Wrestler vs Wrestler fights where one dominated in the wrestling department?

Jones vs DC I is the obvious answer, although Jones pretty much turned into a freestyle fighter.
I'd disagree. DC was emotional and gassed trying to force a takedown early instead of boxing Jon up first. When he was exhausted, Jones took him down. DC got the last takedown. Neither guy dominated the other in that fight, especially in wrestling, DC fought stupid though and lost because of it.

I'd disagree. DC was emotional and gassed trying to force a takedown early instead of boxing Jon up first. When he was exhausted, Jones took him down. DC got the last takedown. Neither guy dominated the other in that fight, especially in wrestling, DC fought stupid though and lost because of it.

So that still sounds like Jones out wrestled him if DC couldn't get the takedown, Jones also took DC down early in the fight from what I recall...maybe even twice in the fight.

So that still sounds like Jones out wrestled him if DC couldn't get the takedown, Jones also took DC down early in the fight from what I recall...maybe even twice in the fight.
The thread is about wrestlers who dominated another wrestler, Jon may have got the better of DC but he didn't dominate him. I wrestled over a decade, there's a difference between dominating and edging someone out. Wrestling is more than just takedowns, and neither guy controlled the other in that fight. It was closely contested throughout.

Khabib vs Abel Trujillo

Trujillo won a NAIA national championship if I remember. Not super stellar but also not an easy task in wrestling.

Yeah I don't even consider hendo a wrestler lol
He was an Olympian for crying out loud, but his defense has been notoriously bad in MMA, no doubt.

Mendes / Lentz
GSP / Trigg
Caldwell / Warren
Chandler / Hawn and Girtz
Jury / Johnson
Trujillo / LeVesseur
Brenneman/ Story
Mighty Mouse / Moraga and Elliot

Frye vs Coleman (but I've read Frye had a cold)
Tito vs the Janitor

are the two that come to mind.

That one was seriously shocking, Rashad just schooled him, made the fact that Davis wore his singlet to the weigh ins that much more embarrassing for him.
That was the best Rashad there's ever been IMO

The thread is about wrestlers who dominated another wrestler, Jon may have got the better of DC but he didn't dominate him. I wrestled over a decade, there's a difference between dominating and edging someone out. Wrestling is more than just takedowns, and neither guy controlled the other in that fight. It was closely contested throughout.

DC's offensive wrestling got neutralized pretty early so he couldn't really get it going, largely due to Jones long frame and excellence at keeping range. If DC kept spamming take downs it wouldn't have went any differently.

DC's offensive wrestling got neutralized pretty early so he couldn't really get it going, largely due to Jones long frame and excellence at keeping range. If DC kept spamming take downs it wouldn't have went any differently.
He did spam takedowns because of what Jon said when they first met. DC fought to prove his wrestling was better right out the gate, which was a bad move in the cage. DC probably thrashes him on the mat but in the cage Jon had a lot of defensive advantages that his length boosted like using the wall and strikes to the body. The shame of it was that DC was boxing Jon up when he got close but he was so focused on the takedown that it ruined his best chance at winning and Jon won the grind from there.

Kazuyuki Fujita vs Mark Kerr

image_crop.php

Last edited:
What are some match ups that have happened where both fighters are known for their high-level wrestling, but one guy was able to dominate the other in the wrestling department and the fight didn't end up being a striking match?

GSP put a clinic on both Fitch and Koscheck

Nope. Chris got him down twice. Sure Yoel got back to his feet shortly, but still. Very impressive.

Yoel was never a good defensive wrestler. Jacare took him down as well. If I recall, several other fighters did as well.

Back