Would you consider Albert Einsteins Travel Diary Observations Racist?

Oh my, what's the play here?

Quite tempted, I am, to lift Trotsky's temp ban. He'd have the balls to say what he's been trained to think, and call Einstein "fucking stupid".

No compromises.

100 yr old views are not like modern progressive perspectives born out of the information age!?!?!

I'm just shocked.

I would say racist yes, not necessarily inaccurate.

He was a very smart man, need to at least consider his views.

i wasn't offended by his musings. When you first see someone squat like that to eat meals it is startling. There is a herd mentality over there as well.

Glad I don't have a diary after spending memorial week in South Beach Miami.

ahhh, ok, I thought this was something recent. yeah, he was a pretty xenophobic dude.

In Lovecraft's case, I think it was the fear of everything alien that inspired the "horror" in his books. He was, by all accounts, a nervous wreck with severe anxiety who could barely leave his own house.

One of his recurring themes is that the "primitive races" in fact, understood more about the true nature of the world, than the so-called civilized nations. That was a thought that he wrestled with until his death, which inspired many of his horror stories. He came to believe that men were indeed, beasts, and that civilization was largely a facade, outside of its capacity to cultivate in-groups.

There was more "nuance", I suppose, to his xenophobia, than him merely being an ignorant supremacist. It was the nature of his being that had determined him to be hostile against any alien influences to his life.

Last edited:
More culture shock in the pre interweb days.

Yeah, this was a pre-WW2 German guy going to underdeveloped places for the first time and experiencing culture shock. Ignorant? Of course. Calling children "spiritless" is pretty ignorant.

But by the 1940s he was spending time in black neighborhoods in segregated New Jersey, hanging out with random black people around town, and calling racism a "disease." He said he felt a connection to them because of how the Jews were treated in Germany.

I think we pigeonhole people too easily, especially from different eras. Even the way people talk about Malcom X often seems to completely ignore his drastic change of opinion later in his life. People have bad ideas, and if they are smart, they overcome those bad ideas and develop better ideas. That's what happened with Malcom X, and that's what happened with Einstein.

meh...

probably some of this shit is taken out of context. plus that was written he was still living in Germany. not too far fetched considered where he grew up and where he travelled.. he probably saw some really fucked up shit abroad...

He joined the NAACP in Princeton and championed for civil rights for African Americans... sooooo is he racist..? i'd say no.. not later in his life in the US for sure.

In other news, 1st century Christians owned slaves and were communists.

Yeah, this was a pre-WW2 German guy going to underdeveloped places for the first time and experiencing culture shock. Ignorant? Of course. Calling children "spiritless" is pretty ignorant.

But by the 1940s he was spending time in black neighborhoods in segregated New Jersey, hanging out with random black people around town, and calling racism a "disease." He said he felt a connection to them because of how the Jews were treated in Germany.

I think we pigeonhole people too easily, especially from different eras. Even the way people talk about Malcom X often seems to completely ignore his drastic change of opinion later in his life. People have bad ideas, and if they are smart, they overcome those bad ideas and develop better ideas. That's what happened with Malcom X, and that's what happened with Einstein.
Same with Gandhi too. In some of his early writings he had some not so pleasant things to say about Africans but later in life saw them and other colonized peoples as fundamentally united in the struggle against imperialism.

Same with Gandhi too. In some of his early writings he had some not so pleasant things to say about Africans but later in life saw them and other colonized peoples as fundamentally united in the struggle against imperialism.

Intelligent people grow and progress over time. It's almost impossible for them not to, it's part of being intelligent.

The Jewish scientist described racism as "a disease of white people" in a 1946 speech at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania - the first university in the US to award degrees to black people.
Does he include himself / Jews in the "White people" category? Cause while the US gov. and society as a whole visually treat Jews as White, Jews do see themselves as separate.

It is a BS comment from Einstein, to state that only Whites are afflicted with Racism. How could anyone who has traveled and is educated make such an ignorant comment.

Retroactive outrage?

People need to get laid more or something.

Oh my, what's the play here?

Quite tempted, I am, to lift Trotsky's temp ban. He'd have the balls to say what he's been trained to think, and call Einstein "fucking stupid".

No compromises.

Trotsky is still posting just with his other account.

After the Chinese take over the world we should build a time machine and bring 1920's Einstein over. He'd probably have a stroke!

He joined the NAACP in Princeton and championed for civil rights for African Americans... sooooo is he racist..? i'd say no.. not later in his life in the US for sure.

That doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't genuinely racist. While major Jewish orgs champion anti-racism in the Western world, they still ardently support Israel and its nationalistic and tribal interests. You can say the same of Muslim orgs. that within Muslim majority countries they are steadfast in upholding Islam's primacy and domination but when they are in the West, they are all about tolerance, multi-cultural ism and anti-racism.

In short: these non-European descended groups supporting anti-racism in the West does not mean they are genuinely progressive; they are just looking to undermine White gentile power cause it is in their ethnic or sectarian or racial interest to do so.

Back