• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

*Would you prefer 5 rounds fights of 3 minutes each instead of the actual 3 x 5 minutes format?*

More rounds would favor striker, cause every round starts on their feet. It will also work against point fighters, that manage to win a couple of rounds to secure a decision.
5-3-3-3 for non title fights, 5-3-3-3-10 for title fights

5-3-3-3 for non title fights, 5-3-3-3-10 for title fights
Gives you a normal chance to finish if your the better fresh fighter. An action packed rounds 2-4 and if you're better conditioned and or the better fighter you get the finish in 5 if not before

Gives you a normal chance to finish if your the better fresh fighter. An action packed rounds 2-4 and if you're better conditioned and or the better fighter you get the finish in 5 if not before
Or go 4-4-4-4-8

The strikers get enough of an advantage from that. There’s no need to increase it. While severely handicapping the grapplers.

I like grappling. I really do but I never understood this.

The point of fighting is to end a fight as soon as possible whether in the cage or in the streets. If grappling needs time to be effective, is it really an effective fighting style?

All fights start standing. That is the nature of the beast. Instead of saying grapplers need more time, what grapplers need to do is find ways to get fights to the ground quickly. Demian Maia and Charles Olivera have numerous submissions within the first three minutes of a round. Grapplers should be like them.

I’d prefer 10-10-5 for title fights. 10-5 for non or no breaks at all.

3 minute rounds is too short for MMA. 5 minute rounds are already too short

The point of fighting is to end a fight as soon as possible whether in the cage or in the streets. If grappling needs time to be effective, is it really an effective fighting style?

All fights start standing. That is the nature of the beast. Instead of saying grapplers need more time, what grapplers need to do is find ways to get fights to the ground quickly. Demian Maia and Charles Olivera have numerous submissions within the first three minutes of a round. Grapplers should be like them.
Intuitively it seems more time helps grapplers because submissions need time to set up. However, a few minutes of research suggests to me that most subs might actually happen early in a round.

It could still be the case that more time benefits submissions, not because it actually takes 3-4 minutes to lock in the sub but because fighters want a cushion with which to work. So maybe with 3 minutes left in the round you fight for position but with only 10 or 20 seonds left you give up and throw strikes.

Looking at Frank Mir's career, he has experienced 7 UFC finishes in the last 2 minutes of a round. 5 losses (all by KO/TKO) against only 2 wins (1 KO, 1 submission). The submission was one of the best of all time, his kimura victory over Big Nog.

If strikers need free stand ups at the end of every round of arbitrary time, is it really an effective fighting style?

No reason to do this, the fight already starts standing so strikers should be more focused on keeping the fight where they want it.

Honestly, once per fight, if the other guy agrees, you should have to start the round in his closed guard. If you can't finish from top or at least escape the guard, you don't deserve to win.

Too late to change at this point. 3 minute rounds would be more exciting and favor more explosive fighters I'm assuming.

More importantly, would lead to even more varied judging

Back