would you let your 9 year old use an mp3 player on the bus to school?

Lots of other kids bring a phone. It's the parents rule, not the school. If that were the case I wouldn't send her with a phone. I dont think I've done anything wrong here but like I said I'm open to changing my view.
I wouldn't say you did anything wrong ,per se, but if there is some sort of 'no cellphone rule' amongst you guys, you giving your kid a phone and then saying "hey guys ,i know what this looks like....but..."
That was just obviously going to bring unnecessary attention, despite what the reality is, it just sounds kind of like bullshit.

I'm of the mindset that it's not really the other parents business, BUT, kids are going to be kids. And if your kid has something that everyone else doesn't, it's going to draw attention. A phone is a pretty big deal for a 9 year old, imo.

There are battles worth fighting ,this one doesn't seem like one of them to me.
A mp3 player is like what...$15.99 at Walmart?
How long is this bus ride anyways? I'm not necessarily against my kid having a mp3 player, but i wouldn't want them to get too reliant on technology, and always 'needing' to have some sort of technology in their hand. A big part of school is learning how to socialize and interact with people.

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong ,per se, but if there is some sort of 'no cellphone rule' amongst you guys, you giving your kid a phone and then saying "hey guys ,i know what this looks like....but..."
That was just obviously going to bring unnecessary attention, despite what the reality is, it just sounds kind of like bullshit.

I'm of the mindset that it's not really the other parents business, BUT, kids are going to be kids. And if your kid has something that everyone else doesn't, it's going to draw attention. A phone is a pretty big deal for a 9 year old, imo.

There are battles worth fighting ,this one doesn't seem like one of them to me.
A mp3 player is like what...$15.99 at Walmart?
How long is this bus ride anyways? I'm not necessarily against my kid having a mp3 player, but i wouldn't want them to get too reliant on technology, and always 'needing' to have some sort of technology in their hand. A big part of school is learning how to socialize and interact with people.
We have no set of unwritten rules. All these other kids involved have real functional phones but I didn't know their family rules on bringing them to school. We live semi rural and her bus ride is bordering on 30 minutes each way. Obviously if we had some community parent group and had agreed on anything like that I wouldn't allow my kid to break the rules. As for the mp3 cost this is literally day 2 and I just got bombarded with messages this morning. I'm considering buying an mp3 but at the same time I'm not the type that likes having my hand forced.

I like that you have the instinct to fight against other people telling you how to parent, but at the same time, this maybe isn’t the hill to die on. If you can get her an mp3 player which accomplishes the same thing & makes everybody happy, then I would just do that.

If people were telling you they don’t like her listening to music or some crazy shit like that, then I would say tell them to fuck off, in a nice way. But if they are just saying that it looks like a real working phone which is causing some kind of issue with them / the rest of the kids not bringing phones, then I would just fix that problem with no loss to your kid’s ability to listen to music.

We have no set of unwritten rules. All these other kids involved have real functional phones but I didn't know their family rules on bringing them to school. We live semi rural and her bus ride is bordering on 30 minutes each way. Obviously if we had some community parent group and had agreed on anything like that I wouldn't allow my kid to break the rules. As for the mp3 cost this is literally day 2 and I just got bombarded with messages this morning. I'm considering buying an mp3 but at the same time I'm not the type that likes having my hand forced.
I see. Yeah, i get it.
I don't think you're in the wrong here then. These people seem incredibly nosey though. Thats pretty damn bizarre that people care enough about this to actually confront you about it...you would think your kid was coming to school with a pocketknife or something.

I don't like the idea of being forced either, but as I said ,all battles aren't worth being fought, especially when it could be your kid that could take some shrapnel for it.
Fighting for her right to use an old phone as an mp3 player just doesn't seem worth it to me, when there's a simpler, cheap solution at hand.
An Mp3 player saves headaches, and everyone can just move on from this nonsense, your kid gets her tunes, and you now know who the dickheads in the community are.
It's a win for all
<Fedor23>

Why is that hard to believe? My kid could give a shit about popular culture and being cool. She just wants to be herself.

She has a tablet. There is no need for a functional smartphone at this point.
well i realized i fuckt up in that post a bit so i made a new one cause cant edit on dubs lel

but anyway what i meant with that is if ur kid is anti everything her peers are its probably either passed down social outcastism (antisocial parents) from her parents or trauma or insecurity i dont think at 9 shes really thought all of this chit thru but idk maybe uve got a genius in which case im wrong ofc

That's retarded, you're not wrong at all...my 10 yr old has an iPad that's actually issued by his school...they're obviously restricted with what they can access, but I think they can still use it to play games, etc and just use it for fun in addition to what they're supposed to be using it for for school...

Thanks Mayberrians. This has helped not want to rage on people quite as much when I get home from work.

@Peteyandjia I think you've worded this in a smart way and I may just take you're advice. I appreciate it.

well i realized i fuckt up in that post a bit so i made a new one cause cant edit on dubs lel

but anyway what i meant with that is if ur kid is anti everything her peers are its probably either passed down social outcastism (antisocial parents) from her parents or trauma or insecurity i dont think at 9 shes really thought all of this chit thru but idk maybe uve got a genius in which case im wrong ofc
She isn't really anti social at all. She just loves to play and if the kids are trying to be little adults she'll just go play with other kids. It's usually by choice and then the kids bug her for making a decision that didn't involve them. She surprises my how strong she is on the inside and outside and how well she can ignore a situation she doesn't want to be a part of.

She isn't really anti social at all. She just loves to play and if the kids are trying to be little adults she'll just go play with other kids. It's usually by choice and then the kids bug her for making a decision that didn't involve them. She surprises my how strong she is on the inside and outside and how well she can ignore a situation she doesn't want to be a part of.
well u obv know more than me so not gonna argue lol i hope everything works out

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset. ...
Sounds like they deserve some profanities in their direction.

If it's not allowed by the school, then you shouldn't let her take one. That's the school rules and you should follow them. Because you can't expect the teachers to go around checking the kids phones and seeing which ones have google play and youtube installed and whatnot. Also, you don't want to teach your daughter that it's okay to break the school rules. That will come back to bite you many times over the next few years LOL.

Whether the other parents are upset or not shouldn't factor into your decision at all. Fuck those people. They need to mind their own business.

But yeah if it were me I would buy her a dedicated mp3 player like this one. They're super cheap, less than 10 bucks for the really cheap ones, and only about 30 for the good ones.

4552900_sd.jpg

My daughter has some issues as school because she doesn't want to grow up and act like a teenager like the other kids her age. She just wants to be a kid. Because of this she gets picked on by kids for not being cool enough. She gets teased on the bus a lot so I let her take an old phone (galaxy s2) that has no data, no play store, no games, nothing. All it can do is play music.

Well apparently this has caused an uproar with some of the neighborhood parents cause their kids are not allowed to bring a phone to school. Even though I've explained what my kid is using has no capability as a phone they are still upset at me because their kids are upset.

I pretty much got lectured today that I'm being irrsponsible for letting her bring electronics to school at 9 years old. It's funny too because she used to have a little tiny mp3 player she would bring and no one said shit about it but now it looks like a phone we get berated about it.

I could go get her a real mp3 player but why should I spend on that to appease nosey folks in the neighborhood.

I'm 41 and when I was in school we all brought out walkmans with us. It was never a problem. I believe music is a positive (we control what songs she can bring) in people's lives. Has this changed just because of kids being around electronics too much?

The wife and I are going to discuss this tonight but I'm hessitant about giving into pressure.

Am I wrong? What does sherdog think. I'm open to changing my philosophies. I'm not always right and I don't always consider outside perspectives but I just hate the idea of taking her music away because of nosey parents getting upset.

I see now why youre looking forward deadpool

Lots of other kids bring a phone. It's the parents rule, not the school. If that were the case I wouldn't send her with a phone. I dont think I've done anything wrong here but like I said I'm open to changing my view.

Oh man I thought it was the school's rule that they can't have phones. Well if it's just the other parents rules then screw them. As other posters have mentioned though, if the phone causes your daughter to get picked on even more, then re-think this.

Also, if your daughter is having trouble socializing, having the phone might isolate her even more. Now she'll sit there listening to music all by herself, when if she didn't have the phone maybe there are a couple kids on that bus that aren't jerks and she could be talking to them.

i find it hard to believe that your kid "doesnt wanna be like the other kids", "doesnt wanna act like a teenager" and "just wants to be a kid" lmao come off it man

also yes at 9 a smartphone should already have been given to them
Lol you're such an obvious dumb fuck troll it's absolutely amazing.

What do people like you get out of trolling? Real life just has lost it's luster to you? So sad.

Too many uppity fucking bullshit hipster parents in Toronto man

Edit - nevermind thought you were from Toronto cause of the av lol

I say get your daughter and iPhone X and some Beats by Dre so all those dickhead kids can be jealous. Maybe get into boxing so after a while she can beat up those kids.

Kids are so mean.

Fill that school with uppercuts

Tell them it's because their kids are little assholes who pick on her for being a kid, and then ask them if they want to know how you'd raise them. When they say no, then tell them to mind their own damn business about how you raise your daughter.

Back