Would you currently favor Floyd against the top welterweights?

VanMMA

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know it's hard to tell because he hasn't been active for close to 2 years, but I'm wondering.

If he were to return, would you favor him against:
  • Thurman
  • Danny Garcia
  • Spence
  • Brook
  • Khan
  • Porter
Which ones would you favor, and not favor him against?

Maybe Porter and Khan but none of the others. But if he's slipped a lot in the last two years they might all beat him.

I would favor him over everyone but Danny. Danny puts him to sleep.

He'd beat Khan, Thurman, Garcia, and probably Brook because none of them pose significant stylistic issues for Mayweather. None of them are particularly comfortable on the front foot pressuring their opponents, and none of them would outbox Mayweather. Porter's pressure and physicality could cause real problems for an aging Mayweather, although, I'd struggle to see Porter win. Spence would be a real handful. Of course, it is tough to know just how much Mayweather has left in the tank, but if he's still somewhat similar to what he was against Pac and Berto, I would only give Spence a genuinely good chance of beating him.

You mean Garcia?
{<jordan}

Floyd's shoulder roll would get him busted up and put to sleep.
5.gif

Mayweather is about as bad a style matchup as I can imagine for Garcia.

Mayweather is about as bad a style matchup as I can imagine for Garcia.

The other way around. Floyd is fat footed and stay in the pocket and Danny has enough craft to land on him. Floyd would counter him and tea off with the lead right but he would have to eat shots and Danny shots hurt. Floyds been caught by Cotto,Marcos,Pac,Shane and so I don't see why Danny couldn't catch him too.

giphy.gif

The other way around. Floyd is fat footed and stay in the pocket and Danny has enough craft to land on him. Floyd would counter him and tea off with the lead right but he would have to eat shots and Danny shots hurt. Floyds been caught by Cotto,Marcos,Pac,Shane and so I don't see why Danny couldn't catch him too.

giphy.gif

When Garcia has to go and find his opponent, he pretty much always struggles. Garcia would get outboxed all night and wait on a counter left hand that would never be there. I don't think I've ever heard Floyd described as being flat-footed, or that he always stays in the pocket. I'm not entirely sure you're being serious.

When Garcia has to go and find his opponent, he pretty much always struggles. Garcia would get outboxed all night and wait on a counter left hand that would never be there. I don't think I've ever heard Floyd described as being flat-footed, or that he always stays in the pocket.

Watch his fights with Shane and Cotto. He walks himself into the rope and stays there looking for the counter, yes he does throw the jab and walks his oppents into rights but once there get inside, he allows them to work. That is the reason Marcos,Cotto, and Oscar did well against him. He doesn't jump out of the pocket quickly. his oppents always have time to get off shots, He is just to good for them to land many but they didn't have to look for him the way Manny or Saul did. floyd can change up,no qustion but when he feel his is bigger and better, he stays there in the pocket.

giphy.gif

Watch his fights with Shane and Cotto. He walks himself into the rope and stays there looking for the counter, yes he does throw the jab and walks his oppents into rights but once there get inside, he allows them to work. That is the reason Marcos,Cotto, and Oscar did well against him. He doesn't jump out of the pocket quickly. his oppents always have time to get off shots, He is just to good for them to land many but they didn't have to look for him the way Manny or Saul did. floyd can change up,no qustion but when he feel his is bigger and better, he stays there in the pocket.

giphy.gif
Danny Garcia can't fight inside, so none of that really matters. He would also never be in position to land a meaningful left hook so......

Also, Floyd will never hang around mid range long enough for Garcia to set his feet to punch effectively. He would either tie up, or get all the way out.

Danny Garcia can't fight inside, so none of that really matters. He would also never be in position to land a meaningful left hook so......

then he can counter/time Floyd lead right from the outside
giphy.gif

I would favor him over everyone but Danny. Danny puts him to sleep.
You crazy
Floyd would put a beating on Garcia. Floyd would be smacking him with right hands all night. Jab to the body, uppercut him smack over hands into his skull.
Also Floyd isn't flat footed… that is ridiculous he is multifaceted he can fight inside and outside. Comparing a shoulder roll attempt by Matthyse to money is crazy, that is on par to comparing a random sketch I drew to fine art.…

I would favor Floyd over all of the guys listed but put spence as the closest or most likely to beat him.

giphy.gif
No, he won't. None of that happened against Thurman, hence he lost, he ain't beatin Floyd Mayweather. Floyd's jab to the body alone would throw his timing off badly. There's a reason Danny opted to fight the Herreras and Salkas of the world instead of challenging Floyd.

giphy.gif
Well the biggest difference there is
A. Judah is a southpaw.
B. Judah was relying on speed to land that right.
C. Judah has been declining for years and his footwork has suffered the most which is why after the right he was still there to be hit.

May's lead right.
A. Is coming from orthodox and is usually thrown from a pivot to the outside already limiting the right hands retaliating potential.
B. While may leads with it is is usually thrown when a guy is walking into it trying to track may down.hence speed is a natural boon for this maneuver but the maneuver is not reliant on the speed factor.
C. Even the recent may who has appeared more "fat footed" does not just leave himself to get tagged. The only guys who have pinned him on the ropes to unload are better then Danny (pac, maidana (better at bullying),

Even now Floyd beats Khan, Garcia and Porter. I'd favor him slightly over Brook and Thurman. I'd actually favor Spence to beat him in a close fight.

Well the biggest difference there is
A. Judah is a southpaw.
B. Judah was relying on speed to land that right.
C. Judah has been declining for years and his footwork has suffered the most which is why after the right he was still there to be hit.

May's lead right.
A. Is coming from orthodox and is usually thrown from a pivot to the outside already limiting the right hands retaliating potential.
B. While may leads with it is is usually thrown when a guy is walking into it trying to track may down.hence speed is a natural boon for this maneuver but the maneuver is not reliant on the speed factor.
C. Even the recent may who has appeared more "fat footed" does not just leave himself to get tagged. The only guys who have pinned him on the ropes to unload are better then Danny (pac, maidana (better at bullying),

I understand that Zab was decling but so if Floyd right now. But he is still better than Zab and fresher. Floyd's jab to the body would hurt Danny the most I think but I still think Danny could get him to the ropes and than would catch him trying to slide out.

Wu0A7RX.gif

I understand that Zab was decling but so if Floyd right now. But he is still better than Zab and fresher. Floyd's jab to the body would hurt Danny the most I think but I still think Danny could get him to the ropes and than would catch him trying to slide out.

Wu0A7RX.gif
So, where was this against Thurman? Oh yeah, it didn't happen, right?

If he hadnt taken 23 months off and kept fghting after Berto he'd still be king of the mountain, scalping all the young tigers. Too much fight knowledge and nobody really does anything to surprise him. Only if his reflexes diminished to the point of losing his defense.

Back