Would a prime Liddell be top 5 today?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The thing is if you take any fighter when they were young and make them train like fighters do today...
they would be different fighters. If Chuck was born in 1992 was 25 years old right now of course he would be training like a modern MMA fighter and would be a completely different fighter...

But that's not what Im talking about. What Im asking is....

If you took a prime Chuck Liddel... Somewhere between 2002 and 2005... When he was doing these things (gifs below)... with the skillset he had the time... Nasty Power, Great Chin, good sprawl , and amazing ability to get back to his feet... Would he be a top 5 LHW right now? I mean look at the divsion(posted below).. Dc would wreck him his wrestling and Gus would be a heavy favorite...but a prime Liddell would be competitive with the others in top 5 or 6 would he not.

jru45d.jpg

w8ut0j.jpg

23032808_358517061256607_4896307915120322588_n.jpg

DAMNIT.. can someone delete thi si posted in wrong forum

He would be top 5 for sure.

MMA hasn't evolved much at all.

At the lower level, sure. At the highest level.. Nah. Tim Sylvia would still wreck shit at HW and Couture, Tito, and Liddell would all 3 be top 10.

Lower weight classes have evolved a bit more... but Faber could come back tomorrow and still be a top 10 FW.

Top 5.... better question is could he be champ.

Hell yes. Chuck was a badass. Ko power and great tdd

He would be top 5 for sure.

MMA hasn't evolved much at all.

At the lower level, sure. At the highest level.. Nah. Tim Sylvia would still wreck shit at HW and Couture, Tito, and Liddell would all 3 be top 10.

Lower weight classes have evolved a bit more... but Faber could come back tomorrow and still be a top 10 FW.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm

Absolutely. I actually think the Gus fight would be more competitive than you think although I would probably have Gus winning. I would put prime Chuck around #3 with a chance to be the champ on any given night. That said if Rumble were still fighting I think he beats Chuck every single time.

I love that this is in the Mayweather/McGregor forum btw. So random.

Probably...he'd not be taken down by wrestling heavy LHW and clip them up like before. Champ is very possible with GOAT jones gone.

DC vs prime Liddel Id pay 350 for

Probably...he'd not be taken down by wrestling heavy LHW and clip them up like before. Champ is very possible with GOAT jones gone.

DC vs prime Liddel Id pay 350 for
Chuck would sleep him inside 3

Top 5 today...

Yes, but that's because the LHW division is awful.

205 was a way better division 10 years ago

Back