Would you currently favor Floyd against the top welterweights?

I understand that Zab was decling but so if Floyd right now. But he is still better than Zab and fresher. Floyd's jab to the body would hurt Danny the most I think but I still think Danny could get him to the ropes and than would catch him trying to slide out.

Wu0A7RX.gif
Respect you stick to your guns.
I disagree with you again I don't think th situation would happen. Floyds pivot game is much higher so he wouldn't just try and slide out plusfloyd is great at smothering in the clinch

He beats them all. I think Porter might give him the roughest ride though.

He beats all of them. None them can out time him. Spence might give him some trouble with his size and power but timing will win in the end.

Floyd just made the biggest mistake in the history of boxing.

Floyd just made the biggest mistake in the history of boxing.
Doubt anybody will know what you're talking about unless you spit it out. Floyd is the best business is the best decision maker and business mindset of a boxer in history. All the other legends either get robbed by their promoters/irs, had crossdressing photos leaked, or get suspended over politics, etc...

I understand that Zab was decling but so if Floyd right now. But he is still better than Zab and fresher. Floyd's jab to the body would hurt Danny the most I think but I still think Danny could get him to the ropes and than would catch him trying to slide out.
If someone as average as Herrera can tripple the jabs that Garcia landed on him, Floyd will walk through "Swift" like a "breeze".
ImpossibleBarrenCorydorascatfish.gif

Danny will eat these str8ts all night:
DamagedHandyDugong.gif
tumblr_nns8qxDSW81u2ragso1_r1_500.gif

In what way will McGregor be able to effectively use his weight advantage to win rounds? This fight is going to be boxed from distance and Floyd is going to piece him up. It would only be worse if Conor tries to fight Floyd on the inside where he has no experience to speak of.

Fighting at 154 may give Conor better punch resistance and more stamina which will likely only elongate the beating.

I just do not see a scenario in which this is not a one-sided fight regardless of the weight class.

You'd think someone who actually follows boxing wouldn't fall for this farce... You're not being serious, are you?
My initial post was tongue in cheek but the more we learn, the more the stage seems set for something astonishing to happen, I'm a hopeless romantic.

Of course Floyd dominates but we need a reason to tune in:)

Lots of you guys are putting tons of faith in the skills of a guy who hasn't fought in two years. He is a purely skill based fighter and age plus retirement isn't doing him any favors. The question isn't did he deteriorate in the last couple years, it's how much did he deteriorate. Two years ago Floyd would have been my pick against all those guys. Right now I would say at least a couple of those fights are toss ups.

Of course the Connor fight won't be an indicator of anything whatsoever since the only guy on that list that would have any kind of chance to lose against the MMA fighter in the ring would be Khan. At 147 with 8 ounce gloves Connor would have a chance to knockout Khanman just like every other fighter he's ever fought because his chin is shit.

If he hadnt taken 23 months off and kept fghting after Berto he'd still be king of the mountain, scalping all the young tigers. Too much fight knowledge and nobody really does anything to surprise him. Only if his reflexes diminished to the point of losing his defense.
Yeah, people seem to quickly forget how damn good Floyd is owing to their personal feelings for him. He is the closest thing to being flawless I have really ever seen in sports, tho he may not be as entertaining as a young RJJ. However, like with RJJ, there comes a day when you start to slip and we really have no idea where he is, tho he is still likely head and shoulders above the field owing to how big the gap was before.

The only chance Conor has is that he is just so awkward, like the GOAT Lord Lobov, that he catches Floyd with something. Because obviously, if he boxes Floyd, he is getting muh-murk-ed. Im sure we will be gifted many memes either way.

Lots of you guys are putting tons of faith in the skills of a guy who hasn't fought in two years. He is a purely skill based fighter and age plus retirement isn't doing him any favors. The question isn't did he deteriorate in the last couple years, it's how much did he deteriorate. Two years ago Floyd would have been my pick against all those guys. Right now I would say at least a couple of those fights are toss ups.

Of course the Connor fight won't be an indicator of anything whatsoever since the only guy on that list that would have any kind of chance to lose against the MMA fighter in the ring would be Khan. At 147 with 8 ounce gloves Connor would have a chance to knockout Khanman just like every other fighter he's ever fought because his chin is shit.
I dont think Floyd will fight again after this so we will never really get to find out. I kinda wish Floyd fought in the old days, when guys would fight like once a month, so we could see just how good he really was. I feel like he was a Ferrari or something but just drove around the parking lot going 20mph and never really put the peddle to the metal. I have no doubt that he could have competed with way larger fighters and probably beat BHop, GGG, etc. And strangely, I think this blue ball frustration that people have with fighters, the lack of super fights, the ducking/dodging and cherry picking of so many fighters in boxing and MMA is why Conor got so huge.

And lol at Khannman : Imagine if Conor did KO him? LMFAO!!!! Poor Amir, got all the skill in the world but a chin made o' glass.

I don't even think Floy fucks with the shoulder roll, as he seems to prefer more of the earmuff defense against southpaws, he'll find is distance, shut down Conor's only weapon which is his left hand, and find a way, as he always does, even at his old age, to piece Conor up and probably do it worse than he has to any of his last handful or two of opponents.

It really baffles me that people are treating Conor fucking Mcgregor like he's Eris Lara. Just ridiculously silly imo. Now Eris/Floyd would be a real fight, this is simply a freakshow where the only question is how bad Conor will get his ass kicked. Yes this is a fight where Floy might actually take a fw chances against by far the shittiest boxer he has faced since he was a young kid.

And also a la Danny and Floy, Paulie got stopped against Swift but even he was able to shutdown that hook of Danny's so I doubt Floyd would ever get hit clean with it either. He'd make Danny come after him, start avoiding the hook and/or blocking it, then proceed to start countering and finding what offense works for him. Lets be honest here, Danny isn't hard to hit and Floyd will have ample opportunities to land whatever he wants.

I can't see any of them beating Floyd unless he has slipped a lot and I mean a lot. Then I'd say maybe Spence and Thurman but I think it's very unlikely.

I know it's hard to tell because he hasn't been active for close to 2 years, but I'm wondering.

If he were to return, would you favor him against:
  • Thurman
  • Danny Garcia
  • Spence
  • Brook
  • Khan
  • Porter
Which ones would you favor, and not favor him against?
Spence being southpaw and Khans speed give him problems depending on how much he's slipped.

Edit: And Porter obviously. Porter gives everyone problems

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pick Spence at this point over Floyd, love Floyd but having that Frankenstein's monster constantly throwing bombs at your head and body, who is WAY bigger, who's a southpaw, who's got a ton of power, has a great chin as we saw against Kell, and who never stops coming at you, let alone his youth.

Thats an extremely tough matchup for a 40 y/o Floyd. I don't want to see it, Floy could very well win but I love both these fighters and their styles, literally two of my favorite styles, pure boxer of the highest caliber, vs a super aggressive power puncher who wants to kill you and won't stop coming until you put him to sleep. Great matchup but I'm taking Errol here. That's the only one that beats him though and we're talking about old Floy not prime or close to prime Floy.

I'd pick Spence at this point over Floyd, love Floyd but having that Frankenstein's monster constantly throwing bombs at your head and body, who is WAY bigger, who's a southpaw, who's got a ton of power, has a great chin as we saw against Kell, and who never stops coming at you, let alone his youth.

Thats an extremely tough matchup for a 40 y/o Floyd. I don't want to see it, Floy could very well win but I love both these fighters and their styles, literally two of my favorite styles, pure boxer of the highest caliber, vs a super aggressive power puncher who wants to kill you and won't stop coming until you put him to sleep. Great matchup but I'm taking Errol here. That's the only one that beats him though and we're talking about old Floy not prime or close to prime Floy.

I've been feeling this way for a few years about potential Floyd match-ups. Floyd could always turn back the clock and deliver a classic performance (like he did against Canelo), but when a guy is 40 years old and walks around at a 155 pounds it is really hard to pick him over a big, young, and talented guy like Errol Spence.

I said the same thing a few years ago about him fighting GGG. If they were the same size and age, Floyd would box his face off. But at some point you can't expect a guy to beat up monsters that are 20 pounds heavier and 5 years younger than him. Floyd is barely human, but he is human.

When boxers get older and way past their prime, I prefer to see them against guys at a similar point in their career. For example, I'd tune in to watch the current version of Floyd vs Cotto. But throwing Floyd or Cotto in there with young guys (who also happen to be bigger) just seems wrong.

I've been feeling this way for a few years about potential Floyd match-ups. Floyd could always turn back the clock and deliver a classic performance (like he did against Canelo), but when a guy is 40 years old and walks around at a 155 pounds it is really hard to pick him over a big, young, and talented guy like Errol Spence.

I said the same thing a few years ago about him fighting GGG. If they were the same size and age, Floyd would box his face off. But at some point you can't expect a guy to beat up monsters that are 20 pounds heavier and 5 years younger than him. Floyd is barely human, but he is human.

When boxers get older and way past their prime, I prefer to see them against guys at a similar point in their career. For example, I'd tune in to watch the current version of Floyd vs Cotto. But throwing Floyd or Cotto in there with young guys (who also happen to be bigger) just seems wrong.

couldn't agree more.

edit: Plus now that I think of it, I keep bringing up my bro but we're Irish twins and we both have teh same interest in the fight games, we actually talked somewhat in depth about a senior tour of sorts for both mma and boxing recently. Floyd is still great but he has miles and is old, same with Cotto. Let them fight other older guys who are greats but still aren't completely washed *cough cough RJJ*

Last edited:
Back