Would PRIDE have gone out of business if the UFC hadn't been around?

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If there hadn't been a UFC competing with PRIDE back in the day, would PRIDE have still folded? The UFC had the North American market covered and PRIDE had the Asian markets covered. So without a UFC the north american mma fans would've had to watch PRIDE instead, and that would have increased PRIDE's profits. I know us hardcores usually watched both orgs back then, but I imagine with no UFC, PRIDE still would have made more money. The word of mouth that helped the UFC's popularity boom in North America, would've been word of mouth about PRIDE instead.

And I know one of the main reasons stated for PRIDE's demise was the Yakuza scandal, and that supposedly caused them to lose their tv deal. But I don't know a lot about that or what all happened behind the scenes with that. Or even if Zuffa had some sort of hand in that. Who knows? Pride held a couple cards in Vegas which weren't very successful. But with no UFC around, would those American cards have been more successful? Would there have been more American cards? Could they have secured an American tv deal once they lost their Japanese tv deal?

I figure many of you are more knowledgeable about the intricacies and moving parts that all contributed to the demise of PRIDE than I am. So I ask you, if there was no UFC around in those days, do you think PRIDE would still have closed it's doors? Or would they still be around today?

Last edited:
I think the tv deals involved also meant yakuza involvement. I don't think there was any possible way. It wassnt legitimate but it sure was a fun ride.

The Japanese cards wouldn't be at prime time either.

Yakuza scandal brought down Pride plan and simple

The Japanese cards wouldn't have, but with no UFC I imagine PRIDE would've been a lot more successful with American cards. And I think they'd have done a lot more of them here.

I reckon it's Yakuza and their in-ability to go global. The UFC basically bought an empty company with a lot of kick ass fight video archive. The US fans not being able to get into the screaming (intro) lady's voice, which is what Pride's atmosphere is, I felt, where the US audience is stuck in. WWE is still popular now, man.

RIP Pride and their kick ass intros - Gomi's fireball flying around the arena (via broadcast FX team) still trumps over any recent UFC (broadcast FX team) work.

RIP K-1 - 3 fights in 1 night was brutal, but also showed how bad-ass one could get.
Masato, Buakaw, The Doctor, Kyshenko, Zambidis, etc. etc. too many to mention.

Last edited:
If there hadn't been a UFC competing with PRIDE back in the day, would PRIDE have still folded? The UFC had the North American market covered and PRIDE had the Asian markets covered. So without a UFC the north american mma fans would've had to watch PRIDE instead, and that would have increased PRIDE's profits. I know us hardcores usually watched both orgs back then, but I imagine with no UFC, PRIDE still would have made more money. The word of mouth that helped the UFC's popularity boom in North America, would've been word of mouth about PRIDE instead.

And I know one of the main reasons stated for PRIDE's demise was the Yakuza scandal, and that supposedly caused them to lose their tv deal. But I don't know a lot about that or what all happened behind the scenes with that. Or even if Zuffa had some sort of hand in that. Who knows?

I figure many of you are more knowledgeable about the intricacies and moving parts that all contributed to the demise of PRIDE than I am. So I ask you, if there was no UFC around in those days, do you think PRIDE would still have closed it's doors? Or would they still be around today?

The Yakuza-scandal would have been revealed to the public either way, regardless of UFC or not.

Yes. Puroresu and even a dying K1 had bigger draws. Japanese are very fickle to trends-yes, mma is but a fad. There's still some shows but the number of decent prospects have dwindled.

And imo, that was the beauty of Pride. Like watching fireworks or flower viewing. Everything that is beautiful doesn't fade, it goes away in an instant leaving only a memory.

The Yakuza-scandal would have been revealed to the public either way, regardless of UFC or not.

Don't you think they could've secured an American tv deal if there was no UFC around, though?

Or been more successful with American ppv sales?

not live ones they had same day/next day PPVs and they still out did the UFC the Japanese fans alone made them bigger then the UFC. Hows the UFC doing in Europe and Asia catering to American prime time fans? The event time didn't hurt Pride and doubt it would if the tv deal didn't get dropped and they stayed around.

Yes but DREAM could have picked up the pieces and stayed alive

The Japanese cards wouldn't have, but with no UFC I imagine PRIDE would've been a lot more successful with American cards. And I think they'd have done a lot more of them here.
They came to America because they was fucked in Japan MMA is only as big as it is now America due to TUF. Pride had no choice in the matter no MMA orgs was doing shit in America until TUF so coming to the US would've been useless for Pride. Being on Fuji TV made Pride more money then a few US events or PPV ever would've they didn't need the American market.

It was my understanding that the UFC barely had a presence in Japan other than a couple of events there. I don't think the UFC had much effect if anything on Pride's demise. If there was no UFC, Pride would still have folded as it came apart due to internal issues.

And imo, that was the beauty of Pride. Like watching fireworks or flower viewing. Everything that is beautiful doesn't fade, it goes away in an instant leaving only a memory.

giphy.gif

not live ones they had same day/next day PPVs and they still out did the UFC the Japanese fans alone made them bigger then the UFC. Hows the UFC doing in Europe and Asia catering to American prime time fans? The event time didn't hurt Pride and doubt it would if the tv deal didn't get dropped and they stayed around.
I think youre right but forget that the American market outweighs the smaller countries by far. We have cards that start at 4 in the morning and I would kind of resent paying for a ppv that's pre recorded nowadays with the amount of social media and mainstream media out to ruin the result for me. I know it doesn't seem that long ago but times have really changed when it comes to the ability of communication.

It was my understanding that the UFC barely had a presence in Japan other than a couple of events there. I don't think the UFC had much effect if anything on Pride's demise. If there was no UFC, Pride would still have folded as it came apart due to internal issues.
Yea they did have way less presence. For the Japanese these events were like a modern day gladiators given history and tradition.

Strikeforce/EliteXC would eventually become Pride's biggest competitor, followed by Bodog/WEC

Back