Would you like to see Muay Thai do away with gloves/wraps?

Crimson Glory

Go Pack Go!
@red
Reaction score
The way I look at it, gloves are just a way to use the fist as a weapon that otherwise wouldn't be a primary one. It's so prone to breaking that it can be more of a danger to your own self to throw a punch at an opponents head.

There have been talks about the sport of MMA, that they should remove gloves. One, because as I said it gives a false sense of using the fist as a primary weapon, but also because it means more head trauma due to being able to go hard and reckless with punches to an opponents skull.

Given punches, besides maybe the jab, aren't always the most prominent in the sport, why do they bother wearing gloves?

And wouldn't clinching/grappling in MT be easier with bareknuckle?

Sorry for the nooby question, I've just always wondered why they adopted the Boxing glove to the sport.

Would lead to a lot of hand injuries i'd imagine, i'm fine with the gloves. Like Yodsanan said they use handwraps in Lethwei if you're really into that.

Would lead to a lot of hand injuries i'd imagine, i'm fine with the gloves. Like Yodsanan said they use handwraps in Lethwei if you're really into that.
But that's what I'm saying, without gloves you'd have more broken hands, which would mean fighters would have to throw them more cautiously. No gloves = fewer punches(especially reckless punches).

They've been using gloves for nearly 100 years. No. Go watch a different sport.

No.

The boxing gloves are a big part of striking defense. Muay Thai is just fine the way it is.

Without gloves I reckon any kick that's not perfectly checked would break hands and it would be a mess.

Fair enough guys.

I like Muay Thai, the gloves aren't going to keep me from enjoying the sport.

But that's what I'm saying, without gloves you'd have more broken hands, which would mean fighters would have to throw them more cautiously. No gloves = fewer punches(especially reckless punches).
If you watch Lethwei its actually the opposite. They throw hands constantly and swing them furiously. They do a ton of bone conditioning which is probably why they don't break their hands all the time.

As to the question; I like variety. I like Lethwei, I like CMT, I like MX, I like card chuek, and I like regular gloved muay Thai. Variety is the spice of life.

it is actually the tape/wrap and not the glove that protects the hand

Back