Wrestlers who could have gotten over in multiple eras?

catchwrestle

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Who are guys you feel could get over no matter what era they wrestled in? Many people hail the talent from the attitude era as being so much better, but I"d argue that many other guys could have gotten over if the restrictions had been taken off of them like it was for the attitude guys. Even now when the Rock comes back he's the only guy on the show allowed to drop a few curse words and innuendos. To me that's cheap. I'll start with 3.

1) Flair- his charisma was untouchable. Could do his thing from New York to Texas and be a clean or as raunchy as you wanted

2) Undertaker- The funeral parlor guy, the Dead Man, the Ministry, the American Badass, the MMA guy, The Streak. He constantly evolves with the times

3) Chris Jericho- The Lion Heart, The man of 1001 holds, the First undisputed champ, Y2J, The Savior, the Bon Jovi rip off with a scarf and a list. He can make anything into gold, maaaaan.

Honorable mention Dustin Rhodes. Dude went from a cowboy to.....whatever Goldust is and is now like the longest tenured guy on the roster

3 decades of greatness

let’s make it 4

Terry Funk is the obvious pick

NWA Champion in the 70's

One of the most hated wrestlers in the states in the 80's. Big draw for All Japan also

90's comes and he gives the rinky dink promotion ECW its only credibility

2000's comes and he still is a draw working the indies, and does a run with the WWE at 60 where he was still over....

Brock Lesnar woulda got over in the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, whenever the fuck
That dude is a monster and would've made a great touring attraction in the territories, sorta like an evil Andre The Giant

Brock Lesnar woulda got over in the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, whenever the fuck
That dude is a monster and would've made a great touring attraction in the territories, sorta like an evil Andre The Giant

Nah. Brock would have never made it a bigger territory where you had to cut a promo on tv. Andre didn’t cut promos but he was a much bigger freak, pun intended.

Brock wouldn’t even be the most massive, athletic or roided dude with guys like Ron Fuller, von Erichs, Billy Graham and Austin Idol around.

Nah. Brock would have never made it a bigger territory where you had to cut a promo on tv. Andre didn’t cut promos but he was a much bigger freak, pun intended.

Brock wouldn’t even be the most massive, athletic or roided dude with guys li

I dunno, first run Brock was probably one of the most talented big guys of all time.

Guys who could've gotten over in any era, post 1950s as a legit top star or top 1-2 off the top of my head
- Hogan, Flair, Michaels, Lesnar, T. Funk, Jericho, Big Show, Angle, Savage

And how is Lesnar not bigger (size/mass) and more athletic than Austin Idol, Superstar Billy Graham and the Von Erichs? He may not be as ripped but in terms of sheer size and athletic ability, none of those guys could touch him. Add his legitimate amateur prowess, he's a draw anywhere he goes. Just like today, give him a heel manager and he does damage.

Guys who could've gotten over in ANY ERA:
- Lesnar, Angle

Last edited:

Brock wouldn’t even be the most massive, athletic or roided dude with guys like Ron Fuller, von Erichs, Billy Graham and Austin Idol around.
Ron Fuller?
LooooooooooL
Youre outta your element kid
Please dont try and school me about the territories
You ever heard of Mongolian Stomper?
Probably not but you know how many promos he cut?
Zero
Lord Humongous?
Zero
Killer Khan?
Zero
Great Muta?
Zero
Abdullah The Butcher?
Zero

There was a thing in the territories called mamagers and they did the talking for the guys who couldnt work the mic
Brock is a monster that can work and had a legitimate background
Verne Gagne, Bill Watts and Vince Sr wouldve fell all over themselves fighting to be the first to bring him in

giphy.gif

Ron Fuller?
LooooooooooL
Zero
Lord Humongous?
Zero
Killer Khan?
Zero
Great Muta?
Zero

There was a thing in the territories called mamagers and they did the talking for the guys who couldnt work the mic
Verne Gagne, Bill Watts and Vince Sr wouldve fell all over themselves fighting to be the first to bring him in
Didn't stomper start cutting promos and it hurt his gimmick? I think it was lawler's book that I read that in.

"Could" or "did"?

Anyways, "Stone Cold Steve Austin" would work in any era as a heel or a face, anywhere.

Ron Fuller?
LooooooooooL
Zero
Lord Humongous?
Zero
Killer Khan?
Zero
Great Muta?
Zero
Abdullah The Butcher?
Zero

Ive watched plenty of Mongolian Stomper etc. How many of these were very top guys like Lesnar is? You know Dusty/Flair/Andre level. Every territory had a big talker on top. Yeah give Lesnar a Hart and he’d be an almost top guy. He wouldn’t be the top as he is in the WWE. He’s also the exception that proves the rule in WWE.

Oh and Stomper fucked himself from time to time with his promos in the states unlike in Canada where he was talking. So don’t dad me.

Ron Fuller?
LooooooooooL

Lesnar is as massive in terms of sheer size as anyone in the history of pro wrestling history but he actually has actual athletic ability and is a national champion in amateur wrestling.

Lesnar is legitimately one of maybe 2 guys who could have gotten over in any era. Put him in the late 1800s/turn of the 20th century with the likes Hackenschmidt, Gotch, Farmer Burns and Lesnar would still get over in an era where legit skills were necessary and promo/mic skills were non-existent.

Put Lesnar in the 1910s-1930s with guys like Toots, Zbyszko, Stretcher Lewis and he's still get over.

Put Lesnar into the 1940s-1950s with the likes of Thesz, Rogers, Whipper Watson and he'd still get over.

From 60s-early 80s, he still would be a promoter's wet dream as wrestling entered the TV era so he's got the size, mean streak, ability, the look, and they wouldn't have much to worry about in terms of someone trying to get one over on their champion.

While lists like GOATs, workers, etc can easily be disputed, the idea that Lesnar could not get over in the previous era is absolutely absurd.

I was going to say angle but I figured that his size would have held him back in the earlier periods. There were smaller guys in the late 90s hesistant to sell for him.
Naw, Angle had the personality to survive not to mention the skill that promoters wanted. If not in the WWWF/WWF in the 80s, he definitely would've survived and thrived in the NWA. Angle and Flair are almost a wash when it comes to size while Angle's background dwarfs Flair.

Again, Lesnar and Angle are the only two locks for me. They are the only two I firmly believe would be a top star or perennial contender regardless of era, be it the 1890s or 1930s, 1960s, or 1980s.

Now a guy like Hogan, in the TV era, would definitely survive and thrive but go to the turn of the century to the early 50s, it would be very tough

Last edited:
Ive watched plenty of Mongolian Stomper etc. How many of these were very top guys like Lesnar is? You know Dusty/Flair/Andre level. Every territory had a big talker on top. Yeah give Lesnar a Hart and he’d be an almost top guy. He wouldn’t be the top as he is in the WWE. He’s also the exception that proves the rule in WWE.

Oh and Stomper fucked himself from time to time with his promos in the states unlike in Canada where he was talking. So don’t dad me.
Andre The Giant was a good talker?
LoooooooooooooL again
Have you ever heard that marble mouth motherfucker gargle his way through a promo?
In my original post I clearly stated that Brock wouldve made a great touring attraction like Andre, Abby, Brody, etc
He would not stay in one place and be a top guy like Flair or Dusty but when he came in you better believe he'd pop the houses, make all the money and then be on his way to the next town to do it all over again
Thats a top star

I appreciate that youre trying to learn about the old days but when you say Ron Fuller wouldve outshined Brock Lesnar and Andre was good on the mic, its kinda hard for me not to razz you just a little bit

Back