would you let your 9 year old use an mp3 player on the bus to school?

My daughter has some issues as school because she doesn't want to grow up and act like a teenager like the other kids her age. She just wants to be a kid. Because of this she gets picked on by kids for not being cool enough. She gets teased on the bus a lot so I let her take an old phone (galaxy s2) that has no data, no play store, no games, nothing. All it can do is play music.

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset.

I pretty much got lectured today that I'm being irrsponsible for letting her bring electronics to school at 9 years old. It's funny too because she used to have a little tiny mp3 player she would bring and no one said shit about it but now it looks like a phone we get berated about it.

I could go get her a real mp3 player but why should I spend on that to appease nosey folks in the neighborhood.

I'm 41 and when I was in school we all brought out walkmans with us. It was never a problem. I believe music is a positive (we control what songs she can bring) in people's lives. Has this changed just because of kids being around electronics too much?

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I'm hessitant about giving into pressure.

Am I wrong? What does sherdog think. I'm open to changing my philosophies. I'm not always right and I don't always consider outside perspectives but I just hate the idea of taking her music away because of nosey parents getting upset.
What's an mp3 player?

5a689cb300d0efa6028b4eda-750-563.png

They can fuck themselves. You're not in the wrong here.

Don't fold, ALWAYS stand up for your children. Especially in the face of adults.

Kids can be expected to stand up to other kids, but if any adult is trash talking what your kid is doing you don't budge one inch. Idk what kind of rich honkey twat parent is lecturing you, but you stand up for yourself and your own.

This is a shame. The girl's 9, she should be acting like a kid, and so should the rest of them. The other parents are being cunts imo, but true to human nature, instead of trying to empathise and understand the situation they just screech and stamp their feet.

She probably dreads getting on that bus, and if she's carrying that feeling through the day, then that's not an easy thing to deal with. I'm not sure if drowning the bullies out with music is the answer, but I don't know. Hopefully this passes and it works out for her.

Is it causing your kid stress at school? If so splash out 25 bucks and get her an mp3 player problem solved. so

To save your daughter any more hassle than it sounds like shes getting .. Go and buy her a mp3 player you fucking lunk head

Ps its not the kids getting upset here it immature adults ..
We're only on day 2 LOL. I didn't think it would cause an issue. I'm considering buying her one but at the same time if the phone works as an mp3 player then why should I buy anything else.

Just to clarify, my kid is a champ at taking things in stride and she can definitely stand up for herself. Kids bugging her usually is forgotten about very quickly. She's also been in martial arts for 3 years and won 2 golds at last years tournament. We do not EVER tell her to use martial arts as bragging rights. She has never used it out of class but I know against kids her size and age she's going to be able to defend herself.

i find it hard to believe that your kid "doesnt wanna be like the other kids", "doesnt wanna act like a teenager" and "just wants to be a kid" lmao come off it man

also yes at 9 a smartphone should already have been given to them

Well, this sucks for your kid. Even if you "win" and she gets to keep her mp3 player, the kids will resent her for the special treatment they perceive she's getting. I would worry less about the mp3 player and worry more about finding ways to help her socialize with her peers. I'm sure it's more the other asshole kids to blame, but still, bullying at that age can have effects later in her life.

My daughter has some issues as school because she doesn't want to grow up and act like a teenager like the other kids her age. She just wants to be a kid. Because of this she gets picked on by kids for not being cool enough. She gets teased on the bus a lot so I let her take an old phone (galaxy s2) that has no data, no play store, no games, nothing. All it can do is play music.

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset.

I pretty much got lectured today that I'm being irrsponsible for letting her bring electronics to school at 9 years old. It's funny too because she used to have a little tiny mp3 player she would bring and no one said shit about it but now it looks like a phone we get berated about it.

I could go get her a real mp3 player but why should I spend on that to appease nosey folks in the neighborhood.

I'm 41 and when I was in school we all brought out walkmans with us. It was never a problem. I believe music is a positive (we control what songs she can bring) in people's lives. Has this changed just because of kids being around electronics too much?

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I'm hessitant about giving into pressure.

Am I wrong? What does sherdog think. I'm open to changing my philosophies. I'm not always right and I don't always consider outside perspectives but I just hate the idea of taking her music away because of nosey parents getting upset.

I have three kids, one in college, one about to graduate high school and my youngest is in 5th grade. I tell you that because I've been in and around elementary school for many years. When my daughters elementary lets out, all the kids are walking down the sidewalk with cell phones in their hands, some of them with nice ass iphones. It actually blows my mind. The school doesn't allow them to be turned on during school hours but they all have phones starting about 2nd grade where I am.

i find it hard to believe that your kid "doesnt wanna be like the other kids", "doesnt wanna act like a teenager" and "just wants to be a kid" lmao come off it man

okkkk no cap i hadnt read OP before typing this post and now it doesnt make as much sense

anyway yes get a mp3 u dig

Just to clarify, my kid is a champ at taking things in stride and she can definitely stand up for herself. Kids bugging her usually is forgotten about very quickly. She's also been in martial arts for 3 years and won 2 golds at last years tournament. We do not EVER tell her to use martial arts as bragging rights. She has never used it out of class but I know against kids her size and age she's going to be able to defend herself.

Its great that shes like that .. But remember shes just 9 ... And kids can be aweful to each other.. So no matter how much you think shes taking it all in her stride, never underestimate how much someone will keep from you to protect you.

Why is that hard to believe? My kid could give a shit about popular culture and being cool. She just wants to be herself.

She has a tablet. There is no need for a functional smartphone at this point.

Its great that shes like that .. But remember shes just 9 ... And kids can be aweful to each other.. So no matter how much you think shes taking it all in her stride, never underestimate how much someone will keep from you to protect you.
Great advice. Thanks!

They are not allowed cellphones, no other kid has one. So you send her to school with one and now you are the type of person who wants to argue "actually technically it's not a phone anymore because I disabled blah blah and and it's incapable of this and that", its a still a phone no matter what you do. Get a mp3 player. Teach her to stand up for things that matter not trivial bs.

I'm surprised anyone cares that much. My nephew is 10 and has a cellphone, so do his classmates, apparently the teacher doesn't even mind. I don't get why the parents care, it's not affecting their kids in any way. Technically it's not just an MP3 player, it can dial 911 still so it's even better for a young girl. There's no reason for them to be concerned, don't let them parent your kid because they don't want to deal with their own. But maybe check in on her about the subject in the future to see if it's a problem for her, I doubt it though, kids are always petty and jealous of things whether it be clothes, pogs, or a holographic Charizard. They'll probably move on in a week at most.

They are not allowed cellphones, no other kid has one. So you send her to school with one and now you are the type of person who wants to argue "actually technically it's not a phone anymore because I disabled blah blah and and it's incapable of this and that", its a still a phone no matter what you do. Get a mp3 player. Teach her to stand up for things that matter not trivial bs.
Lots of other kids bring a phone. It's the parents rule, not the school. If that were the case I wouldn't send her with a phone. I dont think I've done anything wrong here but like I said I'm open to changing my view.

I couldn't be a parent, but to answer your question TS I'd let her keep the phone, and I'd tell any and all other parents to mind their own business.

Fuck those other parents. Unless there is a specific rule regarding kids not being able to bring electronics. Those other people are just pissed because now their kids are asking parents for a cell phone. I would not be happy if my kids had this issue with their school, stand up for your daughter, good luck, I know its a pain in the ass.

Back