepotism in the wrestling world, but what was the worst example? For me it's probably the early push of Erik Watts or Gange giving his useless son the title. At least with the the VonErich clan, most of them were talented.

Lord knows there's a LOT of nepotism in the wrestling world, but what was the worst example? For me it's probably the early push of Erik Watts or Gange giving his useless son the title. At least with the the VonErich clan, most of them were talented.

Erik had a decent look, but not much else. Greg Gagne on the other hand was actually a very good worker, and was an underrated tag team wrestler. He just didn't have the same genetics as his old man. Thankfully Verne never put the world strap on him, or he would no doubt be the #1 all time nepotism winner.

A couple more to add:

Angelo Mosca Jr. - they actually pushed this kid into winning the NWA Mid Atlantic heavyweight title. Lets look at some title holders before him- Flair, Wahoo, Valentine(Greg and Johnny), Piper, Steamboat, Koloff, Iron Sheik, Brisco. Yeah, not sure "Mosca Jr." belongs on that list. T

Mike and Chris Von Erich - Much like Greg Gagne, neither Mike nor Chris(especially) inherited their Dad's genetics. Sure, Kevin, Kerry and David were great, and absolutely deserved their push. Each excelled in at least one category - looks, mic, work but Mike and Chris just didn't. In particular, Chris was a midget who had no business anywhere near a ring.

David Flair - Where to start? For one, it never seemed to me that David even wanted to be out there. He looked lost and bored most of the time. He obviously was just doing it to please his dad. His complete lack of charisma was even more so magnified by comparisons to his dad. He ended winning both the WCW US Title(after Steiner was stripped of it), AND the WCW World Tag Team Titles with DAFFNEY, when they defeated Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner. What a joke

The worst case of nepotism pro wrestling has seen is Stephanie McMahon. What talent does she have as a wrestler? They made her the Divas champion anyway even though there were women like Lita and Ivory who were infinitely more talented. What talent that she has justifies giving her the mic for 15 or 20 minutes straight to start RAW on Monday nights? The answer of course is none, but nevertheless, Vince let her go on and on and on on the mic for those interminably long seeming segments they open RAW with back then.

Some people may ask why I don't include Shane but for one thing Shane wasn't used as much, they didn't give him the WWF World Championship belt, he was capable of doing some exciting things in his matches, even RVDs Van Terminator, and on the mic at least he was fairly likable.

Last edited:
Erik had a decent look, but not much else. Greg Gagne on the other hand was actually a very good worker, and was an underrated tag team wrestler. He just didn't have the same genetics as his old man. Thankfully Verne never put the world strap on him, or he would no doubt be the #1 all time nepotism winner.

A couple more to add:

Angelo Mosca Jr. - they actually pushed this kid into winning the NWA Mid Atlantic heavyweight title. Lets look at some title holders before him- Flair, Wahoo, Valentine(Greg and Johnny), Piper, Steamboat, Koloff, Iron Sheik, Brisco. Yeah, not sure "Mosca Jr." belongs on that list. T

Mike and Chris Von Erich - Much like Greg Gagne, neither Mike nor Chris(especially) inherited their Dad's genetics. Sure, Kevin, Kerry and David were great, and absolutely deserved their push. Each excelled in at least one category - looks, mic, work but Mike and Chris just didn't. In particular, Chris was a midget who had no business anywhere near a ring.

David Flair - Where to start? For one, it never seemed to me that David even wanted to be out there. He looked lost and bored most of the time. He obviously was just doing it to please his dad. His complete lack of charisma was even more so magnified by comparisons to his dad. He ended winning both the WCW US Title(after Steiner was stripped of it), AND the WCW World Tag Team Titles with DAFFNEY, when they defeated Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner. What a joke

Beat me to it on multiple points. Erik Watts had the look but got thrown out there way too green. Never got to progress naturally. Greg could work but had a shit body and little charisma. Both were D-I quarterbacks in college, it appears.

Correct in that David Flair really didn't want to be there. He grew up with dreams of being a North Carolina State Trooper. The only plus to that was getting Cowbar/Devon Storm TV time (and, to a lesser extent, Daffney) and making the nepotism/reluctance a part of the story from jump was a mitigating factor.

Verne Gagne never put the title on his son

George Gulas is the answer
Nick Gulas lost his territory because he insisted on pushing his terrible son

A couple more to add:

Ivan Koloff having to stop and actually teach Mosca Jr how to apply the figure 4 during the tv title match is one of my favorite moments ever
Of course Mosca still does it wrong and Koloff has to lay there selling nothing and looking like a fool

The Giant got to headline a PPV in his debut match because of his father.;)

Ivan Koloff having to stop and actually teach Mosca Jr how to apply the figure 4 during the tv title match is one of my favorite moments ever
Of course Mosca still does it wrong and Koloff has to lay there selling nothing and looking like a fool

Video to show:

Huge credit to Koloff. The crowd was going nuts because he was such a great heel. The Mulky brothers could have been in that match and gotten a pop. Even in the "scripted" world of pro-wrestling, you know Ivan has to think "I go from beating Bruno God Damned Sammartino to this?"

C7N2yzgWwAAbhrJ.jpg:large

Bull crap, you're telling me the guy who CARRIED a young Bobby Eaton and looked like THIS^^^ couldn't draw!!?? Check out that treasure trail and eat your heart out

Instead he CREATED a title for him. The AWA TV title. He constantly tried to push him as the top babyface. Greg had the personality if my ass hair.

I grew up having to watch it, yes I am still bitter.

The worst case of nepotism pro wrestling has seen is Stephanie McMahon. What talent does she have as a wrestler? They made her the Divas champion anyway even though there were women like Lita and Ivory who were infinitely more talented. What talent that she has justifies giving her the mic for 15 or 20 minutes straight to start RAW on Monday nights? The answer of course is none, but nevertheless, Vince let her go on and on and on on the mic for those interminably long seeming segments they open RAW with back then.

Some people may ask why I don't include Shane but foreign thing Shane wasn't used as much, they didn't give him the WWF World Championship belt, he was capable of doing some exciting things in his matches, even RVDs Van Terminator, and on the mic at least he was fairly likable.

100% this.
Shane and Vince hell even Linda took some bumps. Steph is useless.

It's the right answer. Worse than all the others listed.....

I respect the old school stuff but you guys are smoking crack if you can't see Steph is the worst.

You beaten and bought your competition
Your company name is synonymous with pro wrestling among the masses
You have damn near every top talent under contract and probly the most talented roster of all times...

You still put an overdone failed heel authority figure on TV who can't wrestle, won't even take a bump for the fans, and is always booked strong, because she is your daughter, if not she would have been fired or humiliated long ago....wassupwitdat?

Some people may ask why I don't include Shane but for one thing Shane wasn't used as much, they didn't give him the WWF World Championship belt, he was capable of doing some exciting things in his matches, even RVDs Van Terminator, and on the mic at least he was fairly likable.

Steph knows how to infuse wwe with Starbucks corporate culture.. That's her gift.

Reality is she is pretty sexy. If I could have a week vacation of mostly sex, I would let her choose me. But until recently, and even now, her mix skills have been miss and hit and miss. She's pretty enough though.

Saw the title and came into say Erik Watts. TS was right. I think it was the whole undefeated streak that made it worse for me. At least with David Flair, his dad giving him the rub was kind of part of the angle. Watts coming out in that stupid cardinal's jacket like he was some hot prospect irritated me. Was it Orndorff that finally beat him? I was glad to see the old dog put him in his place

I don't about "worse", but I'm not really a fan of 2nd/3rd gen wrestlers using their dad's gimmick. Charlotte Flair, for example. She's good-looking, athletic, and can work. Do they constantly need to be selling us that she's the reincarnation of The Nature Boy? It seems like a cheap way to get over IMO. Charlotte is talented enough where she could get over on her own.

Back