Would Cheick “The Darkness” Kongo dominate Alexander Volkov again?

Volkov is a breath of fresh air, but he will lose to a decent grappler who chooses to grapple with him. Lost to kongo and tony Johnson that way. Just doesn’t have the frame for it.

Volkov would crumple under the pressure of The Darkness again, too big and strong for Volkov.

Kongo is too athletic and explosive for Volkov.

Good thread. I noticed the other Kongo thread started fast with people scoffing at him and then sank when the reminder that he completely swept every round from a current top 3 UFC HW not that long ago came up.

Sure.. and Struve will outbox Miocic again.

Volkov has clearly improved since that fight? And Cheick's level of competition has only gone down. So no, I don't see Cheick dominating Volkov again. The same way I don't see Joe Duffy beating Conor McGregor again?

Fighters are capable of improving and building on losses you know.

Good thread. I noticed the other Kongo thread started fast with people scoffing at him and then sank when the reminder that he completely swept every round from a current top 3 UFC HW not that long ago came up.

Most of the 185 division have lost to Vitor Belfort at some point, it doesn't mean he's currently the best in the division... obviously

Volkov has clearly improved since that fight? And Cheick's level of competition has only gone down. So no, I don't see Cheick dominating Volkov again. The same way I don't see Joe Duffy beating Conor McGregor again?

Fighters are capable of improving and building on losses you know.

Most of the 185 division have lost to Vitor Belfort at some point, it doesn't mean he's currently the best in the division... obviously

No he hasn’t. He’s the exact same fighter who hasn’t been matched with the style of fighters he struggled with in Bellator.

It seems the “clearly improved” angle is only for UFC fighters who had got beat out of other promotions and quickly moved in to success in UFC(Volkov and Volkan) but never the other way around.

Perhaps the competition has just been a little easier

No he hasn’t. He’s the exact same fighter who hasn’t been matched with the style of fighters he struggled with in Bellator.

It seems the “clearly improved” angle is only for UFC fighters who had got beat out of other promotions and quickly moved in to success in UFC(Volkov and Volkan) but never the other way around.

Perhaps the competition has just been a little easier

So you're sort of insinuating that Bellator's HW division has and maintains a deeper talenth depth than that of the UFC HW division? See, call me traditional but that I don't buy. If you were to wind the clock back a bit and say that Pride was superior to UFC, that I could certainly get on board with. But in modern-day MMA, UFC is premier league.

So you're sort of insinuating that Bellator's HW division has and maintains a deeper talenth depth than that of the UFC HW division? See, call me traditional but that I don't buy. If you were to wind the clock back a bit and say that Pride was superior to UFC, that I could certainly get on board with. But in modern-day MMA, UFC is premier league.

No, I’m not talking about depth nor
comparing the divisions. I think Bellator has a pretty weak HW division that was stronger when Minakov, Ivanov, and Volkov were around. I’m saying Volkov had faced tougher style matchups in his time in Bellator than his time in UFC, so far. I don’t buy the clearly improved since his dynamic striking, range, and movement was apparent there as well. I’m not saying he sucked. He was the champion there and won 2 tournaments I believe but his matchmaking in UFC has played more to his strengths where as Kongo and Johnson exposed huge holes that we haven’t seen evidence that they have been filled and UFC hasn’t given him that kind of fight yet. Kongo wasn’t that long ago and his hapless performance vs Johnson was even less time ago. Kongo has since gone on to defeat Johnson as well. Kongos ability to rag doll weaker fighters hasn’t diminished at all. We have no evidence that Volkov is all of a sudden past that in 2 years.

The reason I reference it at all is that people were crapping on Kongo on yesterday saying he couldn’t be top 10 in the shallow UFC HW division when that is asinine considering all the favorable matchups for a fighter like Kongo in the division including a guy currently in the top 3-4 range.

Kongo would beat him again

I think Volkov has improved his tdd a little bit, but Kongo is a matchup nightmare for him. Volkov will always have problems with huge grapple heavy fighters. The same way that Kongo has trouble when he can not impose his grappling game on guys (why a much smaller king mo was able to beat him.)

There’s always a little UFC bias.

If a fighter who loses in Bellator succeeds in the UFC, that means he improved.

If a fighter who loses in the UFC succeeds in Bellator, that means Bellator is weak.

If a fighter who wins in Bellator fails in the UFC, that means Bellator is weak.

If a fighter who wins in the UFC fails in Bellator, that means he got worse.

Yup. People are gonna be like "he's improved" but tbh I don't think this rematch would look any different if it were to take place 3 months from now. Werdum was taking him down at will pretty much and he's not a guy known for wrestling or good TD's, not to mention I don't think Volkov has the one shot power to put The Darkness out.

UFC let Kongo go early, he was a great gatekeeper and you knew whoever could get by him had great potential or was already a very good fighter. Fights weren't the most exciting but in a thin HW division I believe he had and still has a purpose to this day.

Back