Would you give the edge to pre-Shogun Lyoto over Rumble?

Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
2016 LHW Rumble vs 2008 Lyoto.

Very interesting stylistic matchup.

What advantages would each have over the other, and who do u think wins?

Rumble is a wrecking ball of destruction.

Not sure any version of Lyoto could beat him.

I just had a dope Rocky 3 painted image in my head of Lyoto’s straight left and Rumble’s right hand

Rumble would pressure Machida and knock him out. Hell, I might even take Rumble over prime Shogun.

No. I would pick Rumble over prime machida and prime shogun. Rumble was legit.

Would have been a good one, Rumble was surprisingly fast with his striking, not Machida or Rua fast, but quick enough where Machida wouldn't have been able to pick his spots and avoid damage like he did to so many other strikers.

I see Rumble getting countered hard by Machida. I'm not sure the counter would KO Rumble tho. Could see rumble getting the KO eventually.

I honestly see it as a 50/50.

Rumble has a good chance against either in their primes. I don't think the pace Machida pushed would do well against Rumble. Shogun was known to get a little wild when he's throwing down, a well timed burst from Rumble could end his day easy. Gotta make Rumble work, grab him, and tire him out. Good TDD, but straight ass off his back.

Honestly, at that time Machida was still a puzzle to be solved. I could see a frustrated Rumble burning his gas tank and getting rekt in rounds 3-5, or at least until Machida put him away. Machida was really good at being patient and not being influenced by the crowd. It was boring at times, but it was effective.

I think Lyoto would have scored a UD over Humble.

Pre-Shogun, Lyoto was the least hit fighter in UFC history, and everyone who fought him said it was absolutely maddening the way he would wait and pick his shots.

A big portion were his reflexes were fast as fuck, also.

I could see Rumble whiffing until he gets tired and Lyoto scoring a UD or a TKO if it's a 5 rounder.

I would favour 2016 Rumble; fighting has evolved in the years since Machida was champ.

Machida dominates the point fight until Rumble catches him and ends him like he did Gus.

Prime Machida was basically impossible to hit. Took Shogun two attempts to figure out how to stop him.

I think Machida wins an uneventful decision via not committing to his strikes.

However, Rumble can easily smoke anyone on the feet so... yeah.

Man a counterstriker against a aggressive wrecking machine.

I'm actually going to pick Rumble because he only loses to RNC. Machida can't risk going punch for punch with Rumble.

Prime Machida would take DC.
No. Sokoudjou was able to force a ground fight against Machida even though he lost.

DC at worst humps him for entire fight. At best he beats Machida bloody and tears his head off during a sub.

That Rumble was beating everyone except Jones & DC. What a beast.

Gus's destruction & crying was beautiful.

Rumble absolutely mauls both. Only people that beat him at LHW are DC and probably Jones.

Shogun takes a shot better these days, so I give the edge to him, I don't think either would win though.

Back