Would Matt Hughes be top 9 in today stacked welterweight division?

Lol at Colby having better striking. He got outstruke by Maia.<Lmaoo>

Easily! WW has not evolved as much as people think

Champion : Tyron Woodley woodley by ko
1 Stephen Thompson Matt get tool'd
2 Rafael Dos Anjos ^
3 Colby Covington Colby by better striking
4 Robbie Lawler lawler by ko
5 Demian Maia Matt get submitted
6 Jorge Masvidal masvidal by ko
7 Darren Till till by ko
8 Neil Magny mangy by UD
9 Kamaru Usman by whatever he want
Hello kid that just got kicked out of Matt Hughe's gym. Welcome to the forum.

18j0ghwoh46pejpg.jpg

It's really kind of a ridiculous idea to compare a fighter of a different era to the current one.

Lol at Colby having better striking. He got outstruke by Maia.<Lmaoo>

LMAO. I didnt want to say nothing cause their striking both suck but I think Matt might be better. Also I think Matt Could have beaten some of those guys in a good night. Against all those 9 fighters I would say he would go 3-6. The only definite losses for him are Till, Stephens and Woodley

If Colby is #3 then Hughes sure as hell could be #3. Is anyone really going to argue that Colby has better wrestling, subs, and strength than Prime Hughes? (And I like Colby)

Prime Matt? He would be top 3 given his skillset. Also if matchmaking allows him to avoid Maia that would be super.

He was doing what Khabib does before we even got Khabib. Prime Hughes was a bulldozer.

Brought to you by the same jackass who created hit threads such as "Wonderboy is the greatest striker in MMA history"

<36><{hughesimpress}>

It's really kind of a ridiculous idea to compare a fighter of a different era to the current one.

Not really. MMA fghting evolved a LOT during the early days, and from the early days to the 2nd generation. But from the 2nd generation to the current generation it hasn't evolved as much as people like to think.

Hughes was a destroyer. And he would destroy today. And I say this as a guy that doesn't even like Hughes as a person. But as a fighter, the dude was a monster and a rare combo of talent, brute strength and mental fortitude.

Last edited:
If Colby is #3 then Hughes sure as hell could be #3. Is anyone really going to argue that Colby has better wrestling, subs, and strength than Prime Hughes? (And I like Colby)
Ya Colby only got that by beating Maia and I guarantee prime Hughes could’ve done the same. Maia is great, but if he can’t take you down he gasses himself out trying to. He’s also struggled with big wrestlers on top of him. Weidman beat him on a weeks notice. Shields rolled with him well. Rory stopped the td’s and lit him up.

No. For one, I think people would be shocked at how small Hughes looks next to modern welterweights. Matt's wrestling would carry him against some guys, but the very best Matt Hughes ever would lose to almost all of the UFC Top 15.

If we are going to compare Hughes with fighters today then let's give Hughes the benefit of having today's training methods. I think he would be top 5 either way possibly higher. Hughes was an excellent grappler that had heart for days. Even if he loses, I can't imagine him getting "tooled"

Back